Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Originally Posted by Seafire
If you want to see if you can still use the 7 x 57 barrel, try a load of 40 grains of 3031 and then a bullet weight from 139 to 175 grain.. doesn't matter...

if it won't shoot that, the barrel is toast unless you rebore it at suggested...

338/06, 35 Whelen, 9.3 x 62, or just the old 8 x 57....

Mausers are fun things to have around, I like Vintage stuff...

a young man from our Scout troop, who is now 19, used one of my old Mausers in 8mm, on a deer this fall..

the load was 30 grains of 4198, Speer 170 grain SMP bullet, open sights, non bent bolt Mauser.. Turkish, 1920s...

50 to 60 yd shot.. but it dropped the deer who made it maybe 20 yds after being hit...he just buttonhooked and dropped dead..

it was Chads first deer... he now thinks the Mauser is the coolest gun on the planet...

I shot a few different hand loads, none of which did any better than 6-7 moa. I think it’s toast. Saw the zastava barrel and it’s a no brainer to put it on, very nice condition and excellent bore.

Cool story about the Mauser and first deer. I love reading stuff like that.

Its a "no brainer", but you are asking these guys what they would do? You also didn't answer the gentleman about why your are changing barrels if you are going to send it to JES for a re-bore anyway. The no brainer would be to keep the 7x57 barrel and have Jess re-bore it, if that is what you are going to do anyway. Cuts out the middle man/smith who has no reamers.. Is there a reason you seem to be bound and determined to have the Zastava barrel installed?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The military step barrel is rough , the zastava barrel is clean and has nice bluing. It is also not stepped. If my smith friend puts it on and I decide to keep it 8x57 I’ll guess I can rent the reamer and gauges to finish the job. Or I might just have him put it on and then send it off to JES so no need to bother with reamers and guages on my end.
Appreciate the replies so far.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Seafire
If you want to see if you can still use the 7 x 57 barrel, try a load of 40 grains of 3031 and then a bullet weight from 139 to 175 grain.. doesn't matter...

if it won't shoot that, the barrel is toast unless you rebore it at suggested...

338/06, 35 Whelen, 9.3 x 62, or just the old 8 x 57....

Mausers are fun things to have around, I like Vintage stuff...

a young man from our Scout troop, who is now 19, used one of my old Mausers in 8mm, on a deer this fall..

the load was 30 grains of 4198, Speer 170 grain SMP bullet, open sights, non bent bolt Mauser.. Turkish, 1920s...

50 to 60 yd shot.. but it dropped the deer who made it maybe 20 yds after being hit...he just buttonhooked and dropped dead..

it was Chads first deer... he now thinks the Mauser is the coolest gun on the planet...

I shot a few different hand loads, none of which did any better than 6-7 moa. I think it’s toast. Saw the zastava barrel and it’s a no brainer to put it on, very nice condition and excellent bore.

Cool story about the Mauser and first deer. I love reading stuff like that.

Its a "no brainer", but you are asking these guys what they would do? You also didn't answer the gentleman about why your are changing barrels if you are going to send it to JES for a re-bore anyway. The no brainer would be to keep the 7x57 barrel and have Jess re-bore it, if that is what you are going to do anyway. Cuts out the middle man/smith who has no reamers.. Is there a reason you seem to be bound and determined to have the Zastava barrel installed?

I asked a question and find it interesting and insightful to get other’s opinions. If this is somehow annoying to you, move along, no need to respond as you are.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I'd stick with 8x57. Very cool old cartridge and ammo is cheap and easy even during the panic. If you went 9.3x62, I wonder if a cross bolt would be worthwhile just as a preventative to protect the stock? I had one installed on a HVA 640 in 9.3 just to help avoid any unnecessary cracks.

The 8mm bullet is quite the thumper in it's own right. No it's not a 9.3 but a respectable thumper.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd have Jess rebore the zastava barrel to 9x57 with a .358 bore and 12 twist aka .358 Roberts smile

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Did I mention the barrel is free?

I got that, but what's the cost of free? How much more is it actually to get a new barrel installed on your action vs. free barrel installation and rebore.

JES rebores for $250, but does that include removing your old barrel, cutting a 9.3X62 chamber and headspacing the free barrel to your action? Or are you going to have to pay a GS or JES to fit the barrel to your action before/after the rebore? It might not be hard to get $400+ into this rebore project of a free barrel.

For $500 Douglas will install one of their CM barrels on your action, you'll also have the additional cost of bluing or coating as they don't offer it. PacNor will install a stainless barrel for $605-630 to your action, no need to coat unless you want to. Just weigh the actual costs is all I'm saying, it might be worth the extra money to buy a new barrel

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That is a good point that I didn’t make clear, my gunsmith really is my friend, like we hang out together with our wives, we hunt together, hell I’ve packed out his elk on my back. So there will be negligible cost in having him put the barrel on( but I wouldn’t have him do it for free, he’s a good guy and wouldn’t take advantage of him).
Ive had JES rebore 2 guns for me, both to 358 and both shot very well after. He rebored, rechambers and head spaces it. At least that is my understanding. But I do have a call into him as I’m going to discuss what I want to do with him. I’m also interested in his opinion.
Thanks again for the replies. Projects are fun, new guns are. Can’t hunt right now or fish where I’m at so talking about it with people on the fire is a good way to pass the time.

MM

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
If the barrels being installed for next to nothing, I'd go 8x57 and take a chance. Installing a used barrel just to rebore, I'd buy a new barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with a new barrel over reboring the free one.

Shaw barrels are about 200 and it sounds like you have a hook up to install it. Or let Shaw do it for another $135.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
If you make a decision to get rid of the 8 x 57 Zastava barrel, PM me, I need one. I also have a Brownells short chambered 7x57 barrel laying around here, and a reamer doing nothing. Paul.

Last edited by flintlocke; 03/03/21.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd put the 8x57 barrel on it, it's a very versatile caliber, it will do anything that a 308 or 30-06 will.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The fact that the existing barrel is a "Stepped" barrel would to me make it not up for consideration. To me, the big question is what do YOU want. No sense in making it a chambering that you don't want. The 8x57 is a great choice, but if you don't like it, then why even consider it.

I hear all the emotion about making it a 9x57, but I don't believe that's a viable choice, either. Dies are uncommon and expensive. (Altho' I think I have an extra set I could let go. Brass is Non-existent. Thus, you must make brass. One can either use 8x57 brass or cut down .30-06 or .35 Whelen. But it's a lot of work. But I wouldn't... unless you just happen to like doing it. (I do) I do have a fair quantity of factory Kynoch 9x57 ammo, and I'll donate a box of it just for good luck. I've more than I will ever use... and I've already taken a deer with it. (245 gr. RN) It is, I believe; corrosive and I know it's Berdan primed. But don't let that sway your decision. I've owned three 9x57s but I don't see it as any more powerful than a .358 Win. In reality; the difference between a .358 Win. and an 8x57 is practically negligible. If you want any significant gain over the 8x57, one must go to the 9.3x62. But don't expect to find any loaded ammo in your local sporting goods store... The other down-side to the 9x57 is that loading data is practically non-existent. Altho' I can help you out on that, as well. But none is available with the popular powders of today. Old Lyman manuals have it, and perhaps a couple of articles in Handloader magizine.

I'm just offering you up a few things to think about... Good Luck!

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I really like my 9.3x62, but another option might be 338-06. I seem to grab my 338-06 more than any other rifle for most of my hunting. I would have it rebarreled rather than bored out.

NRA Endowment Member
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve found my #1 most costly mistake in Mauser building has been trying to save money.

At best I end up with a job I can tolerate, at worst I end up spending the money I should have up front to get the job done right.

It took me a while to accept this, and I spent twice far more times than I ought to have had to before learning the lesson.

And that’d be true even if I had a friend who’d do the work for free.

As a matter of fact I’d take the free (or close to it) work as a reason to get it done right; you’re already saving so why not put that money into a quality tube?

Just my $.02

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lots of really good advice on here, 338-06 was one consideration I hadn’t really thought of.

Flintlocke also provided an option I had as of yet not considered.

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have done this too many times. The problems I ran into were being cheap and then not being happy...and the balance/weight.

Just talk with Lothar Walther for a barrel...278 bucks shipped got me a long chambered 6.5x55 barrel which now lives on my Husqvarna action.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
mitchellmountain, I have had two .338/06 and two .338/06 Ack Imp. I eventually abandoned the calibers because of also owning a .338 Win Mag. Compare the .30/06 loaded with 200 gr. Nosler Prt to the .338/06 and there isn't much of a difference. With 250 gr. bullets, the .338/06 can't hold a candle to the .338 Win Mag. Thus, if you have an '06, (and who doesn't?) there's not much reason for a .338/06 (Logically, that is...) And if you also own a .338 Win Mag, then there is even less reason for a .338/06. I queried writer Ken Waters on the merits of the .338/06 vs the .35 Whelen and he seemed to prefer the Whelen. Someday, I'll find that letter and frame it. smile But if you just WANT a .338/06, then all bets are off... blush

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,351 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.