Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
[align:right][/align]Hahahaha! It wouldn't be the farmer CashisKing.

It would be some fugging middle man who bought it all...caused a shortage and sold it to you.

I know Jim...

But when another controls your buy... and your sell

Does that not mean that you are enslaved to a master?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'll apologize upfront if I offend anyone, but here goes...........it seems like every day there's a new thread on here about no ammo or reloading supplies, and when they can be found, the prices are out of line. Listen up, but if you're in a position where you were caught empty handed, and have been forced to pay high prices.................it ain't anybodies fault but your own.

If the supply of ammo or reloading supplies were to suddenly disappear, and nothing could ever be had again, I'd be okay for the rest of my life, and I suspect many others on here would be as well. I might not be able to shoot as much as I'd like to, but I have enough stuff that I've acquired over the years, that I will never run out of ammo, powder, bullets, or primers. Now, I might have to use a powder-bullet combination that I wouldn't have normally used, but I could get by. So, why are people in the situation they're in.

I believe in always having an emergency fund, whether it be money, food, fuel, or whatever, and stuff to shoot is an important part of that fund. I've never understood why some folks will spend money like a drunken sailor, then when hard times hit, and they're short on funds, they act as if it's not their fault, and someone is always out to get them. A smart man plans ahead, and always has something for a rainy day, which in this case, it means he doesn't have to pay a dollar a round for 9mm ammo, or $200 for a brick of primers, or $75 for a can of powder.................because he bought such items where they were available at fair prices, instead of blowing his money on chit that's long gone, and only lasted a little while.

As I said, I don't want to offend anyone, as this has nothing to do with who has plenty of money and who doesn't. Instead it has to do with thinking ahead, and planning for hard times, and rest assured, hard times almost always happen at some point in time. Given the current political situation, and the assault on the 2A that's been going on for years, ANYONE who owns guns and uses them, should have been planning for something like we're going through now, and not be caught with their pants down. In short, if you're out of something to shoot, you really have no one to blame but yourself.

Well said. I don't feel like I can shoot like I could till the riots started, but I'm well situated with supplies of ammo of all varieties that I shoot and carry. That was the case long before this shortage started, and as it was getting underway, I stocked up even more, while I could without paying egregious prices. The only exception being that I bought a case of .45 ACP just a bit late, so got hit hard on the price of that one case, but I had a more than sufficient supply of most everything before that, other than .45 ACP (which had been just sufficiently supplied up till then). I just wanted a more than sufficient supply of that too, so I sucked it up and paid the higher price for that one additional case. I imagine I'd be paying much more for it were I shopping for that case today, though.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Ammo is out their to be had at decent prices before it hits the private individual resale priced schit.
You gotta play the availability game at places selling it.

No biggie if ya got the time to go out and play the game.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I haven't bought a primer since I moved back from 5 years in Alberta in 2008.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Ammo is out their to be had at decent prices before it hits the private individual resale priced schit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sooo....a 23 year old fellow with a wife and two kids....vs a 70 year old retiree.

The 23 year old should be stocked for life?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
JamesJr;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one for you folks and all in your world are well.

While I'm not precisely taking issue with what you've said, the problem with shortages and inflationary pricing in any venue is that it'll reduce the number of new entrants into the activity.

Whether there's no Tee Times available at local greens, the deer herd gets decimated by several bad winters in a row or one can't find so much as a box of .22 rimfire - all will have a negative effect on the next shift coming into that activity. As we used to say on the boards of the gun club, the local church and any successful business, if there's not a replacement coming up behind you - you're beginning the process of obsolescence.

Then too, I'll opine that at nearly 60, it's no big deal to spend "X" on something silly "just because", but I vividly recall moving here to BC after losing everything farming, having the clutch go out on our car which absorbed the emergency fund and subsequently our Christmas gifts to each other was that clutch.

Not everyone has the income level to afford to stock up on non-essentials or even essentials for that matter, I've personally been there, done that and didn't have the notepad to write the book on, you know?

Anyways sir, none of that is to say we shouldn't plan for a better day and taking responsibility is never a bad thing in my view. Again though, I've been blessed far beyond anything I could have ever done to deserve it and am thankful for that each waking morning.

All the best to you and yours as we head into longer days and warmer weather sir.

Dwayne

If a guy feels like he has enough ammo for the foreseeable future, he could always support a 4H shooting program or two. Or supply ammo to the grandsons of co-workers who will use it to hunt.

I reasonably believe that I have enough rimfire to last my lifetime, and keep my children and grandchildren shooting for a fair while into the future. I won't sell a single rimfire round. But I won't see local kids who would like to hunt/shoot do without either. 2500+ rounds of .22LR since New Years...
Didn't plan for this
Didn't want this
Just how it is...

And I'm still buying when the price is right... Email notifications from reputable suppliers are the way to go, if you're able to act quickly.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There is a hording mentality that can take over.

I bought and stockpiled by the case because of high volume shooting, and because that's the cheapest way to buy, ordinarily, per round. Just so happens that those who are in that practice are also well situation come times of high prices and shortages. They just have to quit the high volume shooting to get through those times, or switch, for the most part, to black powder, pellet guns, and rimfire (which, regarding pellets and rimfire, one can stockpile in high volume in a relatively small space, so most who stockpile ammo have bunches of it).

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The real question is...

Are current prices actually inflated... or is this just the new base line?

I would argue that building materials will never ever go lower than they currently are. A 2 x 4 is now over $6. I do not believe it will ever go lower than that again.

Same situation with steel and concrete.

We will never ever see $2 gas again. Most likely in 6 months it will be over $5 a gallon. There simply is no way to make the green industry to viable with low cost oil.

Many many people will argue that expensive oil is the fuel necessary for the innovative change to come.

And that expensive lumber will bring about new building construction innovations such as building a house with a 3D printer powered by solar and new age butterfly fart technology.

When capitalist markets are manipulated by the wealthy that control the political system... the rich get richer daily.

... and the poor become enslaved.

We have a systemic problem far beyond the price of ammunition and reloading components.

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/02/21. Reason: Damn phone typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
In 1972 there was a meat shortage, and of freezers, until there wasn't.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Way to many people feel entitled to buy what they want, when they want, at a price they want. The world doesnt work that way.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Chrony capitalism.

Very bad.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JamesJr;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one for you folks and all in your world are well.

While I'm not precisely taking issue with what you've said, the problem with shortages and inflationary pricing in any venue is that it'll reduce the number of new entrants into the activity.

Whether there's no Tee Times available at local greens, the deer herd gets decimated by several bad winters in a row or one can't find so much as a box of .22 rimfire - all will have a negative effect on the next shift coming into that activity. As we used to say on the boards of the gun club, the local church and any successful business, if there's not a replacement coming up behind you - you're beginning the process of obsolescence.

Then too, I'll opine that at nearly 60, it's no big deal to spend "X" on something silly "just because", but I vividly recall moving here to BC after losing everything farming, having the clutch go out on our car which absorbed the emergency fund and subsequently our Christmas gifts to each other was that clutch.

Not everyone has the income level to afford to stock up on non-essentials or even essentials for that matter, I've personally been there, done that and didn't have the notepad to write the book on, you know?

Anyways sir, none of that is to say we shouldn't plan for a better day and taking responsibility is never a bad thing in my view. Again though, I've been blessed far beyond anything I could have ever done to deserve it and am thankful for that each waking morning.

All the best to you and yours as we head into longer days and warmer weather sir.

Dwayne

As always, well thought-out and presented.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CashisKing

When capitalist markets are manipulated by the wealthy that control the political system... the rich get richer daily.

... and the poor become enslaved.

We have a systemic problem far beyond the price of ammunition and reloading components.

Undeniably true.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord

I habitually lie about ammo .
You know that.

Shhhhh.....
Some of these guys dont beleive 9mm can be found from 14.99 to 20.99 in this day and age.

Or 640 rds of 5.56 for 156 bucks
Granted it is steel cased monarch.
540 7.62x39 for 179 IIRC
Steel cased monarch/ Barnaul
👍👍👍👍👍exc accurate AK ammo.
Just rebranded for academy

That was about 3 week ago at academy

They had 200 rd win white box bulky 9mm for 79 bucks IIRC.
That day also

not 2019 prices
But not private resale or full blown retard LGS C19/riot prices either.

Last edited by renegade50; 03/02/21.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
JamesJr;

Dwayne

Even during normal times, if you are short of funds, you actually cannot afford not to buy ammo by the case, which is MUCH cheaper (during ordinary times) than stopping by your LGS for a couple of boxes of ammo on your way to the range.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Sooo....a 23 year old fellow with a wife and two kids....vs a 70 year old retiree.

The 23 year old should be stocked for life?

Of course not.

Neither should he be retired or own his own 40 acre spread with a 4000 square foot house and a six car garage with three Ferraris.

We all find our way in the world the best we can.

The greatest kindness that we can offer to the 23 year-old is a Level Playing Field by which he can find his place.

At 23... I lived on Taco Bell $0.59 bean burritos and ramen noodles for years.

It all comes down to giving the 23 year-old a fair and honest foothold in the world from which he can climb.

Good decisions and bad decisions occur, but in a world of fair opportunity the 23-year old will make it.

In a world of unfair opportunity and manipulated markets, he will not.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My irresponsibility is hitting me so hard right now. I really should have stocked up on ammo for the gun I didn't own until a few days ago..... I keep looking in the mirror and asking myself in great shame...."Why wasn't I responsible enough to stockpile ammo for a round I didn't own a gun for?" .....I can only cry and continue shooting 12's while weeping at my 20-less state...... Whoa is me....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord

The Brady Bunch movie was awesome!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Me too. Paid $50 a box for what I needed.

And thankful to have found it!

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.