Hop To
#158532 04/29/03
W
Westman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have recently had an occasion to briefly look through a bore scope. It is an amazing view inside what we mostly guess about.

Does anyone here have one? They are pricey and I am wondering if they would really have enough value to justify the expense?

Sure wouldn't be any question about whether I really, really got it clean!

Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to have everything and a borescope is one of those things. A friend has one and I am going to get to check it out soon.

I do have a Wally Siebert bore scope. This is a $20 item that checks out the throat. It's invaluable when looking at used guns as it gives a quick check of the throat. It's just a brass tube with a lense in one end. It magnifies the chamber and throat with a spectacular view.

I got it from Sinclair about twenty years ago. They don't have them any more. I "borrowed" mine back from the friend that has the "real" borescope.

The Wally Siebert scope is something that everyone could afford and use. But nobody knows about them. Wally Siebert is/was? a mfg of eyepieces for Fecker and other target scopes. This item only works in bolt or SS rifles. It's the size of a bolt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both an old Zeiss and a new Hawkeye and wouldn't part with either one. There's no substitute for looking right at what you can otherwise observe only indirectly, by secondary indications.

When I got the Hawkeye, a friend brought over about a dozen guns to 'scope with it. One of these -- a Ruger revolver -- had a problem that would never have been detected by any other means, and my friend was able to get it solved. (The rear end of each land was like a cliff, with an abrupt vertical face at the top of each land -- the forcing cone was incompletely ramped.)

If you can manage the cost, get yourself a bore scope. I highly recommend the Hawkeye. And be sure to get also the 90� tip for it, which allows you to look perpendicularly at bore surfaces (BTW, whenever a writer recommends a Hawkeye, don't assume that he got it as a freebie -- he bought it. Gradient -- the importer -- doesn't give 'em to anybody.)

A TIP: In addition to the axial lighting that the Hawkeye normally provides, use also some arrangement that provides good cross-lighting. The Hawkeye's light strikes the viewed surface parallel with the line of sight and reflects directly back into the optical fiber that carries the image back to your eye. A bright light shone down the bore -- parallel to the bore axis, perpendicular to the angle of view through the 90� tip -- shows the surface texture that isn't as clear by the Hawkeye's built-in light.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

W
Westman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thank you guys.

I am in the ponder mode now. These aren't cheap items.....

Appreciate the thoughts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can someone provide figures and sources for the uninformed?

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Ken Howell, buy the Hawkeye. It is quite a tool. I got mine from Brownells. I would rreccomend the longer thinner one and get the adjustable focus eyepeice. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6662

If you can't improve on silence, shut the #@&% up!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an Olympus scope that works very well. You will be amazed how much rifling a neglected rifle can lose to rust and still be told that it probably shot "less that a box of shells". The price of the Hawkeye seems very reasonable.

Growler

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.