Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rob96
DPMS was very much known for accuracy.I had two of them with never a problem function wise.

i got three that shoot great

GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
You guys are remembering a very different dpms than I am.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TWR

I was thinking the same thing...DPMS seemed to find its stride, somewhat, in the 308 realm, but their standard fare was pretty lackluster, overall.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by TWR

I was thinking the same thing...DPMS seemed to find its stride, somewhat, in the 308 realm, but their standard fare was pretty lackluster, overall.

Agreed. The accuracy may be ok, but I have yet to see one finish a high round count event like a carbine class. Their ability to stake anything was consistently absent. There are way to many good choices available to miss DPMS

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Full disclosure, I quit looking at anything dpms years ago after having issues with their guns and parts. I've never looked at their gen 2 308's but jimmyp here had one that was so good, dpms refunded him his full purchase price after trying to fix it. Maybe they finally figured things out?

If you want an accurate 308, get an Armalite AR-10T and start shooting groups instead of 3 shots.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I remember "that" DMPS. Back then they were using their whole name, Defense Procurement Military Services. With a name like that, you had a high likelihood of mil-spec parts right? ...WRONG. I got a crash course in civilian AR parts during the first panic under Clinton and I got introduced to what a cast lower receiver looked like courtesy of DPMS. Not long later as manufacturers jumped onto the free float tube bandwagon, DPMS was notable for using thin walled tubing on their "under the handguard: tubes. Fine if you're shooting off the bench, but not fine for their intended purpose of Service Rifle competition where the tube bears high amounts of pull under sling tension. I'm sure they've evolved since then...but those two experiences were telling for me of the DPMS quality mindset.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TWR
Full disclosure, I quit looking at anything dpms years ago after having issues with their guns and parts. I've never looked at their gen 2 308's but jimmyp here had one that was so good, dpms refunded him his full purchase price after trying to fix it. Maybe they finally figured things out?

If you want an accurate 308, get an Armalite AR-10T and start shooting groups instead of 3 shots.

Not a KA?
What about the Sig TREAD?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I never understood why Remington seemed to favor DPMS over Bushmaster. It always seemed to me that Bushmaster had much better name recognition.
bushmaster did have the better name. but I think their guns were used in some high profile crimes which maybe is why they didn't promote them more. dpms had the gen 2 they never did promote very well.

The sick thing is, after mass shootings, lots of people came into the store looking for a Bushmaster. No one ever said that they didn't want one because of the shootings. What's the old saying "there's no such thing as bad publicity"?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I never had one issue with the two LR-308’s that I owned. Both shot good and were reliable with Wolf, SA and FMMK. I sold them off over the last few months when ammo got hard to find and prices were ripe.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm in and around PSA often.
In the .308 AR platform I can say they are way heavier than diamondback products.
As much as I like local owned (PSA w. FN barrels) I opted for the DB.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by TWR

We can only recite our own experiences. My DPMS LR308 is as and, more accurate than most .308 bolt rifles I have used over the years. It works very well with Varget for the lights and 760 for the heavies. No feed or function issues.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Dpms and Bushmaster both swallowed by Remington and buried by Cerebus who is /was headed by some marriage connection of jo biden. You figure it out for yourself looked completely planned to me.

I've heard this "conspiracy" for at least a decade now...usually tied to Soros...but pick the lefty who makes you feel good.

So let's follow the logic. Cerberus spent hundreds of millions of dollars SPECIFICALLY to run the business into the ground? Yeah, that makes total sense.

Perhaps, Cerberus just isn't very good at what they claim to be good at? Doesn't that seem much more likely than some conspiracy that requires someone to willingly lose millions?

Last edited by GunGeek; 03/17/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Knowing only a little about ARs, the two DPMS rifles that I shot were very accurate. Both had bull barrels and the ones we took prairie dog shooting were VERY accurate, making shots to 500 yards.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
[So let's follow the logic. Cerberus spent hundreds of millions of dollars SPECIFICALLY to run the business into the ground? Yeah, that makes total sense.

If you're spending someone else's money it makes perfect sense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's no conspiracy, Cerberus just really sucks at what they do.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have that same rifle. It's a very good shooter.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
With 168gr Nosler ammo, my DPMS GII Hunter in .308 is the most accurate semiauto I ever have shot.

The American Rifleman reviewer agrees, albeit with Black Hills ammo:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/2/6/review-dpms-gii-ar-308 (“The GII Hunter I tested blew me away with its accuracy. I was primarily testing that rifle for our sister publication American Hunter and didn't even plan to include it in this article, but the performance is too impressive to ignore. American Hunter uses three, three-shots groups with three different loads as a test protocol. With the Black Hills 168-gr. load, the first group measured 0.30". That was the best, but the average of three groups was 0.47". The average for all nine groups was 0.80". From an out-of-the-box AR-L shooting factory ammunition, that is very impressive accuracy.”).

That article also explains the cleverness and innovativeness of their redesign of the AR10 to make it better and about a pound lighter.

Sounds like a contender. I keep hearing about how accurate that rifle is..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by TWR

We can only recite our own experiences. My DPMS LR308 is as and, more accurate than most .308 bolt rifles I have used over the years. It works very well with Varget for the lights and 760 for the heavies. No feed or function issues.

Another contender..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ChrisF

I remember "that" DMPS. Back then they were using their whole name, Defense Procurement Military Services. With a name like that, you had a high likelihood of mil-spec parts right? ...WRONG. I got a crash course in civilian AR parts during the first panic under Clinton and I got introduced to what a cast lower receiver looked like courtesy of DPMS. Not long later as manufacturers jumped onto the free float tube bandwagon, DPMS was notable for using thin walled tubing on their "under the handguard: tubes. Fine if you're shooting off the bench, but not fine for their intended purpose of Service Rifle competition where the tube bears high amounts of pull under sling tension. I'm sure they've evolved since then...but those two experiences were telling for me of the DPMS quality mindset.

Yep. I agree. And BIL has a DPMS 308. The Remington he has shoots circles around the DPMS one... YMMV. I recall them for cheapy stuff that wasn't very good.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by crshelton
Knowing only a little about ARs, the two DPMS rifles that I shot were very accurate. Both had bull barrels and the ones we took prairie dog shooting were VERY accurate, making shots to 500 yards.

Their bull barrels tend to be accurate, but they seem to have dimensional issues with just about everything else.....or at least they did at various times....

DPMS, Doesn't Phùcking Meet Standards.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/18/21.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 45 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.