24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The reason all these things happen is due to previous generations not paying any attention to the changes in curriculum and policy in the public school system.

You’re witnessing the product of their parents. Or more accurately, (in most cases) their grandparents.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Kids can't even balance a checkbook, or work out a budget, figure fractions for mechanics, carpentry, and welding and metal fabrication. Counting change back is a big one.

I think it should be required to not only know the constitution, but WHY each of the rights were in there and learn to respect those rights. No cancel culture, no gun control, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You want a eye opener? Quiz someone on ounces, cups, pints, quarts, and gallons. Common sense is lost in this country,

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

Walked into the parts department office one afternoon after eating lunch until time to start work again. Three other coworkers at their desks trying to figure out how many feet were in a mile and how many acres in a mile. One guy was about 35 years old with a degree in business and marketing from major university, another was in his middle 20s and in his second year at a local community college, the third guy also about 35 and graduated from high school, and I was the oldest at almost 60 at the time with just high school a high school diploma, too. After a few minutes of watching them throw out all sorts of figures and formulas, I piped in with, "there's 5,280 feet and 640 acres in a linear mile" They all three stopped and stared at me then asked how I knew that... I responded with, "we had to memorize weights and measures in elementary school back in the '50s"...

l

And that episode perfectly illustrates why so many jobs today are listed as requiring a college degree when the requirement 40-50 years ago was (and should still be today) a high school diploma. In fact, someone who went to school in the U.S. in the 50s and 60s was much better prepared to function in the real world than many of today's college graduates, as your story shows. I'm thankful I went to school in a small town that had agriculture, shop, and home economics classes.

All three are very intelligent and experienced guys. The university graduate grew up working on their family farm, the second guy attending community college had served two hitches in US Army Armor and left with the rank E-6, the third was a whiz on computers and hard-wired multi-line phone circuitry and the companies best trouble shooter on both. Two of the three attended small town public schools, the university grad I can't recall now if he went to public or Catholic schools but either would have been small schools. My younger sister attended the same school as the computer whiz and was one year ahead of him. They were taught to spell phonetically and she still can't spell very well and neither could he.

So despite not knowing things like how many square inches in a hectare, proper use of obsolete hand tools and operation of archaic technology, they have managed to acquire the skills most useful to the world they currently live in and thus make a good life for themselves....weird!

I think the point here is, all students and even highly motivated students are and have been getting short-changed by public school's never ending "progressive" curriculum designed to meet the lowest level student's abilities. What they achieve beyond school is all due to their own personal drive or lack thereof...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What is evident here is that we have a urbanized society that is so focused on themselves, they can’t see that they are to blame. Schools became liberal and lack focus on education because we let it happen. Kids used to go to school for an education, now they are sent there to be taken care of while the parents both work to get a bigger house and a newer car.

This is what America has become because we let it happen. Anyone that has a kid that can’t balance a checkbook or write a cognitive sentence is more to blame than the school system. It became worthless because we let it.

Any parent that lives in the same house with a stupid kid is dumber than the kid.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Can't make this up....just can't. Mother is blaming the school.

City student passes 3 classes in four years, ranks near top half of class with 0.13 GPA

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/proje...anks-near-top-half-of-class-with-013-gpa

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do basic math and figure out how much the 200% interest that the check cashing place is really costing you...............

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Cretch
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I will start.

How to count change?

Ohm's law?

Guess it depends on the High School, but I had never heard of ohm's law until I went to tech school for electronics. I would be surprised to find many high school grads that knew what it was.

I learned some basic electricity concepts in high school physics but I'm sure a lot of high school graduates didn't take such a course.

I went to probably the smallest school in Rural Alabama (my graduating class had 28 people) and we covered Ohm's law in Physics..smdh. I'll bet if you didn't learn Ohm's law it is probably because you took the easy courses...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dess

City student passes 3 classes in four years, ranks near top half of class with 0.13 GPA

The article and video say they're taking him from 12th grade and moving him back to 9th grade. In reality, he should probably be moved back to 3rd or 4th grade.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
These too from the same site. I don't understand how any parent can be so disconnected from education of their children.

City Schools Launches Grade Changing Investigation Following FOX45 Report

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/proje...ing-investigation-following-fox45-report

Emails from Baltimore City Schools Show Culture of Grade Changing
https://foxbaltimore.com/news/proje...y-schools-show-culture-of-grade-changing

6 Baltimore schools, no students proficient in state tests
https://foxbaltimore.com/news/proje...ls-no-students-proficient-in-state-tests

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B3

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

Walked into the parts department office one afternoon after eating lunch until time to start work again. Three other coworkers at their desks trying to figure out how many feet were in a mile and how many acres in a mile. One guy was about 35 years old with a degree in business and marketing from major university, another was in his middle 20s and in his second year at a local community college, the third guy also about 35 and graduated from high school, and I was the oldest at almost 60 at the time with just high school a high school diploma, too. After a few minutes of watching them throw out all sorts of figures and formulas, I piped in with, "there's 5,280 feet and 640 acres in a linear mile" They all three stopped and stared at me then asked how I knew that... I responded with, "we had to memorize weights and measures in elementary school back in the '50s"...

l

And that episode perfectly illustrates why so many jobs today are listed as requiring a college degree when the requirement 40-50 years ago was (and should still be today) a high school diploma. In fact, someone who went to school in the U.S. in the 50s and 60s was much better prepared to function in the real world than many of today's college graduates, as your story shows. I'm thankful I went to school in a small town that had agriculture, shop, and home economics classes.

All three are very intelligent and experienced guys. The university graduate grew up working on their family farm, the second guy attending community college had served two hitches in US Army Armor and left with the rank E-6, the third was a whiz on computers and hard-wired multi-line phone circuitry and the companies best trouble shooter on both. Two of the three attended small town public schools, the university grad I can't recall now if he went to public or Catholic schools but either would have been small schools. My younger sister attended the same school as the computer whiz and was one year ahead of him. They were taught to spell phonetically and she still can't spell very well and neither could he.

So despite not knowing things like how many square inches in a hectare, proper use of obsolete hand tools and operation of archaic technology, they have managed to acquire the skills most useful to the world they currently live in and thus make a good life for themselves....weird!

I think the point here is, all students and even highly motivated students are and have been getting short-changed by public school's never ending "progressive" curriculum designed to meet the lowest level student's abilities. What they achieve beyond school is all due to their own personal drive or lack thereof...

Yeah can't argue that, I see more homeschooling and private tutoring out here these days. People getting together and hiring teachers/tutors for their kids seems to be getting more popular too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Earth orbits the sun and the moon orbits the Earth.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How to tie a simple knot beyond over hand hatchet knots that 2 year olds tie.

How to sharpen a knife.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Humility.

MAGA
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Dess

She is so uninvolved with her child's life that she just now finds out he had been flunking out of school for four years?

And that is someone else's fault?

Biden voter for sure! Probably twice. Possibly thrice.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JackRyan
The Earth orbits the sun and the moon orbits the Earth.

I had a friend’s step son out here helping me with some fence and firewood a couple years back. He is about 30 years old.

Deep blue sky that day, he says to me “hmmmph....when did the moon start hanging out during the day” ??

youre shîttin me, right? lol

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Is it just me seeing the irony of this thread?

The kids you're raising are the ones struggling? LMAO.

Camp is where you make it.
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I

l

It is not so much memorizing the data, or even the actual formulas to calculate the answer, but knowing how to find those formulas and then manipulate them.

No, I do not know, for instance how many sq inches are in a hectar. But I could find the formulas and scratch the answer out in about two minutes
And I feel safe in the proclamation that anyone intelligent enough to find this website and write a coherent sentence on this board could do the same.

Maybe, with the exception of our liberal trolls.

2.471 acres per hectar
43,560 sq ft to acre
144 sq in to sq ft

Who can not punch 2,471 x 43,560 x 144 = into a calculator?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Noticed several references pertaining to the ability to balance a checkbook. Bet I haven't written a check in over 25 years, thought those days were long gone? On very rare occasions I still see some little old lady holding up the line in Wally world while she scribbles out a check, always amazes me the practice still exists?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Kids can't even balance a checkbook, or work out a budget, figure fractions for mechanics, carpentry, and welding and metal fabrication. Counting change back is a big one.

I think it should be required to not only know the constitution, but WHY each of the rights were in there and learn to respect those rights. No cancel culture, no gun control, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc.

The education system is run by leftists. Leftists dont want you know what your constitution says or what your rights are because then you might oppose them stepping all over them. That knowledge will have to come from parents. After two generations of dumbing down and it takes a village to raise a kid mentality great parents are is short supply.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 694 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.