Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Just got my M12 Impact back from H&M after having the barreled action, bolt, lug, and action screws black nitrided. The metal finish looks outstanding; has changed the flat Teflon to a much darker, deeper black. The action is so slick now it almost doesn't seem real. If the weather durability is even half of what was advertised from true nitriding (actually changing surface composition not just coating) this was worth far more than it cost to have done. I had actually planned to sell the rifle when it got back as part of an ammo consolidation... but I can't bring myself to do it now.

If you're thinking about using H&M I can't recommend them highly enough for both finished product and customer service along the way.

BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pics!

Pics!

Pics!

grin

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'm curious for pics as well.

Did you have to disassemble it completely before you sent it, or did they take care of that?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
How much did it run you?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sounds interesting. Their velocity claims seem a stretch though.

"It increases the velocity of your barrel by a few hundred feet-per-second..."

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Will work on pics. I (intentionally) have the oldest phone possible, so the camera is not so great. I went into it assuming velocity wouldn't change. So if it does, that's nice, but a total bonus. The charge for one rifle is $150. You ship it to them (I did USPS for like $13... it had no firing pin so my understanding is that it was fine) and just put return postage in the box. You do have to strip the bolt, which requires a punch, but if I can do it, anyone can. Very simple, just don't let the plunger springs fly across the room. They don't need to separate barrel from receiver, so the press fit arrangement doesn't matter.

If you plan to do it, the bolt knob and bottom metal are aluminum and can't go. But the trigger screw is steel so I did that along with the action screws. I'm hoping the added hardness will give the heads longer life, though truth be told I'm planning to loctite them back and leave it alone. The bolt knob is threaded/screwed on, but it's also threadlocked, so be careful getting it off or you'll mark it like I did. Gonna paint it olive green to cover the marks and add a little flare.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by EdM

Most sources indicate that the nitride makes it way easier to clean and extends barrel life significantly because it can't wear off. Ever. For a rifle that can't be rebarreled that seemed like another major bonus.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by EdM

Most sources indicate that the nitride makes it way easier to clean and extends barrel life significantly because it can't wear off. Ever. For a rifle that can't be rebarreled that seemed like another major bonus.

I was writing to the increased velocity claims.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that's a pretty broad claim. Guessing they know more about coatings than ballistics.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While waiting for clockwork _7mm’s pics, these show my experience with H&M Black Nitride:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just received these parts for 2 different builds from them 3 weeks ago. They always come back wrapped up very well and in excellent condition.

Here are a couple of pics of some of the parts assembled for the first build

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'm about to send them a 98 Mauser.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
No one is offering prices?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by EdM

With your money, does it really matter?

LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed - a bolt action rifle is $150. (I'd mentioned this above.) That includes doing the barreled action, the bolt body, any screws that are steel, and any bottom metal that is steel.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks for posting this I’m thinking pretty seriously that I’m gonna have to use them on my next build it looks great and for the money (heck for twice the money) well worth it.

How’s their communication? Do they acknowledge receipt of the firearm and give you a timeframe for turn around?

I sent a barreled action to Birdsong for Black T and they were terrible... didn’t tell me that they’d gotten the barreled action and gave no indication as to when I should expect the work completed.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Different companies, however, I have gotten some similarly treated AR parts lately, and damn, it looks good. Black is beautiful. $150 seems like a hellaofa bargain.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Can they nitride stainless?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Can they nitride stainless?

Yes.

A anTi action I have was nitride coated and looks great. I requested it when I ordered the action from Defiance. I wish I had waited and had the entire barreled action done after the barrel was installed. I need to call them and see if they will do the barrel while it's on the barreled action or what options are for that.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by efw
Thanks for posting this I’m thinking pretty seriously that I’m gonna have to use them on my next build it looks great and for the money (heck for twice the money) well worth it.

How’s their communication? Do they acknowledge receipt of the firearm and give you a timeframe for turn around?

I sent a barreled action to Birdsong for Black T and they were terrible... didn’t tell me that they’d gotten the barreled action and gave no indication as to when I should expect the work completed.

They did for me. Actually, the poor intake guy must've answered 10 emails with different questions for me and was always very friendly and prompt. Turnaround time on the actual service was 10-11 days for me... then it took USPS almost that long to mail it back from Ohio to VA 😵.

When you include return postage, you can include a tracking # with it, so you don't have to worry about them getting you one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
771 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 86 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,704
Posts18,400,064
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.