Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Heading to Soldotna in Sept. Wanted to take a couple days to hunt black bear or open to other species. I plan on spot and stalk hunt. Can someone point me in the general direction for areas that would be good to hunt/hike for black bear. I am looking for trails or old logging roads with water and food sources? Any pointers or information that I should consider. Thank you.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I haven't hunted the Soldotna area, but I think what you're asking applies more to BC/SE AK bear hunting.. I would be looking at mountainsides above treeline for bears on berries, especially late September. Bears may be a lot more focused on fish down there though, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone with more area specific info can chime in.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Esox357
Heading to Soldotna in Sept. Wanted to take a couple days to hunt black bear or open to other species. I plan on spot and stalk hunt. Can someone point me in the general direction for areas that would be good to hunt/hike for black bear. I am looking for trails or old logging roads with water and food sources? Any pointers or information that I should consider. Thank you.

Hate to burst your bubble, but you aren't going to find a black bear around Soldotna as a non-resident hunter.

1. Any good areas are going to be closely guarded, since there's a lot of people in the area, and not much easily accessible habitat... no one's going to give there secret area out on the internet.

2. You need a wheeler or boat to get to most prime areas.

3. There are more brown bears around than ever before, pushing blacks out.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
With an hour's drive or so there are plenty of bears to hunt...

No guarantees, but I bet you'll see some bears.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks CWh2 and others. I appreciate the info!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
With an hour's drive or so there are plenty of bears to hunt...

No guarantees, but I bet you'll see some bears.

I hear 14 year olds are good bait...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Get up into alpine country and glass. Bears are fools for berries that time of year. Ressurection Trail, Palmer Creek Valley, Ptarmigan lake Trail, Carter lake. Someone here has a son who took one above Summit Lake- glassed right from the highway.

Skyline trail, Fuller Lakes trail. Summit Trail, lots of places.

No names mentioned..... smile

Last edited by las; 03/04/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
On the Kenai Peninsula I suggest my back yard or my front yard or sometimes in my outhouse or chewing on my buildings, snow machines ATV's, trucks, hand tools and a twice my body.

Last edited by AGL4now; 03/04/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
Get up into alpine country and glass. Bears are fools for berries that time of year. Ressurection Trail, Palmer Creek Valley, Ptarmigan lake Trail, Carter lake. Someone here has a son who took one above Summit Lake- glassed right from the highway.

Skyline trail, Fuller Lakes trail. Summit Trail, lots of places.

No names mentioned..... smile

Thank you. I will do some researching. I was looking at Devils Pass area in there as well.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have glassed up tons of bears from turnigain pass south, right from the road. Climbed to within range of several, and even killed a couple. Got used several times too, but it was all fun.

September is moose (and sheep and several others) season, and I doubt there are that many people chasing bears.

AGL4now, I just now "got" your handle. Damn I am slow.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by cwh2

AGL4now, I just now "got" your handle. Damn I am slow.

whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle whistle Comes from decades of driving Super Cubs.

Last edited by AGL4now; 03/04/21.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks again cwh2!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
With zero bear experience I glassed up 7 from one road off the 'Arm during the berry season. Finding them was easy. Getting to them? Another story smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If hunting bears in the berries, I would leave my iron-sighted pucker brush rifle at home. You may have to shoot a ways.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If one will spend the bucks for maybe an hour of flying time (1/2 hr out and back), he can likely be dropped via float plane in a spot where few if any will ever walk in. Several years back a buddy did a sheep hunt, and as we were driving into town the next season, his GPS implied we were only 18 miles from his sheep camp. Might try the High Adventure folks. One can easily surf them up. Just prior to our caribou/moose departure, they were returning with a successful black bear hunter that had only been minutes out.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/06/21.

1Minute
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know 1minute. Any idea on cost for a trip out for approximately an hour?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good to know 1minute. Any idea on cost for a trip out for approximately an hour?

No need for flying, there are plenty of bears and It will take a lot more than an hour of flying time to figure out how to get to a bear after you spot one. Without references already established you will simply be lost.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
https://highadventureair.com/custom-charters/

I think we paid around $2000 for both of us. They currently show a rate of $750 per flight hour. A buddy and I used High Adventure Air for a fly out drop off BB hunt. I have no complaints. The folks that used them across the inlet might be a little more critical since they were on their Beaver when it flipped. Minor injuries, no deaths thank God. We were in the boonies when the accident happened so we didn’t know about it until after we were back.

Great trip, nice grayling on almost every cast, saw bears but none that were my idea of a shooter. We had more visits from federal game wardens than I’ve had in an entire lifetime which was really wearing thin. After the third or 4th visit (everything was by the book and in order since their first visit) we had decided that anymore visits would not be tolerated. The small stack of game warden business cards were our proof. 😉. Luckily we didn’t have to go down that road. If I were doing the same trip again I’d pay them a visit first because at some point their presence is borderline harassment, especially for 2 guys that were checked and in compliance with licenses, permits, etc.

The air service out of Moose Pass literally left 2 caribou hunters stranded and kept using the weather as an excuse. The hunters knew it was bullshit since the wardens got in (almost) every day with their Cubs....plus they saw that we got in. Finally after being “stranded” for 4 days and having eaten much of their caribou they made the hike around the lake to us. They brought a backstrap as a gesture of goodwill (not necessary since we were happy to help) and we called our flight service on our sat phone. Our guys came in and picked them up. A sat phone should NOT be overlooked.

All in all it was a great trip. We could’ve bagged a nice Billy and a nice (broomed) Ram....we’d be getting out of jail about now. 😁. I was happy just watching them. We encountered all 5 seasons (including mosquito season) while we were there. Howling sustained winds, snow, sleet, rain and sun all visited us. Lots of ptarmigan.....did I mention that the grayling fishing was ridiculously fun? If I didn’t have a fish on in 3 casts I’d move 100’ and cast again. I think the record was 15 fish in 15 casts. I pinched the barbs since we only kept enough for lunch or dinner each day.

PS....There were a couple of mosquitoes around and the Thermocell acted more as an attractant than it did a deterrent. The Thermocell was like a pay by the hour motel to the skeeters and we were afraid that some of the bigger mosquitoes might carry it off. We had 100% Deet which helped but I was afraid we’d grow a third nut based on the amount of Deet that we used. Our $1.79 head nets were in the truck in Soldotna....long sleeves kept us from being completely exsanguinated. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Aces,

Good information. Thank you! I'm thinking about a wolf tag as well? Figure if I get a chance it would be worth the 60.00 dollar tag. Worst case scenario, I will come back empty handed. Going mostly to fish but I never pass up a opportunity to explore and hunt!

Last edited by Esox357; 03/06/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
High air is a good choice. They also work with Talon air. Of they can't get you out for whatever reason, talon will try and vice versa. Atleast that's the way it used to be.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
With zero bear experience I glassed up 7 from one road off the 'Arm during the berry season. Finding them was easy. Getting to them? Another story smile

The "Arm" is near the top of locations for fatal bear mauling's. Massive amount of bears, but so "Hellish" horrific country to hunt.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I like a challenge!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

YEP.......Fun and giggles till the chewing starts. Then you are compelled to accept that you can't stop having chunks of meat progressively ripped from your body. Something I and my neighbor know quite vividly.

Last edited by AGL4now; 03/07/21.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Esox357:

Any idea on cost for a trip out for approximately an hour?

Can't give one a current quote, but they typically respond to e-mails. I believe they have an hourly rate, and it does not matter how many folks one tosses in. I think the Beavers can pack about 6 aboard, so if one splits costs, it gets less expensive individually.

Good luck,

1Minute
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks 1minute.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AGL4now

YEP.......Fun and giggles till the chewing starts. Then you are compelled to accept that you can't stop having chunks of meat progressively ripped from your body. Something I and my neighbor know quite vividly.

Sounds like that area needs hunting!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AGL4now

Sounds like that area needs hunting!

TRUE.......but as stated, this "Turnagain Arm" area is damn hard country to hunt. Steep and hard to penetrate. If you get something down, you soon wish you had not suffered the hell to get up to it, and are bewildered as to how to retrieve the harvest.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Where are you coming from and what is your brown bear experience?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
0 brown bear experience.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Buddy told me 30 years ago at first you are scared of the bears after 4 plus hours of Alder hell you just want them to kill you and get it over with! Later on, you will discover
the importance of picking a path and sticking with it, if your smart or not.

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/08/21.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It’s easy to go up a mountain, your path is viewable. Coming down is another matter. All you can see is air. Paths are indistinguishable and, after the third or fourth trip down and back up to start again, you will wish you had brought surveyors tape. Plant it high (and line of sight) as the little bastards like to chew on it and pull it down...
Combine with a gps and one is well served.

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yea several years back we went after a late Fall Brown bear broke ice barefoot to keep boots dry, pushing with toes in very steep stuff, the bear got away and I'm glad, it's a young man's idea of fun!

Was neat when I was glassing looking at probables and my son said asked if I wanted to see one that was walking! A good day spent with my wife and son!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Black bear are common a buddy ALWAYS gets HIS! S Lucy Kenai lake and hike you’ll get one. In spring NOW, a bit early but April and brains you’ll do well.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 8mmRem
Black bear are common a buddy ALWAYS gets HIS! S Lucy Kenai lake and hike you’ll get one. In spring NOW, a bit early but April and brains you’ll do well.

But what about September when the op will actually be here?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.