Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I will be in the Denver/Colorado Springs area this weekend just for a couple of days. Any suggestions of places to see. Also any restaurants that I should look for as well as gun shops?

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

know before you go

ask Joe

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Oh

Joe is/was a homicide detective in Colorado Springs

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If the weather is nice and skies are clear, Pikes Peak.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a little snow Thursday into Friday... with a nice weekend to follow.
Fairly slim pickings on the gun shop front...

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Um, well, Denver is pretty much libtard city these days. Not many gun shops but you can find pot stores on just about every city block. Springs is still a little conservative so there' a chance of meeting normal people there. I know a lot of the gun stores in the Denver area and some in Springs, almost no guns in stock in any of them. Ammo is even more scare.

As far as things to do, unless you ski, this is probably the worst time of year for a visit. Mountains are chock full of snow, and city is thawing with hiking trails slick as beaver runs. Not all a downer though, take a drive from Springs, to Woodland park, to Highway 24, to Lake George, go north on HW 77 to itty bitty town of Jefferson, turn right onto HW285 which will take you into Denver. Absolutely gorgeous loop through the mountains and you won't need 4WD if the roads are good.

There's a range on the south side of Springs, Cheyenne shooting complex (or something like that), it shares land with Fort Carson. The range Nazi's are well typical, but they have steel out to 475 yards for 223 and lesser calibers.

Air Force Academy is super cool, but I think you need reservations to be make a visit. Garden of the Gods has some cool rock formations right at the west edge of Springs. The Springs Zoo is actually pretty interesting if you are into those sort of things. The Broadmoor is an iconic hotel in Springs. Longest running 5 star resort in the US I've read. Bring your American Express, or better yet, someone else's. The Manitou Cliff Dwelling on the west side of Springs are actually pretty impressive. google it. There was an crazy adventure course there too, like walk a tight rope over a 500' valley below.

Colorado is about what God made and not so much what people made, so the more time you can spend outside and enjoy the mountains, the more you can appreciate the state.

And don't forget, the state is full, enjoy, but you must leave.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame was worth an hour back in 2002👍

Last edited by MPat70; 03/03/21.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's the other direction but Gunsport Colorado in Boulder has more interesting guns than the the chain stores.
Tell the guys, Geno says Hi!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Specialty Sports in Colorado Springs is the biggest gun store in the state and the biggest I've ever been in. Cowboy Hall of fame is fun. If you
like Mexican food Senior Manuels is excellent and only about a mile from Cowboy Hall of fame.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just west of Denver on I-70 there's a small town called Idaho Springs. Lots of good food there. It's an old mining town in the process of becoming tourist trap. There's a gold mine tour at the Phoenix Gold Mine. It's worth the visit. You can see gold, silver, and other minerals in veins in the mine. It's 100% legit, owned an operated by a local mining family. There were scenes on the Discovery TV show Reclaimed that were filmed in the mine. The Argo mine is in the same town and also worth the visit, but I'd pick Phoenix first.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I think the Buckhorn Exchange Restaurant in Denver is interesting.

And there used to be Mountain Man Steakhouse out buy the airport in Denver that specialized in Bison steaks, good.

But sadly, I think they shut down the Boogie Down Club, :(, three stages of fine viewing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for The Buckhorn Exchange in Denver.
A very Historical and cool place.
Enjoy!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Union Station downtown in Denver is neat. One of the best restaurants albeit rather spendy is Barolo Grill. If you have time to head south to the Springs then definitely hit the Garden of the Gods. I would check to see if the US Air Force Academy base is open to visitors too. If it is then that is a great place to visit and see the Chapel along with the visitors center. Barolos is closed on Sunday and Monday.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Only thing I ever did there was attend the Academy graduation.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Casa Bonita out on West Colfax. It was pretty tired looking last time I was there. Old Mexican village in an old department store. Cliff divers and minstrels. Food is taco bell quality but a fun place to visit.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kandpand
I will be in the Denver/Colorado Springs area this weekend just for a couple of days. Any suggestions of places to see. Also any restaurants that I should look for as well as gun shops?

M.W. Reynolds Inc.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by kandpand

Go see Dragonman

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Shotgun Willie's 😃

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Weather permitting,
https://www.buffalobill.org/

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tater74
Casa Bonita out on West Colfax. It was pretty tired looking last time I was there. Old Mexican village in an old department store. Cliff divers and minstrels. Food is taco bell quality but a fun place to visit.

We used to go visit my aunt and uncle in Denver every few years when I was a kid and Casa Bonita was a must. Same with the US Mint, Coors factory, and Eliches' (sp?).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 257man, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.