Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I got mine on 2x8 PT. Ill take some more pics of the whole coop tomorrow, guess I misunderstood ya.coons have tried diggin underneath to no avail.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Geno
How did he get in? Looks pretty secure.

He didn't get in, that's the outside of the pen. Maybe you can make out rocks along the bottom of the fence area? To help keep the diggers out. And there's a 2x8 full dimension corral board behind that.

One of our dogs set up to barking one night, the dog yard is on the other side of the chicken yard. He has a special bark when there really is a critter out there and he's not just letting the neighborhood dogs know this is his world. I went out, he's looking through the chicken yard, I see the badger there on the other side in the flashlight glow. Between the dog barking and me yelling, I thought he'd take off. Nope, just looked at me and went back to sniffing around for a way in.

I went in, grabbed the shotgun and went out to where he was. Even from 6-8' away he had no intention of leaving, even when I got closer and pointed the barrel at his head. Just gave me that FU look. OK sucker, bye bye.

Not sure if he was the same one that lived in that woodpile for a while. Wood was left there by previous owner, included in our offer as we moved in here in November. I didn't want to be looking for firewood with real winter approaching. Badger wasn't a real issue then, as we didn't have chickens.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The fox story is another thing. Don't, I repeat DON'T, forget and leave the chicken yard gate open after you let them out to "free range" for the afternoon.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Judman
I got mine on 2x8 PT. Ill take some more pics of the whole coop tomorrow, guess I misunderstood ya.coons have tried diggin underneath to no avail.

Nah, you did great with the pics. I wanted to see how your nest boxes were set up. And that shows up pretty good.

This is our coop when it was delivered. Little door on facing side it for the birds to get in and out at night. I leave it open as the coop itself sits inside that fenced in yard. Yard is 12'X28' or so? I'm looking for a good overall picture of the whole Gulag, as slumlord christened it grin

There is an access on the back side for the three nest boxes, but I like the looks of your set up better. I'll poke around for a pic of them too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Always knew you had one in the wood pile!

Mighty purty coop there!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Geno

He didn't get in, that's the outside of the pen. Maybe you can make out rocks along the bottom of the fence area? To help keep the diggers out. And there's a 2x8 full dimension corral board behind that.

One of our dogs set up to barking one night, the dog yard is on the other side of the chicken yard. He has a special bark when there really is a critter out there and he's not just letting the neighborhood dogs know this is his world. I went out, he's looking through the chicken yard, I see the badger there on the other side in the flashlight glow. Between the dog barking and me yelling, I thought he'd take off. Nope, just looked at me and went back to sniffing around for a way in.

I went in, grabbed the shotgun and went out to where he was. Even from 6-8' away he had no intention of leaving, even when I got closer and pointed the barrel at his head. Just gave me that FU look. OK sucker, bye bye.

Not sure if he was the same one that lived in that woodpile for a while. Wood was left there by previous owner, included in our offer as we moved in here in November. I didn't want to be looking for firewood with real winter approaching. Badger wasn't a real issue then, as we didn't have chickens.

The fox story is another thing. Don't, I repeat DON'T, forget and leave the chicken yard gate open after you let them out to "free range" for the afternoon.

great pics

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always knew you had one in the wood pile!

Mighty purty coop there!

The Mennonites here are purty smart folks. We're 2 hours from the nearest "Tuff-Shed" type place, so they started a business to fill the local need for sheds and stuff. They make a wide variety of sheds, 3 sided horse/goat/yard equipment barns, and that coop and I may have seen a dog house or two there.

Cost was more than I planned on spending, but that pic was taking in mid March, my chicks were coming soon, the weather hadn't turned yet and I didn't want to do the 2 hr drive for reasonably priced materials and then have to build the damn thing in March weather. 3 days before that guy delivered it, there was 3" + of snow on that driveway.

So I decided a little local economic stimulus program was in order.

I'm short, but I'd love for that thing to be 2' taller for cleaning purposes. Other than that it works fine.

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Geno

great pics

Thanks

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK , some better pics of the Gulag. Background info, I'm cheap. The posts were $8 a piece, juniper, likely outlive me. 2x8 full dimension corral boards around the bottom I picked up at the local Ace hardware, 14' long, for about $10 each a couple of years back. A whole stack of them in the parking lot marked down as some were getting a bit "bent". The rest of the lumber used was from the boneyard here on the 7Acre RANCH!, some was here when we got the place, some I think I may have brought down with me from my WA boneyard when I lived up there. Lumber racks are cool, handy items at times.

Back of the chicken yard is the fence for the backyard. 6' wire, 4" openings up high narrowing down to rabbit mesh (2"x4") below. I put the 1/2" hardware cloth and chicken wire over that in case a critter got in the dog yard and wanted to access the chicks that way. Not a good idea if the dogs are awake. Pallets to the right are the Gulag annex for the hen the rooster and the other hens tried to kill. She's got her own little house in there. One of my better layers so I had to save her.

Posts are 8' apart, chicken coop is about 8'x8' footprint. Notice the woodpile badger habitat is no longer next to the chicken yard.

Nest box door on side in the annex now.

Nest boxes:

Nothing special, good enough for my small herd of birds. If I was rich I'd have a bigger coop, easier to walk in, and a much nicer fenced area. Maybe uncle Joe will send us a much bigger stimulus check? whistle

In it is contentment

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Those fried eggs are way overdone. The yolk needs to be runny.

No runny yolks for me. If there is anything that I absolutely can't stand, it is an egg that is not cooked through and through.

AMEN! Like my eggs fully cooked.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Those fried eggs are way overdone. The yolk needs to be runny.

No runny yolks for me. If there is anything that I absolutely can't stand, it is an egg that is not cooked through and through.

AMEN! Like my eggs fully cooked.

That's considered "overcooked" to many here!

But, some folks like okra too.

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okra is good fried.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 260madman, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,379
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.