Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
CED if budget is a concern.

Lab Radar if not.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Shooting Chony was way too light-sensitive for me. I like the Magnetospeed. True muzzle velocity in all lighting conditions, cheap and usually easy to set up.

Politics is War by Other Means
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Labradar

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This post should tell you what people think of a shooting chrony. I still use it for comparison, but I believe a magneto is more accurate. My shooting chrony still shows what I think is faster than actual at times.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13027605/1

NRA Benefactor life member
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Is the Magnetospeed any good? I've never seen one, let alone tried one.

[Linked Image from media.mwstatic.com]
I was using a Pro-Chrono but, since I shoot at a public range, I purchased the Magnetospeed V3 chrono. I won't be going back to the Pro-Chrono. When I first got it, I tried the different spacers on 2 of my rifles for which I was reloading, so that I would not waste time at the range doing this. After that, it was easy to install on each barrel. Another advantage of this chrono is that it did not miss recording a single shot, unlike my Pro-Chrono. I recommend the V3 version highly.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Lab Radar if not.

Some enterprising gunwriter could do a lot of good by using a labradar unit to test and publish negative acceleration rates for a range of projectiles.
Excluding wind it should be a fairly consistent number based on projectile size and shape. .

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Lab Radar if not.

Some enterprising gunwriter could do a lot of good by using a labradar unit to test and publish negative acceleration rates for a range of projectiles.
Excluding wind it should be a fairly consistent number based on projectile size and shape. .

You mean actual real world ballistic coefficients.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Started with a chrony and now use Magneto speed.

It is less trouble to set up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had either a mid '80s Competition Electronics 1st. It was a screaming pile of unrepairable schidt. My Oehler has been fine since the late 80s. The only complaint is that late afternoon is kinda sketchy when the sun gets too low so I try to plan accordingly.

It seems silly to shoot over the head/control unit because schitt do happen. Skyscreens are cheap in comparison. The Oehler is a bit of a pain to set up if there are other shooters at the range but I will use it til it croaks. If buying new today I would either get another Oehler or look closely at a Labradar.

A magnetospeed might work using Mule Deer's extra front rest setup, but otherwise would be a pain to swap between guns because I take 4 or 5 rifles to the range. I'm also unsure how it would work on a pistol.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Shooting Chrony here too. I recommend getting the cable so you don't have to walk as much.

Last I heard is that Shooting Chrony is no more. Closed, gone, went the way of the DoDo.

Just checked you are correct, no where to be found

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Lab Radar if not.

Litz has done that...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a Pro Chrono for years and if the battery isn't getting weak and the sun is just right you get good readings. I bought a Magneto Speed a couple of years ago and now that's what I use 90% of the time.
Since the MS unit will change your point of impact I usually find an good load using the OCW method then chrono that load.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had two Shooting Chrony chronographs. They generally worked, but I don't believe they are accurate enough to rely on the statistics they generate. That said, I think just about any chronograph that will function is better than none at all.

These days, I'd only use a 35P (which I've been using for five or six years) or a Labradar. I'd probably give up my 35P for a Labradar, but only because of the ease of setting one up.

I've never used a Magnetospeed, and that's because I've never wanted one. If my methods for load development were different I might be open to using one, but I'd rather collect velocity data the same time I'm collecting accuracy data. Some claim that the Magnetospeed doesn't affect their POIs or accuracy, and that may be true with some barrels (I'm thinking very heavy barrels, but I sure don't know) but I just don't believe that. Hunting rifles are not benchrest rifles, but I know that the barrel tuners seen on benchrest rigs don't move much at all but still have noticeable effect. I don't see how hanging an object of some mass near the muzzle won't have considerable and maybe even significant effect.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JonKamar
I’m in the process of building my reloading room and custom loading several different calibers. What chronograph do you all recommend??? TIA

It may partly depend on where you do or can shoot.

I had a Pro Chrono that was cheap and worked great, but I rarely could use it, unless I drove four hours away to my friend's farm.

Most ranges I have been to won't allow you to set up a chrono in front of the shooting benches, like this one:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So, I use a Labradar. I used to have a Magnetospeed, but I gave that away when I got the LR. With the LR, you can shoot multiple rifles over it in succession without changing, securing, and getting the right number of the pads on the MS for the next rifle barrel. Some people love them, but I find them too labor intensive. The LR also will track the bullet speeds for varying distances downrange. so, you can do a rough check on the B.C. of your bullet.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

Lab Radar if not.

Measuring BC on a bullet at 100 yards or less is not of much use. On mine, set to high power, I don't get readings much past 100 yards with .30 cal bullets. Less than that with smaller bullets.

Radar systems that will read the bullet to reasonable distances (800 + yards) are quite expensive (over $100K, I think...don't own one).

There is a more affordable option for measuring BC on the way. The Oehler System '89 can be set to measure Velocity only, Time of Flight only or both. If you set it up to measure both, it also gives BC based on the velocity and TOF measurements.

I've got a Beta system and have successfully gathered lots of data at about 1 mile. I've also verified it worked at 2 miles (I was not doing the shooting).

Dr. Ken has been working on it a few years and, I believe, has got the bugs worked out. Should be here soon!

Last I heard it will be less than $2,500 for a system. Many people have scopes that cost more than that!

Last edited by BufordBoone; 03/04/21. Reason: To add information.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tarbe
As the Captain of the Luddite Society, I am still using the Oehler M33 that I bought in 1978!

I have upgraded to the Skyscreen III screens (1990 vintage?).

That Oehler set up cost me an entire month of Marine Corporal pay at the time (about $300).

I am hoping to use this machine until I croak!

If I were starting over, I'd get a Labradar.

Tim

got mine in 81. Still use it today. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Labrador’s are so easy to use, but speedy. And not too good for 22 or lower calibers, but that’s what I use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Picked up a ProChrono DLX from a buddy month or two ago. It replaced a 30year old Shooting Chrony. I ended up selling the Shooting Chrony and am happy with the ProChrono. I think it is probably the best of the cheap chronographs.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prochrono works.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Lab Radar if not.

Exactly but numbers with units in ft/s^2 (or ft/ms^2 is probably more useful) as opposed to a coefficent.
BC is a unitless coefficient. Right?

That would allow for an easy estimate of velocity or energy at distance X, Y and Z.

BuefordB,
That's why I figured a gunwriter could get a loan of one of the high dollar units...

If they tell you the time of each velocity measurement (or the delta between them) you can find the deacceleraton rate..

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 03/04/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
793 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 3,189 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.