How to use a belt to hold your pants up

Hunt...
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dess
Cursive, penmanship, addressing an envelope, can opener, any board (nonelectric) game.

When I was in Basic Training, I quickly got the nickname of the Professor, Since i was a college Grad...

The black guys use to write their mother 3 times a day it seemed, and almost all of those letters seemed to come right back to the base post office as undeliverable...

The drill sgt pulled me out of formation, and told me that I was to take most of our black guys in our platoon, into a training room
and teach them to address an envelope....this was per express orders from the Battery Captain, who was black...suggested by Senior Drill, who was black...

even they were shocked that so many of the black guys couldn't address an envelope...

later I had a second class, I was ordered to do... this time it was a couple of white guys from Georgia from our platoon, along with a batch of others from other platoons..

out of 200 guys in our Company/Battery ( Ft Sill, artillery base, hence Battery), the average educational level of our unit, was 10.5 years of school...more than 50% of the guys never graduated high school... also something like 40% of the guys in the unit, were given a choice by a judge, to either enlist or they'd be looking at 2 years in jail....

I thought I had a pretty good handle of what stupid was.... but basic training showed me new dimensions I never thought existed in this country...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Okay, for the guys who do not like the example of Ohm's Law. Most of you do know it, but just do not realize you know it.

Current (amps) equals volts divided by resistance.

If you plug your 120 V toaster into a 240 V circuit. The current flow will double and burn out the toaster.

If you plug your 120 V toaster into a 12 V outlet, It will not push enough amps through the circuit to warm your bagel.

So, really, how many here did not know that?

I was smart enough to see that those 120v/240v/12v receptacles and plugs can't/don't go together.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had trigonometry in high school and college back in the middle/late 60’s - I still dig out my Machinist’s Handbook every once in a while to calculate an angle or something.

I like seeing youngsters at the checkout counter - I’ll buy something for $8.17 for example, hand them a $20, and wait until they ring it up. Then I’ll hand them a quarter and say take the change out of this”.

They’ll stare clueless at the quarter and have no clue what to do. Then I’ll tell them how much they owe me back. They’ll do it but they’re not really sure about it.

I think the only way they can do any kind of math is with a calculator.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dexter Manley formerly of the Washington Redskins graduated from High School and played football at Oklahoma State before his pro career. He admitted later that he was illiterate.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by steve4102
The three branches of Government

Most of them can’t name the first President of the USA. Or know who won the Revolutionary War.

They know how to play video games, send a text message, and order a pizza.

You want to really Fugg with them ? Give them a rotary phone and ask them to place a phone call. 😜

I've seen that video on Youtube... that is hilarious....

yet take my son.. he had a 4.0 GPA from like the 4th grade until he graduated High School, plus he had credit for a bunch of college level courses along with that..

then here's the same kid, he's given a low mileage Scion my folks had , who in 5 years put 20,000 miles on it..

so I tell him he needs to go down to Walmart, and pick up oil for it.. I show him an empty jug of the Mobil One I wanted him to pick up.. I told him his car takes 4 quarts, but to pick up a 5 quart jug vs the individual quarts...

he get home and is madder than a wet hen...complaining profusely on how expensive it was...we got out to his car and he pulls out 5 of the 5 qt jugs...complaining, "This was $120.00.. just for a damn oil change...

I asked him why did he pick up 5 jugs... he tells me because I told him to.... No son, I told you to pick up a 5 qt jug.....with his response... that is why there is 5 of them!

Son, one jug holds 5 quarts? "Well dad how do you know that?".... because it says so right on the jug....

Son, HOw many quarts are in a Gallon? Son's Response... "How in the hell would I know that??"

He works at the local Hospital, and makes $50K a year.. yet at 26 years old, he still doesn't know simple measurement of fluids and capacities... can't tell ya how many pints or quarts are in a gallon... how many pints make up a quart....

Well at least he knows how to make change....I've seen kids who are surprising intelligent, yet don't know how many quarters or nickels or dimes that make up a dollar...
or even how to tie their shoes... they use slip on shoes or velcro grandpa shoes their entire life... and don't know how to make change, because they use a credit card for every thing they purchase...How in the hell do 14 year olds have credit cards???

oh and my son did take the other 4 jugs of motor oil back to Wally World for a refund...

kids of today, don't know the basics that we were taught by the third grade.... that is why they live in a "Everyone gets a trophy" world....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some things just aren't taught. I took calculus in high school and 3 more semesters in college. At the end, I didn't have a clue as to what it was used for. It was all theory with absolutely zero application. It was years later when I found out what it was used for.

Math was theoretical and a mystery to me until HS Physics. Then it all made sense and I ended up learning well more math than I ever needed in college and enjoyed it. It is a use or lose skill. I had to review a paper for an employee last year with some pretty in-depth crypto-math and had to refresh my own skills to be able to make sense of it.

Last edited by Pugs; 03/03/21. Reason: can do math, can't type

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Like you must be able to use "like" in a sentence at least 3 times - like this.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My five year old grandson can name every major bone in the human body. My three year old granddaughter is not far behind.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pugs

Math was theoretical and a mystery to me until HS Physics. Then it all made sense and I ended up learning well more math than I ever needed in college and enjoyed it. It is a use or lose skill. I had to review a paper for an employee last year with some pretty in-depth crypto-math and had to refresh my own skills to be able to make sense of it.

Try helping a thirteen year old granddaughter with her math homework but you have to use common core... 🤯

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by Pugs

Try helping a thirteen year old granddaughter with her math homework but you have to use common core... 🤯

How 'bout that lattice method. I was helping out my 17 year old daughter with physics last week, and I had to
look twice at more than one problem. She's struggling with it, but I'm glad she's taking it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I will start.

How to count change?

Ohm's law?

How does a parent let their kid turn 18 without have teaching them basic life skills like counting change? Letting schools do all the teaching is part of the problem we have these days. Heck I took higher math in high school as well as business math and financial management in college , earn a duel degree in business and marketing with a minor in accounting and never had a single class in counting change.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's called government mandates along with teachers that are basically challenged. Mandated testing leads to teaching the test to the exclusion of all else. "No child left behind" was a huge incentive to cheat and cook the books. Any time government gets involved in anything it gets destroyed with constant manipulation.
If government was interested in teaching our children they wouldn't be so afraid of Charter Schools. It's not about teaching. It's about control. It's about tax money. It's about unions.

Want to get your numbers up just graduate everyone. It's more about social promotion than anything.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Walked into the parts department office one afternoon after eating lunch until time to start work again. Three other coworkers at their desks trying to figure out how many feet were in a mile and how many acres in a mile. One guy was about 35 years old with a degree in business and marketing from major university, another was in his middle 20s and in his second year at a local community college, the third guy also about 35 and graduated from high school, and I was the oldest at almost 60 at the time with just high school a high school diploma, too. After a few minutes of watching them throw out all sorts of figures and formulas, I piped in with, "there's 5,280 feet and 640 acres in a linear mile" They all three stopped and stared at me then asked how I knew that... I responded with, "we had to memorize weights and measures in elementary school back in the '50s"...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by joken2

Walked into the parts department office one afternoon after eating lunch until time to start work again. Three other coworkers at their desks trying to figure out how many feet were in a mile and how many acres in a mile. One guy was about 35 years old with a degree in business and marketing from major university, another was in his middle 20s and in his second year at a local community college, the third guy also about 35 and graduated from high school, and I was the oldest at almost 60 at the time with just high school a high school diploma, too. After a few minutes of watching them throw out all sorts of figures and formulas, I piped in with, "there's 5,280 feet and 640 acres in a linear mile" They all three stopped and stared at me then asked how I knew that... I responded with, "we had to memorize weights and measures in elementary school back in the '50s"...

l

And that episode perfectly illustrates why so many jobs today are listed as requiring a college degree when the requirement 40-50 years ago was (and should still be today) a high school diploma. In fact, someone who went to school in the U.S. in the 50s and 60s was much better prepared to function in the real world than many of today's college graduates, as your story shows. I'm thankful I went to school in a small town that had agriculture, shop, and home economics classes.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
640 acres in a linear mile

640 Acres in a SQUARE mile.

A "linear mile" doesn't give enough information to calculate acres or any other measurement applied to area rather than distance.

Last edited by horse1; 03/03/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

l

And that episode perfectly illustrates why so many jobs today are listed as requiring a college degree when the requirement 40-50 years ago was (and should still be today) a high school diploma. In fact, someone who went to school in the U.S. in the 50s and 60s was much better prepared to function in the real world than many of today's college graduates, as your story shows. I'm thankful I went to school in a small town that had agriculture, shop, and home economics classes.

All three are very intelligent and experienced guys. The university graduate grew up working on their family farm, the second guy attending community college had served two hitches in US Army Armor and left with the rank E-6, the third was a whiz on computers and hard-wired multi-line phone circuitry and the companies best trouble shooter on both. Two of the three attended small town public schools, the university grad I can't recall now if he went to public or Catholic schools but either would have been small schools. My younger sister attended the same school as the computer whiz and was one year ahead of him. They were taught to spell phonetically and she still can't spell very well and neither could he.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by horse1
640 acres in a linear mile

640 Acres in a SQUARE mile.

A "linear mile" doesn't give enough information to calculate acres or any other measurement applied to area rather than distance.

Good point.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

l

All three are very intelligent and experienced guys. The university graduate grew up working on their family farm, the second guy attending community college had served two hitches in US Army Armor and left with the rank E-6, the third was a whiz on computers and hard-wired multi-line phone circuitry and the companies best trouble shooter on both. Two of the three attended small town public schools, the university grad I can't recall now if he went to public or Catholic schools but either would have been small schools. My younger sister attended the same school as the computer whiz and was one year ahead of him. They were taught to spell phonetically and she still can't spell very well and neither could he.

So despite not knowing things like how many square inches in a hectare, proper use of obsolete hand tools and operation of archaic technology, they have managed to acquire the skills most useful to the world they currently live in and thus make a good life for themselves....weird!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Many teens come to class trashed after late night partying and sleep in class, those not asleep are texting/playing games on their cell phones. My HS teacher wife fought these battles on a daily basis. Some teens lack motivation to learn therefor due to social promotion graduate HS functionally illiterate. I witnessed the result of this when I returned to college in the mid 70's, I was amazed at how dumbed down the classes had become. Just a moderate effort and you were able to easily ace most courses, far different from when I was in college in the mid 60's.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/03/21.
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
207 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.