-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I keep coming to the realization that I really love and prefer lever guns - Winchester Model 88 (.308 & .243), Marlin 336 (30-30), Marlin Model 62 (.256). Now this sweet rifle is heading my way - carbine by the way! Pictures won't load so here's the link: https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/big-boy-color-case-hardened-side-gate/

Any sling & swivel recommendations? Looking for nice leather. Not sure if I want a bandolier style or not due to weight but I'm open to suggestion :-)

Recommendations on adding peep sights? I love shooting with iron sights so won't be adding a scope (though my eyes would argue that I should :-) )

How about factory ammo experience? Any particular rounds you love or hate?

Can't wait for it to show up!

Last edited by jammingator; 03/04/21.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Roll your own.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Stuck a 1” Montana sling on my BBS Carbine .45 Colt and like it, though hasn’t been carried much.
I didn’t care for the irons, but there are a couple good peep sight options and scope mounting is easy enough. I stuck an old M8 2.5x on mine.
I bet yours shoots very well. Mine does. But it may not feed longer bullets. I had to file the lifter on mine to get it to run 286 grain cast SWC’s.
Can’t help you with factory .44 loads.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Roll your own.

Cracking up coming from a Sheriff!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Potsy
Stuck a 1” Montana sling on my BBS Carbine .45 Colt and like it, though hasn’t been carried much.
I didn’t care for the irons, but there are a couple good peep sight options and scope mounting is easy enough. I stuck an old M8 2.5x on mine.
I bet yours shoots very well. Mine does. But it may not feed longer bullets. I had to file the lifter on mine to get it to run 286 grain cast SWC’s.
Can’t help you with factory .44 loads.

That Montana sling looks pretty nice! How does the color match the wood?

Thanks for the reminder on the peep sight options (will edit my original post to include), think I'll probably go that direction rather than a scope.

Good head's up on bullet length.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The sling doesn't really "match" the wood, but the colors go well together. I'd post a pic but I've never learned how to on this site, and probably won't.

Check out the Ranger Point Precision peeps.
I was going to go that route, but found a deal on another scope for my .45-70, so the M8 on that rifle got shuffled over to the Henry.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The sling doesn't really "match" the wood, but the colors go well together. I'd post a pic but I've never learned how to on this site, and probably won't.

I was going to go that route, but found a deal on another scope for my .45-70, so the M8 on that rifle got shuffled over to the Henry.

Or this. http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I have an early Big Boy. The one where the scope mount holes were under the rear sight. Needed a canti lever mount. Really a slick set up. Henry was selling the canti lever mounts directly. Don't know if they still do or not.

Last edited by dallased; 03/04/21.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Awesome, now you need a Savage 99.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by viking
Awesome, now you need a Savage 99.

Yes I do! Keeping an eye out for one in 243!

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Originally Posted by dallased

I have an early Big Boy. The one where the scope mount holes were under the rear sight. Needed a canti lever mount. Really a slick set up. Henry was selling the canti lever mounts directly. Don't know if they still do or not.

Looking at the Skinner sights too -any thoughts on receiver mount vs barrel mount?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jammingator

Originally Posted by dallased

Looking at the Skinner sights too -any thoughts on receiver mount vs barrel mount?

I personally prefer the side of the receiver mounted peep sight but that is just me. I have 4 earlier Marlins and all have the side mounted peep. I think they have a little more friendly adjustment setup also.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Got to shoot this beautiful rifle on Monday - banging steel at 110 yards with 240 grain Fiocchi JSP was a whole lotta fun!

Though I was able to shoot ok with the stock sights, I'm diving in to decide what to switch to. Skinner receiver or Skinner barrel mount? Low V rear with ivory bead front?

Last edited by jammingator; 03/17/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you enjoy your Henry. I'd opt for the receiver [Skinner]. It's just a longer, better sight radius. I scoped both my Henry's,.357 and .45 Colt, but, have shot other lever guns with the Skinner sights and they flat work.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.