24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man I hated doing those oil changes on the Tundras I owned, some engineer needed a swift kick in the nuts over that filter design and location. The best gift Toyota ever gave their owners is the 4.0 L in the Tacoma’s and 4skins, you can do an oil change in 5 minutes with nearly zero mess!

GB2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut

First thing I did last year when we bought an '11 Lexus GX 460 w/95K miles

Seems my kit even came complete with filter too...$53 from Amazon

Still a PIA to change

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

this kit also come with wrench to remove/install

my new to me '03 LX 470 comes with the good ole fashioned filter

whoo hoo !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Man I hated doing those oil changes on the Tundras I owned, some engineer needed a swift kick in the nuts over that filter design and location.

I absolutely hate those damned oil filters, the design is the most retarded piece of engineering I've ever seen. Toyotas are almost all I'll own because I've had such great service out of them, but I can't believe they'd put such a stupid designed oil filter on their engines.

I cuss that thing every time I change oil in my 2016 Tundra. I had a 2014 Camry that had the same type oil filter and it sucked just as bad. I traded it for a 2018 Camry and they went back to a spin on oil filter for 2018, changing oil in it is much, much easier than the 2014. Hopefully the new engine in the next generation Tundra will go back to a spin on filter too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya, the wife’s Lexus has the same F@#$ing design and it makes the biggest damn mess every time I change her oil. My sons Tacoma is a 2nd gen 4.0l and it s sooo damn easy compared to the Lexus or a Tundra. Google 4.0 liter Tacoma oil change on YouTube and will make you even madder than you are now,

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by SeanD
My local Walmart had the wrench for $5. The cast metal one, not the stamped sheet metal which slips like crazy.

Will pick up a cast metal tool to replace the sheet metal one. Thanks

NRA lifetime member
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My new to me 2003 Lexus LX 470 has the real deal spin off filter

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Be getting one of these soon. Pricy but allows one to use a screw on filter like we all used to.

In my future.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was skeptical of the newer design, using the reusable filter housing and disposable element, before I bought my Tundra. However, after nearly four years, I found it to be a non-issue. In fact, I liked the ease in being able to inspect the pleats of the filter element. My first oil change had manufacturing debris in the element, which was not unexpected.

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/10/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no problem with spin-on filters, but the current Rubik's Cube isn't that difficult. Remove the filter housing. Replace the element. Reinstall the housing.

grin

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/10/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GeoW

Be getting one of these soon. Pricy but allows one to use a screw on filter like we all used to.

In my future.
$200 to be able to use a spin on? Screw that. The cartridge isn't that hard to do. It only takes a minute longer than the spin on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
2010 4runner here w/ 224K. I've done all the oil changes except the first 2. No problems with the nylon OEM filter housing. The key is using the correct tool (not the 3.99 sheet metal cap wrench) and proper torque. There are lots of tools out there but I've found the Motivx with the slots works best. It doesn't stick like the non-slotted ones do. I think the spec is 20# on the housing which I've found is as soon at the housing comes tight you are at 20#. Also, install a new o ring in the correct location each time. If you king kong a titanium housing you will have the exact same problems as the OP had with the nylon one.
All that being said I've got nothing against the aluminum housing. It sure looks nice. But what if you cross thread it during installation? Which one is going to damage the block threads, the nylon one or the aluminum one? My biggest gripe is the damned skid plate removal. I still haven't figured out the angle on those hooks- at least when using low profile ramps.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I noticed that the Motiv socket-style filter wrench, which is cast metal, could be installed incorrectly if not paying attention. Definitely want to rotate it around the filter housing until it is fully seated, if using that one. If not, then it won't fully engage the tabs on the housing.

Even though I bought and installed the metal filter housing, I am not 100% convinced that it is better than the original plastic one. In my mind, the metal casting can have internal inclusions/defects from the casting process that would seem to be very difficult to detect or inspect for. My guess is that you'd have a better chance of getting a 100% correct part with the plastic. Obviously the metal one is less likely to deform.

With the older engines, it seems like there was a problem removing the plastic housing. That is what my buddies told me, with their trucks. They said it felt like the plastic was going to break or get rounded edges. Like Flav's. The metal housing solved the high removal torque for them. But like I posted earlier, my engine block and plastic housing didn't have that problem. Basically tighten the housing down until it stopped, for installation. And for removal it never felt seized or stuck.

It could have been over torqued at the dealership. I was between houses at the time of the previous oil change and didn't have anywhere to do it myself.

That truck was also bought in MT and almost all it's miles are from that area. I don't know if sub 30-95 + temps would have an effect or not. But it's possible.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I have no problem with spin-on filters, but the current Rubik's Cube isn't that difficult. Remove the filter housing. Replace the element. Reinstall the housing.

grin

I actually like the setup itself because I like being able to look at the element.

But the plastic failed me.

Fershure.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.