FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad used to bring me down cherry wood from the east side of the flathead every year when they pruned the cherry trees. That chit was awesome.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes, but so is any other ceramic option. Don’t rule out Primo, Grill Dome or Komodo Joe. Do you research and get what you feel is the best long term purchase.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've had two. Still have the XL. Once the novelty of them wore off I came to the conclusion they are a Jack of all trades, master of none type of cooker. Too efficient and don't get enough air flow to run a clean fire. Hence why Sam noted too smoky of a taste in his chicken. This past year I smoked entirely on a Yoder pellet grill, and had a break down. Ended up with some chicken on the BGE, and exact same thing. Didn't render skin worth a crap, and too much smoke. They can make an OK charcoal grill for direct heat high temp cooks. But for that purpose you can also buy a much cheaper Weber kettle and get better air flow.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whisky, it just dawned on me that I may have been trying to cook too low and slow with this chicken.

Need to cook it at the same temps/times that I got figured out for the gas grill.

Trying to get too fancy.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Low and slow isn’t right. You want fast and medium high heat to keep it moist

Duck911 will get a boner reading this

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cold cocked my own cock.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Exploring all options for a grill. Always wanted a Big Green Egg, but just don’t know if I’ll use it enough to justify the expense.
I enjoy grilling but it’s often after work and don’t want to wait hours for my meal. How long before the BGE is ready to rock and roll from a cold start?

I've used a BGE but I like the Kamado Joe better. The Kamado Joe has a built in ash tray at the bottom and comes with split level rack and costs about half what a BGE does.

I'm told the original BGE maker sold the company and Kamado Joe is his second company and the Kamado Joe cooker incorporates his refinements to the original egg.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Whisky, it just dawned on me that I may have been trying to cook too low and slow with this chicken.

Need to cook it at the same temps/times that I got figured out for the gas grill.

Trying to get too fancy.

Yup. Poultry is best cooked high heat. Even in doing that on the BGE, indirect with the plate setter, it still won't render skin as well as a gas or good pellet grill. I've tried a few different methods. Direct grilling is your best bet. Of course you can't exactly do that with a whole bird. I'll set it up to run half the grill direct and other half indirect. Two zone cooking. Start out on the indirect heat side and as you get closer to finish temp, move meat over the coals for some real grilling.

As far as lower temp smoking, I no longer like them for that at all. It's funny, when I first got my pellet grill I thought the smoke flavor was too weak. I was used to the ashtray flavor of the BGE. After a good amount of use I now feel the opposite. Tastes change I guess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Don't forget about the prime rib either
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Got any pics of the inside?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The Kamado Joe updated their hinge system and a few other things a couple years ago, and they would be better than a BGE if nothing else considered. For me there were no KJ dealers nearby. Secondly, there are many great aftermarket parts for the BGEs from Ceramic Grill Store .com. Those two factors swayed me green again. If I had a do-over I would seriously consider the Primo Oval XL. Most people much prefer the oval shape it appears.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My pops bought the $500 vision cooker from Sams club.

It’ll cook a mean steak.

He’ll buy the b&b brand lump from Academy.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Don't forget about the prime rib either

Got any pics of the inside?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Exploring all options for a grill. Always wanted a Big Green Egg, but just don’t know if I’ll use it enough to justify the expense.
I enjoy grilling but it’s often after work and don’t want to wait hours for my meal. How long before the BGE is ready to rock and roll from a cold start?

Definitely worth it.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 36 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,390
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.