Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Stumbled onto an old beat up Mauser chambered in 7x57 at my LGS around 5-6 months ago. Had a nice sporter stock and what I thought was a decent bore. Turned out I had some interesting history with the late owner so it went home with me.

It patterns, not groups. Done everything I could possibly do beside rebarrel( new scope, rings, bed, and trigger along with clean the bore till it shined). Gunsmith who is a friend, just got a nice Zastava Mauser in the owner wanted rebarreled to something other than 8x57 and told him to keep the barrel. He offered it to me for free. So I could:

1. Have him put it on the gun. I need to buy a reamer and go no go gauges( he doesn’t have for this chambering) and he would do the rest. I would then have a 8x57

2. Have him put the barrel on it, give it to me and I’ll send it to JES and have it rebored to 9.3x62. When it gets back to me I’ll have a big thumper.

3. Same as 2 but rebore to something other than 9.3x62 that I’m not already thinking of.

Just looking for opinions from the other gun nuts on the fire.
I really don’t have any notches that need filled but I’m kind of leaning away from the 8x57 because I have 3 30-06 rifles that offer near identical ballistics.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to beat a 9.3 x 62 for a thumper and a nostalgic cartridge on a Mauser action... give it a safari look with the proper barrel contour and sights and it would be a winner...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I bought an old mauser last year just because.
Never owned one, always thought they looked cool with the thumb cut, and why not.

It has a 270 barrel on it and I'm in the same boat. Not really interested in a 270, but what?

I think I'm going 416 Ruger. I have no reason to, but I have no real reason for the rifle anyway. Lol. I shoot mostly 22lr. Hunt with a 280, 243, and just got a 6.5 to play with this year. I Have a plethora of other 30 cal and under guns, so fugg it. Go big or go home.

I about bought a 9.3 barrel a few months back but I balked figuring if I'm going to go bigger than an 06, may as well make it count.

Just trying to see now if getting it to feed will be reasonable. If not, maybe back to a 9.3.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Why swap your current barrel? You could have it rebored to 9X57, .35 Whelen, 9.3X57, or 9.3X62. It also soinds like it fits your xurrent stoc.

I don't see the point of putting a different barrel on just to rebore. I'd just send it off for a new barrel on at that point. BTW you can rent the reamer and gages, no need to buy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you want to see if you can still use the 7 x 57 barrel, try a load of 40 grains of 3031 and then a bullet weight from 139 to 175 grain.. doesn't matter...

if it won't shoot that, the barrel is toast unless you rebore it at suggested...

338/06, 35 Whelen, 9.3 x 62, or just the old 8 x 57....

Mausers are fun things to have around, I like Vintage stuff...

a young man from our Scout troop, who is now 19, used one of my old Mausers in 8mm, on a deer this fall..

the load was 30 grains of 4198, Speer 170 grain SMP bullet, open sights, non bent bolt Mauser.. Turkish, 1920s...

50 to 60 yd shot.. but it dropped the deer who made it maybe 20 yds after being hit...he just buttonhooked and dropped dead..

it was Chads first deer... he now thinks the Mauser is the coolest gun on the planet...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What model action is it? 93, 95, 98?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd stick with 8x57. Very cool old cartridge and ammo is cheap and easy even during the panic. If you went 9.3x62, I wonder if a cross bolt would be worthwhile just as a preventative to protect the stock? I had one installed on a HVA 640 in 9.3 just to help avoid any unnecessary cracks.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Why swap your current barrel? You could have it rebored to 9X57, .35 Whelen, 9.3X57, or 9.3X62. It also soinds like it fits your xurrent stoc.

I don't see the point of putting a different barrel on just to rebore. I'd just send it off for a new barrel on at that point. BTW you can rent the reamer and gages, no need to buy.

I've only had JES do one rebore and the gun shot well to begin with. But I've heard multiple people say if it didn't shoot well beforehand, it probably wouldn't after the rebore either. Guess it depends on if its a metal issue?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
What model action is it? 93, 95, 98?

M98, had a new bolt handle put on it too.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seafire
If you want to see if you can still use the 7 x 57 barrel, try a load of 40 grains of 3031 and then a bullet weight from 139 to 175 grain.. doesn't matter...

if it won't shoot that, the barrel is toast unless you rebore it at suggested...

338/06, 35 Whelen, 9.3 x 62, or just the old 8 x 57....

Mausers are fun things to have around, I like Vintage stuff...

a young man from our Scout troop, who is now 19, used one of my old Mausers in 8mm, on a deer this fall..

the load was 30 grains of 4198, Speer 170 grain SMP bullet, open sights, non bent bolt Mauser.. Turkish, 1920s...

50 to 60 yd shot.. but it dropped the deer who made it maybe 20 yds after being hit...he just buttonhooked and dropped dead..

it was Chads first deer... he now thinks the Mauser is the coolest gun on the planet...

I shot a few different hand loads, none of which did any better than 6-7 moa. I think it’s toast. Saw the zastava barrel and it’s a no brainer to put it on, very nice condition and excellent bore.

Cool story about the Mauser and first deer. I love reading stuff like that.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If the itch must be scratched, I would go with 9x57 Mauser for the coolness factor, plus it is no slouch in the world of "thumpers". Just a thought.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Or 8x60 or 8x64. Merely a rechamber away.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you looked in it with a borescope for copper buildup?

Maybe use Wipeout a half dozen times or so.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

I've only had JES do one rebore and the gun shot well to begin with. But I've heard multiple people say if it didn't shoot well beforehand, it probably wouldn't after the rebore either. Guess it depends on if its a metal issue?

I guess my point was you're going to put an unknown used barrel on and pay to recut a chamber and headspace or rebore. Why not just go with a new tube? Most barrel makers will stand behind a bad barrel installed by a competent gunsmith, but a used barrel that doesn't shoot you're just SOL.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I had forgotten you can rent those

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U

I guess my point was you're going to put an unknown used barrel on and pay to recut a chamber and headspace or rebore. Why not just go with a new tube? Most barrel makers will stand behind a bad barrel installed by a competent gunsmith, but a used barrel that doesn't shoot you're just SOL.

Sound advice in my opinion. I’ve had Jesse reborn several of my Mausers and a couple of Marlins, he does excellent work with very decent turn around time. It doesn’t make sense to install a used barrel just to have it rebored. Go ahead and get a barrel in the caliber you want and go from there.

Shoot Safe,
Mike
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Lothar Walther makes a great shooting barrel short chambered for whatever cartridge you have in mind at a very reasonable price and has a lot in stock. I’d go that route rather than have a new barrel put on and then rebored.

Just my $.02

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep. I have not shot the one I had put on my mauser last month

Last edited by mjbgalt; 03/03/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’d get the 7x57 good enough . I love that damn round. A deers vitals are fairly big.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UncleGrinch

Sound advice in my opinion. I’ve had Jesse reborn several of my Mausers and a couple of Marlins, he does excellent work with very decent turn around time. It doesn’t make sense to install a used barrel just to have it rebored. Go ahead and get a barrel in the caliber you want and go from there.

Did I mention the barrel is free?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.