Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is a very popular soup in Poland, and especially on Easter. During Lent is can be seen without meat.
The magic soup roux is fermented like sour dough starter kinda. I just started some, so I took pics.
Add pictured stuff with 1/2 cup rye flour and 2 cups of water and set in a warm place for a few days, add another 1/2 cup flour and cup water and wait for 7 days total. Good idea to mix it up every day.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
About 10 peppercorns, and about 10 all spice, maybe 5 bay leaves, 1 tbs majoreum leaves. Few crushed whole garlic.
Soup base is made with water, kielbasa, or maybe bacon slab, whole carrot, parsnip, celery or celery root. That all gets boiled, then the roux is added and again simmered. It will be thick.
Usually most slice up the carrot and meat and leave that in the soup. Other roots can be added or reserved for a salad. Served with 1/2 hard boiled egg, and usually everyone adds some horseradish when served. Very popular, and like many soups amounts and substitutions like being vegetarian is standard. The bottled fermented mix is sold in stores in Poland, so that is a shortcut. You can also get it as a dried soup mix on Amazon in foil packs and add fresh items. Roux is easy to make though. Plenty of versions on youtube. Classic soup this time of year, it is a spring celebration soup.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Terryk- that looks pretty damn good!

Years of brewing has given me an appreciation for rye. Wasn’t long ago I didn’t care for it, but now opening a sack of rye flakes is a treat.

I’m going to get some rye flour this weekend and give it a go. Moms maiden name is Niemczyk, I’m going to ask about it.

Thanks!

Last edited by MadMooner; 03/05/21.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hoping for pics when your batch is ready.

Mooner, rye is wonderful stuff. Wife and I eat rye bread a few times a month it seems. See the bread thread. Latest is yoghurt rye. I add it to my multi-grain pancakes very frequently.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

wonderful. thanks for sharing

Originally Posted by Terryk
This is a very popular soup in Poland, and especially on Easter. During Lent is can be seen without meat.
The magic soup roux is fermented like sour dough starter kinda. I just started some, so I took pics.
Add pictured stuff with 1/2 cup rye flour and 2 cups of water and set in a warm place for a few days, add another 1/2 cup flour and cup water and wait for 7 days total. Good idea to mix it up every day.
About 10 peppercorns, and about 10 all spice, maybe 5 bay leaves, 1 tbs majoreum leaves. Few crushed whole garlic.
Soup base is made with water, kielbasa, or maybe bacon slab, whole carrot, parsnip, celery or celery root. That all gets boiled, then the roux is added and again simmered. It will be thick.
Usually most slice up the carrot and meat and leave that in the soup. Other roots can be added or reserved for a salad. Served with 1/2 hard boiled egg, and usually everyone adds some horseradish when served. Very popular, and like many soups amounts and substitutions like being vegetarian is standard. The bottled fermented mix is sold in stores in Poland, so that is a shortcut. You can also get it as a dried soup mix on Amazon in foil packs and add fresh items. Roux is easy to make though. Plenty of versions on youtube. Classic soup this time of year, it is a spring celebration soup.

Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mine won't be ready for a while, so I just googled Zurek for pics. Sometimes it is served in a bread bowl. HB egg and horseradish are usually added when serving.
You can also use whole wheat flour, but usually rye is the word.
You can order the bottled fermented roux from Amazon, but it is super expensive, and it is easy to make. I think if you wanted to try it, you could order the dried Zurek soup mix, my daughter actually likes that version also. I guess supplementing the dried mix with fresh veggies and kolbasi really carries the meal.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Terry,

They all look great but I'm a bread fan so the one in the bread bowl looks extra special.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, my hillbilly lack of sophistication is showing, but..
What is the deal with a bread bowl?
You can't eat it with soup in it?
Do you eat it when it's empty?
How? Isn't it messy as heck?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I've never had a bread bowl.

I am MAGA.
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep you eat the bread bowl. It is usually a thick crust sour dough.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I think a bread bowl and broccoli cheese soup would be good.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,822
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.