Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mackey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I love single shot break open guns and this one certainly intrigues me. Has anyone tried one out?

Mackey.

Mackey
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would much rather they simply d&t the shoguns already in their lineup, even at a slight increase in price. I’m paying to get my .410 drilled. Don’t want that dip camo. For sure I ain’t pulling the trigger on a 3.5” shell in a light, fixed-breech gun.

$687 list is way too high IMO as well. Even if the street price is just under $600, that’s a lot for a break-action.

I’m a fan of the SS Henrys, but this is a no-go for me.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah I just bought one of the Henry Single shot Turkey models and I love it! The feel of these single shot guns is outstanding so I could not wait to get it to the range for some pattern testing...I was not dissapponted as I have nothing bad to report about this shotgun fit/finish is perfect and the rifle sights work great! I tried several turkey loads including some Winchester Longbeard XR 3.5" #5 the 1050 fps loads with 2 1/8 oz of shot, I wish I knew how to post pictures, I would post a pic of My 55yd target, a gobbler will not have a chance with that load in this gun out to at least 60yds.. I have several turkey shotguns including Benelli M2's, a Franchi Affinity 3.5, Retay Gordion Turkey and a Browning A5 3.5" and none of them will shoot with this Henry...Yes the Henry is pricey (mine was $539 from Whitaker Guns) but the quality is there and IMO worth it....I also have a Henry 12ga single H015 that I love to squirrel hunt with. These single shot shotguns take me back to My early teens when I had many great adventures with My trusty Winchester Single shot 12ga model 37A..I killed a pile of squirrels and turkeys with that old shotgun and as much as I loved that old 37A I think the new Henry's are the highest quality single shot shotguns that have ever been made, I can see another one in My future if Henry will make a turkey model without the camo dip, I would love to have one of these with some nice wood/blue like My H015 👍......Good hunting...Hb

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The list price scares me. There are a lot of good shotguns in that price range.

I would hesitate on it assuming the single shot trigger will be very heavy.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, $539 ain’t so bad. I would still prefer blued/walnut, but I’m a fussy old fart with fussy old fart notions. Glad you like it.

I’m hoping my .410 makes it out of the shop in time to get in the woods. Dandy little spud. Have a bunch of “specialty” loads I want to try, along with a small pile of TSS.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
According to My guage the trigger on this shotgun is 3.25 lb with just a fuzz of creep, it has the best trigger of any of my shotguns besides My other H015 that I sent back to Henry for the trigger recall, that trigger breaks at 3.5 lbs with no creep....I agree Pappy, I would also prefer this gun in some nice wood/blue (I put that request in Henrys suggestion box) ...Sounds like your gonna have some fun with your .410, keep us posted on how things go 👍......Good hunting ..Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You too.

What fresh Hell is this?
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
6.8# 3.5" 12GA? Not hardly, but I'd pay a dollar to watch someone else shoot it.

Get your hands on a Yildiz .410 single. 3.3# and good to 50 yards after SumToy chokes it and puts a red dot mount on. Only single barrel worth fooling with. Kicks like a 30/06, not a howitzer.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah the 3.5" shells in a single shot shotgun sure aren't for a recoil wuss but you can always opt for 3" or even 2 3/4" shells, thats the beauty of a 12ga. and if your worried about killing a turkey at extreme long range buy some $10 a pop TSS ammo 😁......Hb

M
Mackey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
VaHillbilly, I bought one today from Whittaker Country for $539.00. Thanks for the lead on that! Now just have to wait for it to arrive at my FFL dealer. I hope I can find some TSS shells to shoot!

Mackey

Mackey
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Mackey
VaHillbilly, I bought one today from Whittaker Country for $539.00. Thanks for the lead on that! Now just have to wait for it to arrive at my FFL dealer. I hope I can find some TSS shells to shoot!

Mackey

Wow! I bet yours will be as good a gun as mine is, You will love it....Keep us posted with a range report 👍👍....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mackey

Knock yourself out, literally perhaps!

https://apexmunition.com/product/pt-3-5-12-gauge-3-5-2-5-oz-5-shells/

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This shotgun piqued my interest as well.

I agree, I don't want the dipped camo.

What make/model turkey choke is in it? Is it proprietary?

All that being said, a Henry is in my future; either another turkey gun or a blued/walnut squirrel/turkey gun. Like others, the single-shot takes me back to happier times.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dunno about this one, but the chokes for my .410, including the special Turkey one, are made by Briley.

Speaking of which, the one I ordered for my CZ O/U arrived today.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Its not a henry, but...

A friend of mine inherited his dads collection and I asked him if he had any single shots....
Sounds like 2 - 20 gauges and a 410.
I'm going to assume they are older better guns and I may buy all of them.

You really dont see single shot shotguns anymore. I suspect H&R / New England is out of business and the gun buying panic cleaned out everything.

Oh.. I looked at a savage 301 in a store. I'll pass.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
M
Mackey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Well I got my Henry turkey gun today and I must say I’m impressed with it. The dipped camo is ok, trigger is ok, the weight and balance is good, the sights are good. BUT, YOU GUYS HAVE ME SCARED TO SHOOT IT! I think I’ll start with some old 1oz dove loads and work my way up from there. Maybe even tie it to my lead sled and pull the trigger with a string!

VaHillbilly, thanks for turning me on to Whitaker Guns. You saved me some money!

Gobbler pics coming soon I hope!

Thanks for all the comments.

Mackey

Mackey
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Mackey, Dont listen to the recoil wussy's, according to some any gun that kicks more than a .22lr is unbearable and will almost certainly knock you unconcious and dislocate your shoulder 😁😁.....I shot mine several times with 3.5" shells and didnt even have to go to the ER one time....I am curious about the trigger on your gun, mine breaks @3.25lb with a little bit of creep, is yours similar?.....Hb

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I joined the Henry turkey gun club last week. It shoots 3" Long Beard #5's very well. The trigger is better than I expected, it seems like a well made shotgun. Very pleased so far.

Last edited by 8Point; 04/10/21.
M
Mackey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I killed a gobbler with my new Henry yesterday. It worked just fine with 3 1/2” tss 8’s.
Mackey

Mackey
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I killed a gobbler with my new Henry yesterday. It worked just fine with 3 1/2” tss 8’s.
Mackey

I can well imagine! Probably just sent him into the next dimension, like he was never there. Throw a cylinder tube in there and hello crowd control!

Congrats.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
356 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.