24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barnes has changed the location of the grooves in some of their bullets over the years. Maybe this lot of 127's just has a different groove number/placement.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Barnes has changed the location of the grooves in some of their bullets over the years. Maybe this lot of 127's just has a different groove number/placement.

Thanks Jordan.

Why are they all over the place? See, e.g.: https://www.barnesbullets.com/bullets/lrx/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have to account for bearing surface area, bullet balance, fouling, pressure, etc, and I think for a while there it took a little trial and error to figure out the optimal combination. Different bullet weights, ogives, etc, have different groove requirements, which is why each individual model has unique groove geometry/location.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Pull one and weigh it. If you find it is not 127 gr, I’ll pull a couple of my loads to compare. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WAM
Pull one and weigh it. If you find it is not 127 gr, I’ll pull a couple of my loads to compare. Happy Trails

Will do tomorrow.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
My Hornady scale says it weighs 127.4gr.

It has two grooves, like the one in the Barnes pic, but further forward. I assume it is a different variant of an LRX. I wonder if it’s a newer or older model.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by WAM

Will do tomorrow.

The ones in my box of 127 gr LRX are like the one in your catalog illustration, not like the one you pulled (visual scaling). Also, the ones in my 3 boxes of Weatherby factory loads have no visible cannelure or groove exposed. If the ones I have are loaded to the same oal, the first groove will be well below the case mouth. Manufacturers often place cannelures where the ammo oem wants them. Who knows? Maybe a batch of early LRX?
Happy Trails

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WAM
The ones in my box of 127 gr LRX are like the one in your catalog illustration, not like the one you pulled (visual scaling). Also, the ones in my 3 boxes of Weatherby factory loads have no visible cannelure or groove exposed. If the ones I have are loaded to the same oal, the first groove will be well below the case mouth. Manufacturers often place cannelures where the ammo oem wants them.

Thanks for going to the trouble.

Originally Posted by WAM
Maybe a batch of early LRX?

That's what I assume.

I didn't get the chance to shoot the HS ammo yesterday due to a few extra work demands, but I'm going to try to go this afternoon.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Got back from the range a while ago.

I had an hour-long conversation with a nice farmer who was sighting in his BAR in 7mm RM for elk hunting in Colorado. We’re actually talking about possible merging our hunts, depending on that we draw.

I think I’ve settled in on the Wby-loaded 140gr ABs for now. They are shooting the most consistently-small groups right now. I moved the barrel closer to the chrono, and I got the Labradar to read them. They have a nice tight average of 3,308 fps.

This was my last group after adjusting my scope for it at 1” high at 100 yds:

The 127s shoot some small groups, but then I get an occasional erratic one. The ABs always seem to shoot well.

The Hendershot’s-loaded 127gr LRXs shot pretty well, but they chronoed at 3,281 fps, way under what they were claiming and less than I can get out of the 140grs loaded by Wby.

This is what the 140gr ABs should be doing downrange at 10,000 ft:

WAM, I finally sorted by 7mm Wby brass and can send it out shortly. I have 213 rounds of it. I will box them up and send to you shortly.

Beretzs, I have 140 6.5-300 empties I’m holding for you and your brother whenever you want to pick them up.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I had an hour-long conversation with a nice farmer who was sighting in his BAR in 7mm RM for elk hunting in Colorado. We’re actually talking about possible merging our hunts, depending on that we draw.

I think I’ve settled in on the Wby-loaded 140gr ABs for now. They are shooting the most consistently-small groups right now. I moved the barrel closer to the chrono, and I got the Labradar to read them. They have a nice tight average of 3,308 fps.

The 127s shoot some small groups, but then I get an occasional erratic one. The ABs always seem to shoot well.

The Hendershot’s-loaded 127gr LRXs shot pretty well, but they chronoed at 3,281 fps, way under what they were claiming and less than I can get out of the 140grs loaded by Wby.

WAM, I finally sorted by 7mm Wby brass and can send it out shortly. I have 213 rounds of it. I will box them up and send to you shortly.

Beretzs, I have 140 6.5-300 empties I’m holding for you and your brother whenever you want to pick them up.

Holy smokes, first off the 140’s are shooting pretty darned amazing.

And yes sir, soon as I get up your way I’ll grab them from you. Weather jacked my trip up last week and I’m headed out for work for a few weeks. That’s a danged pile of brass!

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just need to get some more, and they're hard to find. No problem as to the empties. I have enough space to store them until you need them.

Good evening.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

Holy smokes, first off the 140’s are shooting pretty darned amazing.

And yes sir, soon as I get up your way I’ll grab them from you. Weather jacked my trip up last week and I’m headed out for work for a few weeks. That’s a danged pile of brass!

1\2 his barrel life is gone Scotty!!😂😂

Very nice of you MH. Ill have to try the accubonds in mine.👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Judman

1\2 his barrel life is gone Scotty!!😂😂

Very nice of you MH. Ill have to try the accubonds in mine.👍

I'd be interested in whether the ABs work in your rifle, Judman. Good luck.

Mercifully, they have been spread out between two rifles. I don't think I've shot more than 80 or so out of either. I'll check out their groupings occasionally and not much more. I'll probably take my MkV 6.5-300 out to my property in Colo. this spring and try it out at ranges up to around 600 yds. I have four MkVs and three VGs to play/practice with.

Does it make sense that a 1:8" twist rifle would, at least slightly, prefer heavier bullets? It seems that way to me, but I'm new to the 6.5mm thing.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d think the 127 LRX and 140 AB are pretty close in length so the preference of the 140 to the 127 is probably more the load itself suiting your rifle than the bullet.

Even if you only got 500-600 rounds of barrel life and I’m betting you’ll get more you’ve got lots of killin left in them. A few rounds every year to check zeros and make sure you’re still on point will take a long time to make them smoothbores I bet grin

Weatherby rebarrels for a decent cost, shoot em up!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’d think the 127 LRX and 140 AB are pretty close in length so the preference of the 140 to the 127 is probably more the load itself suiting your rifle than the bullet.

Even if you only got 500-600 rounds of barrel life and I’m betting you’ll get more you’ve got lots of killin left in them. A few rounds every year to check zeros and make sure you’re still on point will take a long time to make them smoothbores I bet grin

Weatherby rebarrels for a decent cost, shoot em up!

Thanks for the comments, Beretzs. I doubt I will shoot any of my barrels out in my lifetime. I have a finicky .243 cheap WM VG my older son used to use on deer, but he graduated to the 7mm. So, I may restock that one and practice with it. The main thing I really want to practice on is some longer-range shooting. When I can get some more loaded 140gr ABs, I also will try them through the Accuguard. If that works out, I will have a backup rifle with a similar stock, the same scope, the same barrel, and the same POI. Eventually, that likely will go to my younger son if and when he gets bored with the compact .243.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

[/quote]
Man if that smile don't get nothing will.
I love to be in the woods or creeks with
My kids and grandkids!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome pictures of your boys.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. The older one got his first deer a year earlier. Pistol is because there are bears and lions in those parts. He’s over 6 ft tall now. He's wearing his "Deuce Gear."

They don’t mind getting bloody. Sometimes, I like to “supervise” with a nice post-hunt refreshment.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks, Marine Hawk! I will send you a check for the shipping. Let me know how much it is. Thanks again. S

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WAM
Thanks, Marine Hawk! I will send you a check for the shipping. Let me know how much it is. Thanks again. S

No problem WAM. I just shipped it via UPS. I will PM you the tracking #. It allegedly will arrive on Tuesday. The shipping wasn't enough to worry about. Enjoy.

The UPS lady looked kind of like a Commie. So, I just said that it was "brass items."

Separately, five boxes of the 140gr AB loads popped on GB today, and I ordered them. So, I should be set for ammo for a while.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.