Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Receivingblacknitride.com for questions. His name is Jacob (the intake manager I think). Very helpful.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wonder if this would smooth up the action on my Kimber Montana.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Different companies, however, I have gotten some similarly treated AR parts lately, and damn, it looks good. Black is beautiful. $150 seems like a hellaofa bargain.

I agree, bargain pricing.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That coating looks great! How durable is it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shinbone

Not an expert but don't believe its actually a "coating" like Cerakote or others. The process of nitriding actually changes the surface of the metal through a chemical process.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

Not an expert but don't believe its actually a "coating" like Cerakote or others. The process of nitriding actually changes the surface of the metal through a chemical process.

Correct. Creates a surface layer of nitride, as if case hardened into black goodness. Like up to 70 HRC. Ain't nothing else like it and you ain't setting up to do it in the garage.

I'll try to scratch some later.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Model70Fan

I am pretty sure it would. My action (700) is glass-smooth.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I just took a pocket knife and tried to scratch the muzzle shoulder on a QPQ nitrided barrel. Nothing. Farking amazing. Black magic.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
H&M BlackNitriding process explained: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AabpDN0Deo8&feature=emb_logo

From the video; BlackNitriding is a two-step process; 1) surface diffusion of carbon and nitrogen to harden the surface, and, 2) iron oxide formation for corrosion protection.

Another article which provides some info about H&M's BlackNitriding process: https://www.shootingillustrated.com...ros-and-cons-of-nitride-barrel-finishes/

It appears that H&M uses a standard salt-bath based nitrocarburizing process for its first step to caseharden the metal (and, nitrocarburizing is generally acknowledged to be an outstanding metal finishing process), and then, adds the second step of iron oxide formation to enhance the corrosion resistance. Thus, H&M's "BlackNitriding" is apparently an improvement on the standard nitrocarburizing process. There are likely other proprietary tweaks to the process that H&M adds, and doesn't reveal.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

I may just have to send it their way. What was your turn around time? And does it only come in black? Will they reassemble the rifle? I may call tomorrow anyway..

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

Correct. Creates a surface layer of nitride, as if case hardened into black goodness. Like up to 70 HRC. Ain't nothing else like it and you ain't setting up to do it in the garage.

I'll try to scratch some later.

Concur. I was worried about putting the ejector pin back in the bolt. The punch rolled off it several times and hit the nitride. Didn't leave a mark. If they would sell a hinged bottom metal conversion for this rifle I'd be over the moon. But at least this mag acts as a toploading magazine if you want.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

I may just have to send it their way. What was your turn around time? And does it only come in black? Will they reassemble the rifle? I may call tomorrow anyway..

Ten actual working days. Shipping is the wildcard. They will not disassemble or reassemble anything. If you send anything not taken apart they won't nitride it. My understanding is that the treatment turns anything black, BUT it will retain the original level of polish. So I don't think, based on what I've read, that it would make a deep blued barrel flat black like the m12 was *before* it got nitrided. It did darken the m12 some and you can feel the hardness of the new metal composition and it's smoothness.

Added: the exception to disassembly is the barrel from the action. You don't need to unscrew it. And in the m12s case, you couldn't even if you wanted to. BUT if you want the threading hardened, you obviously could on other rifles.

Last edited by clockwork_7mm; 03/03/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The process is like as described above, like a case hardening. Unless H&M is different I always leave mine in a tub of water. The QPQ salt needs to be removed. I posted in the passed an email from an Army armor and his vast experience with it. He did a lot of testing in a machine rest. His opinion was no increase in velocity, no loss in accuracy, but a greatly increased barrel life and a lot better corrosion resistance.
I have a very nice custom woodstocked 40x rimfire with a SS barrel. I like the rust blued look, so I high polished the barrel and did the Melonite QPQ and it looks like a nice rust blued barrel. .

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Has anyone bedded or thought about bedding? I can't decide if it's worthwhile... or how much too mess with the lug arrangement.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Does your question on bedding pertain to the nitriding or are you just asking if people bed rifles? I’m not sure I’m understanding the question because I can’t see what one would have to do with the other?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I know the company in question apparently told the OP that it isn’t necessary to pull the barrel. Maybe they changed their process in some way in the last 4 years since I’ve had anything nitrided but I will say that I believe it’s a good idea to do so. I have sent hundreds of guns out to H&M and another processor to be treated and have seen bad things happen occasionally from leaving the barrel on.
On a handful of occasions I witnessed a Remington recoil lug crack. On one occasion each I saw a Wby Vanguard and a MKV crack the front receiver ring. The processor’s explanation was the heat of the process and the difference in mass and alloys resulted in different expansion ratios for the barrel shank and the receiver causing the crack. Also like Butch mentioned it is difficult to get the salts out of the threads and they will “creep” white crustaceans out until all the salts are removed. It is much easier to get it out with the barrel off.

Also extremely small parts may be prone to embrittlement and failure. Things like #6 screws, extractors, and ejector buttons with a cutout for a retaining pin. Nothing made of spring steel should be processed, they become extremely brittle and break like glass. I’ve seen magazine springs inadvertently sent and they snap into multiple pieces the first time they’re compressed. Magazine boxes could also be problematic seeming to warp or spring at times and give feeding trouble on occasion. Remington 700 extractors should be replaced, they will break or at least lose tension.

All that is not to imply that I don’t like the process, I think it’s the best finish on the market but it does have limits. Just wanted to offer a counterpoint from my experiences.

Last edited by TheKid; 03/03/21.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Does your question on bedding pertain to the nitriding or are you just asking if people bed rifles? I’m not sure I’m understanding the question because I can’t see what one would have to do with the other?

Haha no, it has nothing to do with nitriding. But most of the guys who bought these all seem to be in this thread, so it seemed like an easy way to ask without starting a whole new one.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TheKid
I know the company in question apparently told the OP that it isn’t necessary to pull the barrel. Maybe they changed their process in some way in the last 4 years since I’ve had anything nitrided but I will say that I believe it’s a good idea to do so. I have sent hundreds of guns out to H&M and another processor to be treated and have seen bad things happen occasionally from leaving the barrel on.
On a handful of occasions I witnessed a Remington recoil lug crack. On one occasion each I saw a Wby Vanguard and a MKV crack the front receiver ring. The processor’s explanation was the heat of the process and the difference in mass and alloys resulted in different expansion ratios for the barrel shank and the receiver causing the crack. Also like Butch mentioned it is difficult to get the salts out of the threads and they will “creep” white crustaceans out until all the salts are removed. It is much easier to get it out with the barrel off.

Also extremely small parts may be prone to embrittlement and failure. Things like #6 screws, extractors, and ejector buttons with a cutout for a retaining pin. Nothing made of spring steel should be processed, they become extremely brittle and break like glass. I’ve seen magazine springs inadvertently sent and they snap into multiple pieces the first time they’re compressed. Magazine boxes could also be problematic seeming to warp or spring at times and give feeding trouble on occasion. Remington 700 extractors should be replaced, they will break or at least lose tension.

All that is not to imply that I don’t like the process, I think it’s the best finish on the market but it does have limits. Just wanted to offer a counterpoint from my experiences.

Appreciate the input. I specifically explained before sending it off to H&M that the m12 was a press fit barrel and couldn't be removed. They said no problem. I get what you're saying about different expansion rates with the barrel threading, but I wonder how much that applies in this specific case? i.e., aside from the pins themselves, I'm not sure where the solution would penetrate between the barrel and action that it couldn't escape assuming it could get in there at all? (I'm not a chemist or a metallurgist... these are genuine questions.)

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Haha no, it has nothing to do with nitriding. But most of the guys who bought these all seem to be in this thread, so it seemed like an easy way to ask without starting a whole new one.

Bought these what? Do you assume we read before posting? Uhhhh? LOL

Always bed the hell out of everything.

--- Kid Rock 2022

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The Mauser M12s from Standard for $499.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.