J
In more ways than one.

That was per the 8n owners group.

I am MAGA.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Upon recommendation from a crusty old Harley mechanic, I've been putting a capful to 1 ounce in a full tank of gas for 20 years in mine.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
B, I sure would not mess with any high octane fuel. That engine has a compression ratio of 6.2/1. Just barely enough to make 85 or 87 octane fire off.

Lead was useful to lubricate valve seats, not valve guides.

When it was rebuilt in the 80s, it probably got hardened seats.

I tore down my 8N and rebuilt it in the garage in the mid eighties. It has hardened seats. And it has run thousands of hours since pulling a plow, disc, corrugator, terracing blade, and fresno. It runs as well today, as it did with the fresh rebuild, all on 87 octane, no lead, 5% ethanol.

Have you taken the fuel cap off and seen the fuel boiling inside the tank from engine heat yet? That is when you know you have been working the old girl.

One cousin has the Furguson OHV twin to the 8N, a TO 20. Grandad had three 8Ns, an Uncle has three more, my Dad had one. They all get fed the same diet as mine. They all have spent 50 years working in the fields, and none have failed prematurely.

Don't sweat the fuel. She will run well on whatever you have available to feed her. And with your rate of usage, she will still be running when your grandkids die of old age.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
The seat is what suffered at the loss of leaded gas, not the guide. But the loss of lead in gas wasn't normally a problem for most industrial type engines as they had hardened valve sets already. Not just Ford, but Deere, Continental, Perkins, etc. etc. Many even had valve rotators that turned the valve a partial revolution each time it opened, keeping the seats free of carbon. This more likely to be seen in OHV engines.

This aside, Marvel is still a great fuel additive IMO. I started using it in older Harleys that didn't yet have hardened seats, at the urge of an older fellow I once bought a motor cycle from. He told me to just use a cap or 2 full per tank & not to use it every tankful, just every other one. Said it was so good, that it built up in the system & if used too often, the engine would begin to puff smoke. He said you can plainly see when you've used it too often. I thought, BS! It was not BS.

I don't need it to lube seats in anything I now own but have found another use for it. I winterize fuel systems with Marvel. Way better results for me than Stabil.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Marvel also works well as a fogging agent when putting marine engines away for six or eight months.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
My guess is, you’ve got hardened seats, and you’ll be fine, but with as little as you’re using it, lead substitute would be cheap.

OTOH, any motor with a flat tappet cam ought to be using a ZDDP substitute these days. Manufacturers have taken much of the zinc out of motor oils (ruins catalytic convertors, and isn’t needed for roller tappet cams and OHV motors). Even lawnmowers/garden tractors ought to get an SJ oil or ZDDP substitute (the zinc is way low in newer SN oils).

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by GeoW
But ethanol free gas is still not leaded gas, is it?

no

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two 8Ns, one my Granddad had rebuilt in 1983 with hardened seats and I just use non-ethanol gas. The other I mix Red Line or Motor Medic lead additive into non-ethanol gas that was recommended by the N Tractor Club and N-News.

http://www.ntractorclub.com/

https://n-news.com/

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 12344mag
It's actually to lubricate the valve seats and to prevent engine knock.

You can use a lead sustitute to take care of the problem.

This. It is the valve seats that require the lead additive. You can have hardened seats installed to prevent the wear.

The beatings will continue until morale improves
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I run mostly ATF in my diesel fuel to boost cetane. I also use Marvel Mystery Oil as a fuel additive alternately.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by aalf

Doesn't the station in Hickville have leaded gas?

There's hardly any place to buy leaded gas around here. One station about 30 miles away has it.

Our local Chevrolet dealer has a performance shop. He sells 2 grades of leaded gas. One is 100 octane and the other is 110 octane. It comes in 5 gallon cans. Another option would be 100 LL (low lead) at your local airport.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
100LL avgas should work.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 700LH

1 Pure Gas Stations in Alaska
print all RSS feed for Alaska
City Brand Octane Name Phone Street Address Last Updated
Any Town UNBRANDED 87 91 93 All Alaska Gas Stations
LOL

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Get you a lead substitute for the gas, and Rislone makes an oil additive with ZDDP.

ZDDP was used by my neighbor on one of his motors for the valve seats.

Normally its for the cam and lifters.

Maybe that's what it was for, and I misremember.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Zinc additives..ZDDP

and then if one puts about 5% diesel fuel mixed in with your gas, it increases your octane...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by stevelyn
100LL avgas should work.

That'll work real good.. spendy, but I use that in my lawn mowers and Trimmers around the house...

Figure in the frustration of having to clean out carburetors, and replacing spark plugs etc, avoiding all of that, paying $4.50 a gallon for avgas doesn't seem like that bad of an idea any more...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I run mostly ATF in my diesel fuel to boost cetane. I also use Marvel Mystery Oil as a fuel additive alternately.

I've been told that ATF can screw up injectors in diesel and gasoline engines. For 16 years I've been using a mixture of Power Service (to increase the cetane/clean injectors) and TWC3 2 cycle oil (to lubricate the injector pump and injectors). Every time I fill up I add 7/10 of an ounce of the mixture for every gallon of diesel. I used a MMO/Power Service mix for about a year until I found out that 2 cycle oil is a much better lubricant than MMO. MMO is almost all mineral oil with just a few other additives, it does smell good though..

Last edited by victoro; 03/03/21.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I've been told that ATF can screw up injectors in diesel and gasoline engines. For 16 years I've been using a mixture of Power Service (to increase the cetane/clean injectors) and TWC3 2 cycle oil (to lubricate the injector pump and injectors). Every time I fill up I add 7/10 of an ounce of the mixture for every gallon of diesel. I used a MMO/Power Service mix for about a year until I found out that 2 cycle oil is a much better lubricant than MMO. MMO is almost all mineral oil with just a few other additives, it does smell good though..

Bad for common rail diesels, and really bad for DPF and SCR.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use MMO in everything. I've been known to even mix it with my coke. A splash here and there has saved me countless hours in carb rebuilds alone. Nothing gets stored for the winter without some MMO being ran through it.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Seafire

and then if one puts about 5% diesel fuel mixed in with your gas, it increases your octane...

Everything I've found discussing this discredits it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.