Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For many years I packed Mountain House, Peak, Back Packers Pantry, etc. meals on multi-day hunting trips. Last couple of years I eliminated those and shopped for food items in local grocery stores. I must say it is working out well.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I agree. I still find myself taking 1-3 Mountain House pasta sauce meals though on a 5-7 day hunt. Something about boiling and waiting while doing clothes and hunt prep for next day maintenance while soaking with hot water and then eating and going right to bed with warm stomach that's nice....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeh, a warm meal in the evening is part of my routine. It usually consists of instant oatmeal with dried fruit or beef or chicken bouillon cubes and vegetable chips soaked in hot water.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only go backpacking a few times per year. So, the convenience of the backpacking meals is too much for me to pass up.

We generally prefer the Beef Stroganoff variants for dinner, but I add in some quality beef jerky to them before adding the boiling water.

For breakfast, if I'm hunting, it's usually just a Cliff Bar or something. If not, we usually have one of those breakfast scramble meals, but, in those, I add bacon jerky.

During the day, it's usually dried fruit, nuts, jerky. Sometimes, I bring some greasy potato chips, which along with booze, make a good emergency fire-starter when needed.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I find that oatmeal doesn't last long enough. A local store has bulk foods with a 5 grain cereal that lasts much longer. I add chopped dates for a sweetener and several kinds of nuts and seeds. A bit of powdered milk helps, too. I prepackage it in meal sizes in quart freezer bags. Just add boiling water and let it sit 6 or 8 min. The only dirty dish is a spoon.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
For me cook in the bag rules, my pot only boils water and I lick the spork clean. I can have coffee and breakfast or dinner while in my bag. Homey don't wash dishes. MH biscuits and gravy for the win.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nissin SOUPER Meal.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am horrible about this. If I have a main base camp I usually have a jet boil to have Mt House in the evenings, but if I am spike camped I usually just live off of snacks and prepackaged junk. I probably shouldn't, but I can't stand to do anything besides open a package and eat it. That is not to mention that by the time I get back to camp I am also usually way too tired to boil water and let a Mt House sit for 10 minutes. I'd be snoozing before it is ready.

I live off of cliff bars, trail mix, single serving fig newtons, etc. and for mornings a bigger bag of cereal. I don't bring any silverware. I just shove handfuls in my mouth and chug water. I can't stand to bring bowls, spoons, etc. It is just more stuff to pack in and out, or burn. I usually don't build fires either, unless I kill a grouse to cook or want to sear a tenderloin. The last thing I want to do at camp is gather wood and tend a fire. I just want to sleep.

I really should get better about backcountry chow but old habits die hard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a titanium spork and bring a few disposable plastic bowls. The latter also make good backup fire starter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lvmiker
For me cook in the bag rules, my pot only boils water and I lick the spork clean. I can have coffee and breakfast or dinner while in my bag. Homey don't wash dishes. MH biscuits and gravy for the win.

mike r

I couldn’t agree more! MH Biscuits & Gravy are delicious - better than some restaurants! I’ve eaten them at home with an over easy egg or two - so tasty.

To throw in a grocery store item - Belvita Breakfast Crackers. Addicting.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 03/06/21.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you happen to have fresh eggs to cook, break them into a plastic bag and boil it. No pan to clean there, either.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I get these at Costco . Empty into ziplock bags. I bring tuna in pouches that I add too with hot water into ziplocks. I throw dried seaweed you can get at Costco too, a packet or two of sriracha . The packets of sauce with the soup are pretty good. Having one good meal a day to look forward to helps me mentally, especially if schitty weather.

https://www.amazon.com/NongShim-Premium-Noodle-Tonkotsu-Ramen/dp/B08GXYPD6H

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

those biscuits are awesome

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wait until you mix a MH biscuits and gravy with a breakfast skillet and then fill a tortilla with it! 😃

I’ve also been bringing a few of the Justin’s PB packets and spreading them on a Honey stinger waffle or a protein cookie for a snack while glassing.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a mixture of MH and dehydrated meals. Here are some examples of the dehydrated items;

Oatmeal - Quaker Fruit & Cream instant
Instant Coffee
Instant Cocoa
Breakfast Cereal & dehydrated Milk
Country Time dehydrated Gravy mix & some real Slider Rolls
Beef Jerky
Bacon, precooked
Cup-O-Noodles
Tang
Velveeta Shells & Cheese + can of Ham (in a foil pouch)
Burritos - dehydrated Refried Beans + Boil-in-Bag Rice + Tortillas
Lypton dehydrated Chicken Casserole + small can of Chicken (also in a foil pouch)

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ribka
I get these at Costco . Empty into ziplock bags. I bring tuna in pouches that I add too with hot water into ziplocks. I throw dried seaweed you can get at Costco too, a packet or two of sriracha . The packets of sauce with the soup are pretty good. Having one good meal a day to look forward to helps me mentally, especially if schitty weather.

https://www.amazon.com/NongShim-Premium-Noodle-Tonkotsu-Ramen/dp/B08GXYPD6H
Most ramen I've seen is non-food. There's nothing nutritious in it unless you add that other stuff.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Most ramen I've seen is non-food. There's nothing nutritious in it unless you add that other stuff.

It's got that MSG pick-me-up though.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Freezer Bag Cooking by Sarah Kirkconnell

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
We just freeze leftovers in vacuum bags put them in boiling water, shut off heat and let them sit for about 20 minutes, home-cooked meals in camp. Easily get 7 plus meals in a small collapsible cooler. Mostly for boat camping, have breakfast sandwiches for Bfast, deluxe meal at night. No odors to attract bears a plus here in Alaska, and cheap
and fast. Plus stomach is a lot happier in camp.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobmn
Freezer Bag Cooking by Sarah Kirkconnell

Great tip! Just ordered it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.