Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Speaking of gaiters......I picked up a “Buff” brand Merino gaiter this year.

It’s like the damn multi-tool of clothing. Worth every penny.

16 - can you elaborate a bit more - what the heck brand is that? My Kennetreks are getting a bit worn........

Last edited by bwinters; 02/13/21.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one here: BUFF Merino Gaiter

You can configure it 6 ways to Sunday. Headband, hat, neck warmer...just depends on how cold your are.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bwinters
TR I've been working at various 350-400 weight merino. I love merino but it takes a while to dry when I sweat. I've not heard of alpaca socks. I have issues with cold feet, I doubt theyll be too warm for me <G>

I just looked, I have a heavyweight FL layer called Labrador. I don't think they make it anymore. It's full zip and heavy duty. You are right, it doesn't deal well with getting wet.

I also bought 2 sizes too small and it fits me fine. Kinda strange sizing.

Last edited by TimberRunner; 02/13/21.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

You can configure it 6 ways to Sunday. Headband, hat, neck warmer...just depends on how cold your are.

I was thinking you meant boot gaiter blush

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Labrador and loved it. I lost it when all my stuff was stolen in 2018. Replaced it with the FL Sawtooth - same concept except has 40-60 gr of primaloft on the front. I really like it.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Polypro long johns with sock liners and smartwool socks... good warm boots. Any kind of camo pants work... then use 35 year old Columbia Camo Insulated bibs. Light T shirt under a light fleece with maybe another fleece over it. Then a Columbia Wigeon (3 in 1) jacket.... sat out in 6 degree weather and never got cold at all. Balacava and gloves make you warm.

It's all about layering, and regulating heat and moisture loss. Have an old Browning Hydrofleece (3 in 1) that gets used all the time too.

No doubt you can go out and buy better stuff now a days... the old stuff I have works so why buy again. buy once, cry once...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

I feel the same way. Didn't even finish reading the post after I read "run". Might as well throw in platform too, just as bad for me. The clothes I run on my 200lb platform...

laugh laugh

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by fishnpbr
I've always run wool as a first layer, most often Filson heavy weight depending on temps. Next is usually a berber fleece vest with a windproof liner or a Filson 24 oz wool vest. When really cold a wind proof hoodie goes over the base layer. Last is an outer layer that is wind and or water proof, and insulated.

i am a recent convert to vests. I swore them off in the apst due to my concerns that my arms would get cold, but after using one this year over just a base layer and wool shirt im sold. i will probably invest in one of the Sitka fleece vests. and add a Sitka heavyweight hoody. while keeping my puffy jacket and raincoat in my pack as an outer layer for sitting.

I bout a pair of puffy pants as well and wear them over a heavyweight waffle fleece baselayer and fleece pants the search for good boots continues

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I was thinking you meant boot gaiter blush

Get the kuiu gaiters

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
wool under shirt, grid fleece with a hood like Patagonia R 1, kuiu or sitka , soft shell vest vest and a shell if cold/rain with pit zips if cold. Lite merino hat. soft shell gloves

bring a puffy, foam cushion,

Last edited by ribka; 02/14/21.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is not much I cannot get through comfortably with a merino 150 plus base, Patagonia R1 other similar grid fleece like a Klamath, mid weight fleece vest, micro Puffy, and a rain shell. I like a packable puffy and shell. On colder windy days I may replace the RI with a peleton 240 or just wear my shell. These layers are pretty versatile for me. If it is real cold or I am sitting mainly, I will wear a windproof fleece hoody over it all. Cozy.

For pants I have too many options to list but I usually pack superdown when it is cold and a rain pant. I may or may not have on a base depending on the temp. Sometimes I wear jeans, breathable stretchy pants, wool outers, sometimes I were fancier stuff.

The top set stays the same. I always have a gator and gloves too.

Last edited by CBB15; 02/14/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. Sorry for the delayed response I was running. Literally.

After re-reading my post I was a bit surprised I used that word for the reason elaborated by several. I'm not a fan of the word used in conjunction with wearing clothes or about anything else.

I also find it interesting that people can't get past it either. I have a tendency to get past semantics and evaluate the content. My pet peeve is people struggling to make a point because they haven't figured out grammar or sentence structure. I still try to find whatever value there is...........

I enjoy the knowledge base here and use it often. Some of the guys offering substantive input are also the guys I'm most interested in hearing from.

As to base layers, I 'discovered' a Patagonia R1 shirt yesterday I forgot I bought in WY last summer on closeout. I like hoods but this shirt is going to see some hiking time this winter as a double mid-layer. I'll probably run it all winter grin
Though a bit dated, technology wise, but a full Patagonia R1 shirt/pants has worked for me as a mid layer for about 15yrs. The shirt gets worn alot more than the pants, but for me it works very well. If I'm being somewhat active, silkweight base layer with the R1 as midlayer, and microtex Pants/Shirt/Jacket has taken me through some cold hunts.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
.........Which got me to thinking - how do you all do mid-layers when you hike 1-3 miles in, climb 1-2000 feet, then expect to sit or still hunt?

My only concern for those factors are wind stopping material while riding my Honda Pioneer to the stand. laugh

Hike 1-3 miles in, climb 2000’....? I save that for exercise time at home.

So, I am of no help. Although, my recent purchase of the Sitka Elevation 2 hooded jacket surprised me with both wind resistance & DWR abilities. I wore it all day in Utah at 16° in wet snowfall & stayed quite dry inside.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
An update of sorts. I hiked last weekend in the Smokys. Temps were in the low 30s, wind gusts up to 25 mph or so. I wore a FL Aeorwool next to skin, a Patagonia R1 no hood, and a Kuiu Peloton 240. The hike wasnt anything strenuous, about 10 total miles with a 700 foot climb at one point. I only had a 10 lb or so daypack. I started cool but was warm within 1 mile and starting to sweat by mid point of the hike, even with the wind. I suspect it also warmed up into the high 30s, low 40s as well. All told, I think this layer strategy will work well in elk season with temps in the teens, 25 lb pack, and more elevation gain.

I also ordered a Sitka Traverse Zip T earlier this week. Found them on sale and decided to give one a try. They should be warmer than the Patagonia R1 and/or Sitka Core HW hoody. I'll try hiking in the FL Aerowool and Traverse to see how that combo works. I'd bet layering the Kuiu P240 over that will be too warm. The thing that attracted me to the Traverse is is tougher exterior and a bit of wind resistance.

I could do hunting/hiking clothing R&D for a living grin

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m a huge fan of the 240 Peleton. I just adjust the base layer under it for temps. Range from a Patagonia silk weight base, Aerowool, or a heavier Kuiu Merino wool. The wind blocking of the 240 just makes every other layer work better. That’s worked for me on many CO elk hunts in Oct and Nov. The next layer up is an Arc’teryx Atom. Though this year I have a Kuiu Hybrid to try.
Edit:
Base layer: Patagonia silk weight long sleeve
Mid: 240 Peleton
Light Insulation: Arc’teryx Atom
Heavy Insulation: Kifaru LPP
Rain: light rain jacket

The only shortcoming of that for my hunts is the synthetic base layer gets stinky faster. I typically take the Aerowool and the synthetic (it wads up to the size of a fist) so I can rinse the synthetic in a creek if necessary and then let dry.
I do put my money where my mouth is with the 240. I just received a hooded in Valo camo. Also have one in Vais, green, black, and a grey vest. Yes I am a fan!

Last edited by prm; 02/26/21.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting, I have most of the same clothing, except the LPP. I did start using the Peloton 240 at your suggestion. Its works well, especially at blocking wind. I also really like ArcTeryx clothing.

I received the Sitka Traverse Zip T. First, no matter how hard I try, I'm not a Sitka medium except for their Expedition fitted clothing lines. A standard fit medium is simply too tight. Second, I was more than underwhelmed with the shirt. It is a lightly "insulated" shirt with a tougher exterior than many shirts of the same fabric weight. I think a Patagonia R2 would be warmer than the Traverse Zip T.

The other thing I bought is a new puffy from Thlete, their Tailwind Puffy. 133 grams of Polartech Gold in the body, 100 gr in the sleeves, $199. I always wish I had a bit more insulation than my Sitka Kelvin Lite hoody (80 gr). I noticed since I turned 50, I get cold easier than when I was younger. Sitting in a meadow for the last 2-3 hours of light in late October/early November and/or glassing spots is mo' better if I'm not shivering.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Late to this party but the Kuiu Super Down Ultra has been an awesome mid layer for me. It weighs nothing (8 oz), packs up into minimal space, and is very warm and cuts wind very well. I’ve never experienced an article of clothing that provides that much good warmth in that small of a package. Fits well as a mid layer and it looks nice (solid color), I wear it over a t-shirt as an outer layer in the winter here

It’s markedly warmer that the Peleton 240. Together they really provide a lot of warmth

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Late to this party but the Kuiu Super Down Ultra has been an awesome mid layer for me. It weighs nothing (8 oz), packs up into minimal space, and is very warm and cuts wind very well. I’ve never experienced an article of clothing that provides that much good warmth in that small of a package. Fits well as a mid layer and it looks nice (solid color), I wear it over a t-shirt as an outer layer in the winter here

It’s markedly warmer that the Peleton 240. Together they really provide a lot of warmth

I debated over the superdown. A friend has one and loves it. I found an archery cerium on sale and ended up buying that instead. Big fan of the 240 peleton too.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntinaz

I have a Kuiu Super Down and like it. Though it just doesn’t seem to fit in my system right now. It is very warm for weight. Really not comparable to the 240 Peleton in my view. If anything it could replace my Arc’teryx Atom with the Super down. The Kuiu Super down is a little warmer, but does not move moisture as well as the Atom. Both good. I’d prefer the Super Down as a layer under a shell or heavy insulation and prefer the Atom as an outer layer. I rarely add the LPP so the Atom is often my outer layer. FYI, the Arc’teryx LEAF Atom has a heavier outer layer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.