Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Has anyone here flown through Amsterdam with firearms to South Africa with firearms?

What was your experience like? Is it difficult?

Any information you are willing to share will be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help?

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It is a fairly easy process with all relevant forms available online.

A couple of pointers......

1. You must apply for the transit permits from the Dutch gov't as well as notify KLM that you will be traveling with guns/ammunition.
2. Both you guns AND ammunition must be listed on the gov't forms as well as the KLM declaration.

In the past (2013) you were forced to fax the paperwork to the Dutch gov't and often it went into a black hole with no response. Since then, they have updated the process to allow submission via email and the permits were returned via email in a few days.

As with any international travel with firearms, have extra copies of your written confirmation from KLM as well as your transit permits with you when you travel.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
BH – We’ve taken that route twice. Last time was Aug 2019.

The layover going over was long (12hrs) but, the secure area of the terminal is very large, lots of shops and restaurants. We booked a day-room in the Yotel Hotel right there inside the second floor of the secured area. Since we’d both been to AMS and the city, we just decided to stay in the airport. Not even sure you can go into the city now with the Rona even. We had a shorter layover on the way back and the Yotel also offers just shower booths. We did that instead of the full Yotel Hotel room on the way home.

You do have to apply for a transit permit for firearms even though they are checked all the way thru. The form is kind of long but the instructions (English) are pretty clear and easy to follow. You fill it out, print, sign and scan it back in and email it to the terminal security officials along with a copy of your passport, 4457, airline ticket and PH/Outfitter's Invitation/Motivation letter. Kicker is you must submit it 8-WEEKS before your initial transit. It covers your return flt home. No fees.

They will not issue the permit until the week before you fly. You will receive a confirmation email they received your application. If they have any questions or need corrections to the form they will contact you by email. May want to start tickling them once a week a month before you depart. Your actual permit will be just a counter-signed copy of your application with some official stamps on it. Print it, put a copy in your rifle case(s) and keep a copy. We just had to show a copy when we initially checked in with Delta and KLM on the return trip home.

KLM also has a simple one page firearm declaration form to fill out and give to the check-in agent.

I can send you a copy of the forms or you can download them from the KLM website.

All in all the flights were good and would go this route again based on pricing.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
AK416 and M3Taco covered all the bases, I have transited Amsterdam twice (this massive amount of travel makes me an undeniable expert 😆) and no issues whatsoever were had with the firearms and permits.

We had three hour layovers so just enough time time to deplane, grab a sandwich walk across the airport and go through security to replane.

I always carry a folder with 2 or 3 extra copies of all the various forms I need (being Canadian the forms are different than what you will need) and have found on occasion that a nervous and concerned airline staffer who does not need a copy of my forms is rendered pleasant and helpful with a small stack of photocopied paper. Nothing covers a bureaucratic ass like paper.

The Dutch are pleasant and efficient, KLM is a wonderful airline. Check out the KLM economy plus seats, if you book early economy plus with the bulkhead is awesome.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Be careful right now transiting Amsterdam due to Covid. The government of the Netherlands has instituted some pretty draconian Covid measures, multiple tests are required before getting on the plane. I don't know if you'd just be connecting through Amsterdam or if you plan on spending the night, and I don't know if the requirements are different if you're just transiting. The rules are also constantly changing, the last time I was in the Netherlands was about three months ago and everything was pretty much open. Now I hear they're in a pretty hard lockdown.

Here's a place to start looking:

https://www.government.nl/topics/co...therlands/travel-and-holidays/air-travel

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only issue I dealt with was at check in with KLM in Seattle. The agent was wanting to see originals and not faxed copies, and that is what I received from Amsterdam. I needed to get a supervisor involved to sort it all out. This process was about 45 minutes. So it pays to be there early for check in.

Keep in mind that you will need the proper permits, the delay is usually that the permits are only provided a few days prior to your travel. I was on the phone daily the week prior to leaving looking to see when the paperwork would arrive. So make a note if you are doing your bookings or use a good travel agent.

Make many copies, along with your 4457 as this helped the process. it is like every one want a copy of your permits. I had copies in my carryon luggage that was easy to access. I used them going and coming.

Make sure you have and know where your luggage tags that the airline gives you. Make a note on the tags which tag is for your rifle. Not knowing, leads to other questions. I was asked to provide the bag claim tags a few times. So keep it all together. I wear a vest with an inside pocket and it all goes there, that and your passport.

Now are you traveling with family or by your self. Coming back through Amsterdam if you are with your family you will all need to be together. Short interview, just answer the questions.

Amsterdam, was good, find your gate and then go back to the food court and have a nice drink or meal.

Airport instruction are in English and easy to read, just follow them and there should not be any issue. One time they asked to see all liquids and another time they did not. So just read and be prepared for what ahead.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did a similar layover in Frankfort years ago. I can't be of any help re: Amsterdam but I encourage you to pay someone to take care of this. I have used both Gracy and Steve at Travel with Guns.

I don't like the stress of bureaucratic paperwork and prefer to pay someone to either prevent problems or solve them.

405wcf

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF
AK416 and M3Taco covered all the bases, I have transited Amsterdam twice (this massive amount of travel makes me an undeniable expert 😆) and no issues whatsoever were had with the firearms and permits.

We had three hour layovers so just enough time time to deplane, grab a sandwich walk across the airport and go through security to replane.

I always carry a folder with 2 or 3 extra copies of all the various forms I need (being Canadian the forms are different than what you will need) and have found on occasion that a nervous and concerned airline staffer who does not need a copy of my forms is rendered pleasant and helpful with a small stack of photocopied paper. Nothing covers a bureaucratic ass like paper.

The Dutch are pleasant and efficient, KLM is a wonderful airline. Check out the KLM economy plus seats, if you book early economy plus with the bulkhead is awesome.

The permitting process is easy. There is no hassle. KLM provides excellent service - excellent staff - nice planes - decent food. I've used them in May 2014 and April 2019.

If competitively priced, I will always use KLM and go through Amsterdam. Only 22 hours to Joburg pre-rona. Can't beat that. As GRF said, the layover was just enough to walk across the airport and board the next plane.

I'm too cheap and not as monied as GRF to book the economy plus seats smile. However, if you can book a bulkhead seat, way more legroom. I do swear that their Airbus seats were narrower in 2019 (it couldn't be that my ass was bigger!)

Last edited by AB2506; 03/07/21.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you all for your help; it is greatly appreciated.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.