-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I've been looking into Browning BLR rifles for several years now and somehow just discovered that they used to make the BLR in .325 WSM. I think that cartridge would be perfect for the BLR. Unfortunately, Browning no longer makes the BLR in that cartridge, and it seems that the ones they did make are few and far between. That leads me to my possibly crazy idea.

Does anybody know the possibilities of having a carbon fiber 8mm barrel put on the BLR? I think that it could work well and create a handy, neat-looking, and accurate rifle. I can't find anyone that offers an 8mm carbon fiber barrel, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places? Let me know what y'all think and if you have any leads for a 8mm carbon fiber blank.

GB1

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Probably need to post in the Gunsmith forum.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a BLR in 325. It's stainless/walnut with pistol grip and 22" barrel. It was a shot show special, and at the time I was looking to obtain it, the fine folks at Browning HQ told me that only 10 were built in that configuration. They gave me the name of a distributor who had received 7 of them, and they still had 2 when I contacted them.

Its a beautiful rifle and I debated leaving it NIB, but finally scoped it with a USA made Burris Short Mag 3-9 scope and spent time at the range with it. Had a local GS clean up the trigger a bit, and it shoots around 1" @ 100 with the factory 220 grn PP. It doesn't like the 200 AB factory load or 200 grn Barnes hand loads near as much. The best load for accuracy has been the 220 grn Sierra, which is accurate with different powders and charge weights. I came across a really good closeout deal on the factory PP 220 grn load and stocked way up, so that's what I've been using in it for some time.

I've carried it for elk in timber a few times, but haven't had an opportunity yet. So far it only has a few Whitetails to it's credit. It's more than you need for that use, and I also have a BLR 358 that I like to carry for tracking deer, mostly because it's been well used and I don't sweat a few new marks like I do with the 325. I do intend to take it moose hunting, and to use it for elk again. It's a lot of power in a nice, svelte, easy to carry package, and it's much more than a short range woods caliber. If you step clear of the timber into a meadow or clear cut, you have a capable rig for further off game. Overall, ballistically, it's a great fit in the BLR platform for larger game at various ranges.

The carbon fiber would make an interesting rig, and being that the BLR isn't really a old time looking lever, especially with pistol grip, it would look nice. If you're stuck on the CF and 8mm isn't in the cards, there's a ton of info on the 338 wsm.

If you don't mind a factory configuration, I haven't found them to be all that rare. Until recently, you could find them on GB regularly. Otherwise, if you just have to have one now you could find a 270 or 7mm wsm and have it rebored. If you need some brass to get started, I can help you out.

Last edited by Starbuck; 04/03/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,090
Posts18,464,038
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.