Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
My very small local gun shop got in a large shipment of powders today and it was going FAST!
I am pretty well set for all the Rifles I load for except a new to me 17 Hornet.
So I picked up a pound of the CFE-BLK this morning ($31.00 and no sales tax in Montana) as the label said it was "ideal for 17 Hornet".
I would appreciate any direction or suggestions as I start up reloading/testing my Ruger 77/17 Hornet.
Thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've used CFE BLK and 20gr V-Max bullets in my CZ with great success! Charge weights very close to max, or at max seem to work the best. You can get the data from the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
MT DD FAN: Thanks for that link - the 2,016 Hodgdon Loading Magazine Guide at the LGS had no data for the CFE-BLK in the 17 Hornet.
I better be careful the starting load Hodgdon suggested was 11.8 grains with 20 grain bullet and the maximum load suggested was 12.8 grains and the velocity and pressure went up VERY quickly!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Had to go back to the LGS twice more for powder for my friends as "word got out" - at least half of his new 60+ pounds of powder he had this morning was gone on my last trip.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have the 2021 Hodgdon Annual Manual and CFE BLK is not listed as a powder for the 20 grain 17 Hornet load. It is for the 25 grain. This is good info and I'm going to use it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have the 2021 Hodgdon Annual Manual and CFE BLK is not listed as a powder for the 20 grain 17 Hornet load. It is for the 25 grain. This is good info and I'm going to use it.

It is listed on the site listed by MT DD Fan.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's where I found it after being alerted by MT DD Fan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AA 1680 here

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Fotis: I have some left-over AA 1680 and if the CFE-BLK does not measure up I will give that a try.
Any other load particulars will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
VarmintGuy, Lil'Gun also gives really good velocity with 20 grain V-MAX bullets.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
OSU Sig: I use Lil'Gun in my cantankerous Ruger #1-B in 22 Hornet. Only powder to attain "good" (fair) accuracy in that Rifle/caliber combination.
Thank you I'll put that on my list for load development.
By coincidence my local gun shop got in an 8 pound keg of Lil'Gun two days ago - it is priced at $231.00 (no sales tax in Montana).
The LGS put out maybe 120 cans of powder two days ago and folks were walking out with armloads of cans of powder - I bought 4 cans myself.
But I doubt I could use that much (the 8 pounder of Lil'Gun) up, in the time I have left.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like blk in the 17 hornet. I hate lilgun in it. It’s WAY too pressure sensitive at near maximum. Stay away from it.

Blk behaved much better and pretty much replicates the Hornady factory 20 gr vmax load and yes I’m running at the maximum listed charge. Great accuracy! The other nice thing is we can get 500+ rounds out of 1# of powder!

Last edited by Ben_Lurkin; 03/05/21.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for the heads up on Lil'Gun. Now that I have the data on BLK, I'll give it a go.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ben Lurkin: Thank you very much for that insight.
I think I will start my load development with just 20 fired formed brass (from the factory ammo I bought and shot) and in a couple of different charge weights.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm finding out that if I use 17 Hornet load data in my 17 Fireball, the velocity and performance is pretty much the same...

That may not be an info that will benefit anyone, but if you are going with a 17 and its small volume as a way to reduce cost of volume small predator shooting
it may be useful to some shooters...

I've been trying small pistol primers in load in the Fireball, utilizing Hornet load data....

also useful info if you run out of small rifle primers, but have plenty of small pistol primers...

YMMV... but just passing it on, for anyone who may be interested...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had not considered that John, thanks for the reveal. Are you running 25 gr. bullets in your Fireball? And, if you back the data down to Hornet levels, does it turn the Fireball into a Furball? Asking for a friend...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Interesting take seafire. I was one of the early adopters of the 17 Fireball when it first came out. I had a 700 BDL and - it was garbage! I swear Remington must have run out of reamers so they chucked up a 3/8” drill bit in a hand drill and chambered mine. The chamber was oversized and it would not shoot. I had the barrel set back and rechambered in hopes that would clean it up. I never did get it to shoot right and had the barrel pulled off and installed a new one in 204 Ruger.

I have always likes the idea of the 17 fireball and the itch finally got scratched as I sent off a model 7 action I’ve had sitting around, along with a Douglas sporter barrel to get one built. I’m hoping to get it back by April and take it on a few road trips this summer. I did notice blk is listed for the fireball using 20gr bullets. I’ll have to give that a go as soon as it is finished.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ben Lurkin: To bad about your original Remington in 17 Remington Fireball that was a "downer".
I was a 17 Remington Fireball fan way before there was a 17 Remington Fireball as I had a custom heavy Varmint Rifle made by a top bench rest Riflesmith back in 1995 in caliber 17 Mach IV (the 17 Remington Fireball's twin).
This custom Rifle shot extremely well from day one.
THEN.... when Remington came out with the 17 Remington Fireball in 2,007 I could not wait to get one and some factory 17 Remington Fireball ammunition.
I bought the Remington 700 VSF and mounted a 6.5x20 power Nikon Monarch scope on it.
The only option for ammo/brass back then was the Remington factory ammo with the 20 grain Accu-Tip bullets.
My first trip to the range with this combo for sight-in and barrel breakin produced three groups (5 shots at 100 yards) that measured .533", .586" and .579".
Eventually when I had run through enough factory ammo I began load development with that now fire-formed factory brass and those handloads shot even better.
I settled on the 25 grain Berger bullets in my Fireball.
I am NOT trying to defend Remington because they have committed suicide and are dead but the 17 Fireball Remington Rifles I have first hand observations of all shot well.
Again sorry you got the blooper.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Varmintguy,

I’m glad you got a good one! I’ve lost count of the number of Remingtons I’ve had. Some have shot really well, some have been more ho-hum in the case of some of my hunting rifles. The 17 Fireball was the worst. At the end if the day it was determined the chamber wasn’t in line with the bore so the new reamer just followed the old chambering. Such is life and it turned out well regardless. That 204 i had built off of it is an incredible shooter with it’s Shilen barrel! It’s really a shame these companies, not just Remington, can’t seem to get their acts together. The last 30 years seem to have been a race to the bottom of manufacturing costs and quality be damned. There’s certainly exceptions. My Cooper rifles have all been excellent. But it’s such a shame to see Remington where they are today.

I’ve been around the mach iv as a few of my buddies have had em. I just never got around to building one as funds and other guns took priority. Fortunately I still have brass and dies from my last attempt with the 17 fireball so it won’t take much effort to get it running when it’s finished. What are you using load-wise in yours?

Yours in Liberty,

BL
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ben Lurkin: Great to know that 204 Ruger project worked out so well for you.
In the past I have always had good results from Shilen barrels.
And in my experience the 204 Ruger is just an inherently accurate round!
Friend of mine just took delivery of a full custom Rifle in 204 Ruger and his fire-forming groups measured just under 1/3"!
I agree with the shameful state of affairs that Remington Arms brought about and onto themselves.
I shake my head every time I think of that once great companies self inflicted demise.
I think the finest factory "Colony Varmint Rifle" ever made was the Remington XR-100 in 204 Ruger!
I bought a couple of these new and a couple more on the used market - each and every one of these Remington Rifles (circa 2,005 to 2,007) are splendidly accurate.
I plan on handing them down to the VarmintChildren and VarmintGrandChildren when I cross the great divide.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AA1680

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.