Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15855948 03/02/21
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I've never owned one. I've got a couple thousand rounds of .22lr at home. Walmart has one for $239.99.

Are they accurate enough to be a good training rifle if mounted with a quality scope?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Depends on what you are training for.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're training to hit pop cans at 50 feet they are great.... but I hear from reading all the forums and even on facebook groups that in order to get the best accuracy out of them all you have to do is replace the barrel, action, trigger, stock, and put a really good scope on it....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Accurate enough to be fun. You can't lose at that price.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Sheister
If you're training to hit pop cans at 50 feet they are great.... but I hear from reading all the forums and even on facebook groups that in order to get the best accuracy out of them all you have to do is replace the barrel, action, trigger, stock, and put a really good scope on it....

This has been my experience with numerous 10/22's, apparently I am a slow learner - I keep buying them because I run across them cheap and keep expecting them to better than my experience has shown them to be. I currently own one that is likely to be a keeper because it will keep 5 shots into an inch or so at 50 yards, which is better than some 10/22's that I spent quite a bit of money on would do.
And to be realistic that is acceptable for a $200 rifle with bulk ammo.

Although to answer the OP's question is impossible since he does not define what a "training rifle" is and what his expectations of it may be.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A $150 barrel does help. I have yet to try the high quality match ammo recently purchased. This is drop in to the recently acquired stock. I need to check barrel contact. I am thinking there is some gain still there.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One likely will not win an competitions with any off the shelf unit, but it should be fine for popping bunnies etc out to 100 yds if one does not care where he hits them.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/03/21.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Stock rifle, try it. Don't like the trigger? Throw in a Volquartsen hammer. Don't like the groups? Have your barrel worked or buy a barrel.

@EDM What scope mount is that?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
the selling point of the 10/22 for a long time was the reliability.

i hadnt ever seen one shoot particularly well until i got a 10/22 target with the spiral barrel.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best semi auto 22, IMO. Lightening the trigger will benefit the most.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
for 239, especially these days...go for it. I think I have five of them right now, and not a single one is stock though. They are fun to tinker with.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Have always kept some around, but wondering how the TC and some other iterations stack up?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They work, and usually shoot okay. There are better options for training a beginner, I think. Semi-autos are a bit more complicated to manipulate, and the stock trigger might not be real consistent. Still, if it’s what you can find now at a price within your budget, they’re good rifles.

IMO, the best upgrade is one of the Ruger BX triggers, for about $50 or so.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
They work, and usually shoot okay. There are better options for training a beginner, I think. Semi-autos are a bit more complicated to manipulate, and the stock trigger might not be real consistent. Still, if it’s what you can find now at a price within your budget, they’re good rifles.

IMO, the best upgrade is one of the Ruger BX triggers, for about $50 or so.

Who knows. I still hear guys firing off rounds like its the 4th of July. I'm wondering where they are finding their ammo... I'm at the range the other day and some yayhoos down below me at a rock pit are burning up ammo like there's no tomorrow. I'm casually firing off rounds downrange on target with my AR15, testing some new loads in a new barrel. Just because you have a semiautomatic rifle doesn't mean you have to fire it off like a fu cking maniac, but many do. Maybe the 10-22 is the best training rifle for this kind of shidt. It happens all the time. I'm still wondering what kind of training the op is interested in. I don't think he answered that question..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Stock rifle, try it. Don't like the trigger? Throw in a Volquartsen hammer. Don't like the groups? Have your barrel worked or buy a barrel.

@EDM What scope mount is that?

Weigand

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Who knows. I still hear guys firing off rounds like its the 4th of July. I'm wondering where they are finding their ammo... I'm at the range the other day and some yayhoos down below me at a rock pit are burning up ammo like there's no tomorrow. I'm casually firing off rounds downrange on target with my AR15, testing some new loads in a new barrel. Just because you have a semiautomatic rifle doesn't mean you have to fire it off like a fu cking maniac, but many do. Maybe the 10-22 is the best training rifle for this kind of shidt. It happens all the time. I'm still wondering what kind of training the op is interested in. I don't think he answered that question..

That's pretty much my thinking on the subject.

The unfortunate part, JMO, is that kids who are introduced to shooting that way never really learn marksmanship. Oh yeah, they'll have fun, and hopefully learn gun safety, but won't learn to appreciate the satisfaction of hitting precisely where you aim, predictably and repeatedly.

bang bang bang bang "Hey, Dad, I hit the bullseye". "Good job, kid."

And, if you are preparing them to be hunters, it becomes a serious ethical issue.

Last edited by Paul39; 03/04/21.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mcclure: I say go for it - I own and shoot a bunch of Ruger 10/22's including a couple of "modified" no longer factory models.
At that price you will be getting a very good Rifle for training someone in the use of a semi-automatic Rifle.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I got my first 1022 in 72.
Yeah, I shot it fast. shot it slow too.
Punk azzed kid, i liked to hit the target way more than make noise.
Pop can flips up the bank and rolls down, semi is pretty fun.

Training....yeah whatever.

Its a fookin rifle. The person behind it dictates good shots or not.

Think a Volq hammer ( or mod original ) is a good upgrade.
If that doesnt fix it to tolerable, proly swap bbl for aftermarket.

I got an old Numrichs walnut stock and stainless bbl when you could buy em both for just over 100 bucks. Dunno what actions are fetching now.

IMHO the old fingergroove stock made rhe 1022 feel good.
Nothing else comes close.

Started out blazing w a 1022 and ended up running a #1B on chucks. Aint no training BS....theyre just rifles.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/05/21.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I can do head shots on tree rats out to 100 yds with factory 10/22 and mini mags.My Kidd super grade will do them at 200 yds.If you get factory rifle give it about 500 rds for break-in and the best mod would be the trigger.The 10/22 is a lot fo fun.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The 10/22 has given me more fun than any other rifle I own.Put a good scope and new trigger on the 10/22 and shoot the [bleep] out of it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.