Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
This fall I peeked into my cabinet that houses my factory ammo ( it’s been so long that I looked in that cabinet a bear could’a been hibernating in there) and I have a little bit of this and that for all my rifles. As far as components go I have enough to keep me in elk meat for the rest of my life and then some.

I’m embarrassed to reveal how many Partition 2nds I have. I’m trying to wean myself off SPS........

SPS is an awesome place. Good luck with trying to wean yourself from them.. I always think, these 500 partitions will last me a long time, then after a while look at the bullet containers and see that there's only about 50 left. I wonder where the hell they all go? I bought 500 30 cal 200gr partitions about 3 years ago when they were $13.45/bag. We won't see those prices ever again. I should have bought 2,000!!!!

It was around 2015 (we were are on a 9 month rotation in Kuwait) anyhow sps was having big sales. I should’ve bought 1000 200gr accubonds back then and 180’s too..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Truth be told, if only for hunting purposes, the boxes of handloads in multiple rounds in the cabinet would take me to my death. That said, I am more than good on handloading supplies. I'll be feeding my two of three sons that are recent handloaders. The third I will handload for.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
RL Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am in very good shape for everything - did scramble a little last Nov. picking up 30/30 and .410. Then lost my father at the end of Jan. 2021 - knew he had plenty but didn't know just how much - I was shocked - now between mine and what he left me, his great grandkids can hunt - hope they have the opportunity and hope they can appreciate the forethought.

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
I am nearly out of gunpowder for reloading the small quantities that I do. Good news is that I will probably run out of deer, turkeys, and ducks before ammo in my lifetime.

Last edited by Johnsclist; 03/02/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by memtb
At only 68 years old, I’m good for about 40 or 50 more seasons.....with my preferred rifle! After that.....it could get a bit dicey! grin memtb

I only have about 40 rifles and ammo for every one of them. I don't know how many seasons that is?

I don't know how many seasons for you but typically I hunt 3-5 different seasons with 2 to 3 different rifles each season so I only get to use 1/4 to 1/3 of my rifles every year on game. Their on a rotation schedule but keep 2-3 worked up loads for each about 10 to 15 years worth per gun. Extra scopes, components, knives just refurbished my toyota and have food for a year. Keep extra gas ( rotated regularly). Yeah was a boy scout long enough to learn what " be prepared " means. I have helped others what appalls me is that from 1 panic to the next they don't seem to learn a damned thing. When I was a young several movies left big impression on let's see was Reefer madness, some vd movie in PE, yeah and Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid (I have never run out of ammo).

As hard as ammo is to find , gun parts are no picnic either for all you dry firing cowboys I just shared some good info take heed.. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being a hunter first and foremost, I am covered.

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
So strictly hunting right? I will use as little as 1 and as many as 3 rounds per game species hunt. That being said OI have enough ammo for any of my hunting rifles till the drought ends or I die. Practice, different story. I practice my shooting disciplines with a 22lr for things like determining a drop chart at distance (500+ yards), I'll load up some ammo if I have the components. If I don't, then I don't take that distance shot.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If this year is any indication, I have enuff for eternity. I got the rona at beginning of rifle season and then was diagnosed with cancer right after so I spent this passed season in hospitals and treatment centers. But in normal situations ,I am good for many years. Practice has been moved to using cheap components and reduced loads to lower costs and perserve supply of harder to come by stuff. I would like more .22 lr in my lot ,when available though....

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by hanco
At only 68 years old, I’m good for about 40 or 50 more seasons.....with my preferred rifle! After that.....it could get a bit dicey! grin memtb

I’m 68 too, good for a long time.

Originally Posted by hanco

I’m 68 too, good for a long time.

Another 68. I have about 200 rounds for each caliber I own, I might have a problem when I get to my 5th choice in calibers.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Would any of you share ammo with immeadiate loved ones or would you tell them the Noah's Ark analogy? And take a lesson from it.

Depends on how immediate. There are a couple people I'd give ONE box of ammo to. What they did with that would dictate whether they ever saw another. I don't have enough to waste plinking but nobody in my "crew" who is careful to make their shots count will have to do without.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wyoming260
If this year is any indication, I have enuff for eternity. I got the rona at beginning of rifle season and then was diagnosed with cancer right after so I spent this passed season in hospitals and treatment centers.

Gee Whiz man ! Sorry to hear about C.
Here’s hoping you are recovering & recuping.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wyoming260
If this year is any indication, I have enuff for eternity. I got the rona at beginning of rifle season and then was diagnosed with cancer right after so I spent this passed season in hospitals and treatment centers. But in normal situations ,I am good for many years. Practice has been moved to using cheap components and reduced loads to lower costs and perserve supply of harder to come by stuff. I would like more .22 lr in my lot ,when available though....

Sorry to hear of this partner......thoughts, prayers and best wishes out to you! Cancer is a bitch....bitch-slap it and come back stronger! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I took the “Lifetime Supply” prompt from Bob in NH several years back. I have 5 preferred hunting cartridges & they are all safely supplied until I can’t lift a gun anymore. I am currently 62.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
One thing I didn't think about was shotgun shells. The little .410 may have to go on a long term diet soon. The bigger boys will have to pull their weight a while.

This is where I screwed up too. Plenty of 22LR, 9mm, 45 acp, and 223. Hunting rifles not too worried. Never thought 12ga skeet loads would be a hot commodity. Fook me....

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'll be good for a while to hunt with, my rifles are zeroed and I keep 100ish rounds of 243 and 30-06 on hand. I was well prepared with the commonly horded calibers as I learned from the Obama years but didn't expect to see shelves empty from hunting ammo. If nothing else I have enough hunting ammunition between those two and my 45-70 that I can hunt big game for quite a long time.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm 61 so I think I'm good for the rest of my life.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
[quote=memtb] At only 68 years old, I’m good for about 40 or 50 more seasons.....with my preferred rifle! After that.....it could get a bit dicey! grin memtb

I am 75, and also will not run out, nor will whomever gets my stuff.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There's a big difference in being low on hunting ammo and not having enough. I have a 500yd range set up off my front porch and enjoy going out and randomly shooting at the gongs. I have came to the conclusion that 20+ boxes of ammo for every hunting rifle I own is not enough. When and if this ammo shortage passes I'll make sure to have at least 1k rounds of hunting ammo for every rifle I own and a couple of pallets of 12 ga. You think you have plenty of ammo, but if you can't buy anymore ever you really don't unless you change your shooting habits.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Buy what ever you can for your rifle. If it shoots 4 MOA at 100 get closer, until the crisis goes away.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It appears a person cannot have too much!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,511
Posts18,452,647
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.