Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gregintenn
There are old retired farts with nothing to do standing in every store waiting for something to be put on the shelf so they can scarf it up and resale it toy you at ridiculous prices on gunbroker or at the gun show.

This is exactly what happens here in Amarillo. I talked to the Walmart and the Academy Sports and they said when they get ammo in the same guys are there every time and they snatch it all up and they told they are all old retired guys. I suggested that they stop stocking ammo at the same time and on the same day and stagger it out throughout the week to deprive them of their ability to do that. Fell on deaf ears.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Willto
A lot of naïve folks will tell you it's 'market demands' due to a lot of new gun owners but that is mostly BS.

Yeah I don't buy that horse chit either. I might be inclined to believe that a flood of new gun buyers concerned for their safety caused a shortage of ammo in a few types like 9mm, 45 acp or .223, etc. But the main shortage in my area is hunting ammo in calibers like 7mm-08, 25-06 and even 30-30. Am I really expected to believe that 7 million new gun owners all went out and bought a lever action 30-30 as their first gun for home or personal defense? Or a bolt action 25-06? Really? I'd be scared to let a moron dumb enough to believe that horse chit drive me across town.

First 20 guys in the local sporting goods store- "Oh my, there is no .223 or .308 or 7.62x39 or 9mm or .45 ACP on the shelf, I better buy what I can so I can at least shoot something, oh look, here is some 7-08 and 25-06 and 30-30, I'll just buy some of that instead, at least I'll have it to deer hunt with"

Originally Posted by ERK
Ok guys I can understand the ammo and components shortage I guess but my nephew bought a 7-08 and is gonna reload. No dies available at that time anywhere he or I looked. You guys trying to say both people who bought a 7-08 bought up all the reloading dies on the internet. Gotta call bs on this and a lot of other things that are out of stock. Edk

Next 20 guys in the local sporting goods store and online "oh my, there is no 7-08 or 25-06 or 30-30 ammo anywhere, I better buy reloading dies so I can at least load my own"

Next 20 guys "oh my, there are no components available, but I just got an email alert from Grafs saying they have primers and some powder so I better buy everything they allow me to"

Next 20 guys "hey you guys on this internet forum, where is all the ammo going?"

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Ammo is available at a decent retail price for the day and age at certain places if your willing or able to play the game.
And it's a hit or miss thing on what is available.

Better than paying obscene resale scalper prices even if it is basic capitalism getting what people are willing to pay.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty good piece. Makes it clear it’s not just one thing causing it, but a perfect storm of actions and circumstances, AGAIN!

I just have to wonder, when this one’s over, how many will take action to not get caught again, and how many will slide back into being the grasshopper from the fable? Perhaps being a “victim” of events brings some sort of perverse satisfaction of its own, like women who go from one abusive partner to the next. There has to be some reason for that mentality too.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Just talked to a friend of mine down the road. He and his kids went to Harrisonburg Virginia 2 weeks ago for the gun show. Apparently the line was out the door and they were not willing to wait to get in.

Older gentleman parked near them was likewise overwhelmed by trying to get through the crowd to get inside to sell his ammo.

Offered to sell them his ammo directly.

$20 a box on 9 mm and Bricks of 22 rifle for $10 each.

I think they bought everything he had.

They did not however actually make it in the show to acquire beef jerky and a camouflage dream catcher... so obviously there was some disappointment.

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/05/21.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Don't claim to have all the answers but I understand the shortage . Year and 1/2 -2 years a go nobody was panicked about buying ammo they just bought what they thought they needed for the season or immediate use. The short sighted view because that is the way they have allways done it. There have allways been more than a few of us who really enjoy burning ammo thru our various firearms on a regular basis so we keep supplied on a regular basis knowing all the time what we need in ammo or supplies to make ammo were mostly in good shape inventory wise. The short sighted types call us " hoarders". Our ammo goes out the barrel at a pretty regular rate so we buy lots of components and ammo we don't load. So that in a neat orderly proficient matter our guns go bang on a regular basis. Keeping up with the normal demand and supplying it were no problem for the ammo manufacturers. Overtime is damned expensive and cuts into your profit margin as a business expense so they don't work overtime when there is no excessive demand , to stockpile ammo that is not selling. Year out from the 2020 election and rhetoric is heating up. The left hates guns the dumb ideological turds think guns kill people , never ever forget this. The rest of us exist in reality and understand that a gun is a tool that takes a human being to operate a gun to kill people. You have to hold that person responsible not the tool. Simple really. We watched a whole spring and summer of violent protests, looting, arson , vandalism , robbery and burglary by leftist organizations while the LEO types stood around with their thumbs up their ass as they were ordered to do so by their leftist politicians. Seeing all this every nite on the news makes everyone with half an ounce of sense very nervous. So they go and buy some ammo for the 22 or the 12 ga. A lot of people pull their head out and buy their first gun for protection. Watching some bunch of ass clowns burn down their house or business is not going to happen on their watch. They buy ammo to learn how to shoot or "just in case". 8-9 million new owners of firearms and an increasing amount of more firearms by people who are allready firearms owners because of the political unrest caused by the left. All of a sudden in the time span of 6-8 months people who sell ammo and guns have it flying off the shelf and wholesalers with their hands in the air saying we don t know when will get more. Ammo manufacturers turning up the pace of production but facing key component shortages that slow or stop product lines. The manufacturers are working to pump out the product as fast as they can (they like making money) just like the rest of us do. In business you take care of back orders first on the catch up game. When a lot of us see oddball low demand cartridges on dealer shelves it's that they were availible and ammo dealers will sell whatever they can get
Some cartridges are low demand and they only make them once or twice a year or every 2 years. Remington runs off 300 Savage and 35 Remington just passed thru here in the last 3 weeks if you didn t get any your fugged to scalper prices. The government has big orders with manufacturers for 5.56, 7.62, and pistol rds. Government orders needed or not allways take precedence over sporting ammo. This reduces the amount of production for civilian use. Then there is old guys like me retired on fixed income who all of a sudden see a chance to buy low, sell high and make some extra cash the IRS don' t get their hands on. Most of you fault them for engaging in a practice as old as prostitution. For trying to meet their anticipated monetary needs. All for ONE reason it 's because you failed to do preplanning to meet your ammo needs and buy the components to keep you shooting or for hunting with your firearms. Your total or partial lack of responsibility to your selves is the fault no matter how you cut it. I've engaged in helping friends and acquaintances in getting the stuff they need to load or ammo to shoot but that doesn't include selling the stuff I have for my own use. So in the nutshell it's really simple if you don t have what you need it's because you failed in your responsibility to keep your self supplied with what you need. The day you can buy what you want, when you want for what you want to pay is GONE long fugging gone
Not just ammo either try to buy some canning lids as well. Magnum_Bob

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Amazing to me how many people complain in the first half of their post but then finish the post with “they did have xyz at a decent price so I went ahead and bought it”

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
On the reloading equipment and components... lots of new people going to reload cuz ammos hard to get. I foresee and not-too-distant future lots of cheap equipment new or Barely Used. Reading some of the stuff or actually a lot of the stuff on the Facebook reloading groups the average IQ of the renew reloader is bumping retard requirement

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ERK
Ok guys I can understand the ammo and components shortage I guess but my nephew bought a 7-08 and is gonna reload. No dies available at that time anywhere he or I looked. You guys trying to say both people who bought a 7-08 bought up all the reloading dies on the internet. Gotta call bs on this and a lot of other things that are out of stock. Edk

No, but the thousands who already have 7-08s and had to scramble for ammo for hunting season might just have decided to become less dependent on factory ammo. Same goes for those who might already be handloading, but never bothered to load 9mm, 7.62x39, or .223 because the cost was so low it wasn't worth their time and effort. I had a Hell of a time assembling the stuff required to load 9s myself, but I got it done, and didn’t pay through the nose for any of it. When my factory ammo is gone, I can fill ‘em back up and keep shooting.

Don’t know if stuff like presses, scales, etc are also in short supply, as I have those and ain’t looking.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two words are really all that are needed to explain the situation: fear and greed. Fear drives the demand, greed takes advantage of it. Until the market gets flooded enough so that the greedies have no customer the crap will continue to stink.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
17 million guns bought in 2020. Each owner buys 40 rounds? That's 680 million rounds.

Production would be simpler if instead of 1,783 different chamberings and bullet weights/styles, they could trim that down just a touch. But nobody would want that.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There are old retired farts with nothing to do standing in every store waiting for something to be put on the shelf so they can scarf it up and resale it toy you at ridiculous prices on gunbroker or at the gun show. Stop buying from these jackholes and there will soon be ammo on the shelves again.

Yep.

And don't forget the people buying bricks of primers because they're "prepared." Yet these are the same guys that haven't fired 1000 rounds total in 20 years....yet now have 10,000 primers in their closet.

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MAC
There are old retired farts with nothing to do standing in every store waiting for something to be put on the shelf so they can scarf it up and resale it toy you at ridiculous prices on gunbroker or at the gun show.

This is exactly what happens here in Amarillo. I talked to the Walmart and the Academy Sports and they said when they get ammo in the same guys are there every time and they snatch it all up and they told they are all old retired guys. I suggested that they stop stocking ammo at the same time and on the same day and stagger it out throughout the week to deprive them of their ability to do that. Fell on deaf ears.

Hey Chief - see you are retired CPO. I agree somewhat about the "old retired guys" but I can say that is not the big issue or at least not the only issue. I'm retired and have never stood in line and seem to be doing ok through all this "ammo/component" shortage. Personally just bought a 25-06 and waiting for it to arrive. Never had a .25 cal anything so started three weeks ago trading - dealing - and in some cases buying ammo and components to load. Yep already had the powder and primers but the point is if someone wants or needs ammo; then spend less time whining and more time hustling what they need. I did and frankly most of what I accumulated for the 25/06 came from this forum. While there are some who have listed items at ridiculous prices, most on here are reasonable and even helpful. I am as understanding and sympathetic as anyone but the reality is a lack of preparation on their part does not create an emergency on my part.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta wonder if people are standing in line to buy whatever they can and relisting it on gun broker...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Our economic model in this country has changed from warehousing to a just in time production model. It works pretty well until there is a sudden surge in demand for an item or series of items.

The great toilet paper shortage of 2020 really baffled me.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Milwroad
So I get hoarding and all that but how are the hoarders getting it? Do you know anyone buying directly from the plants?

Everybody’s looking, so it ALL disappears

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just tell him all the factories ran out of bang and the factory producing the supply of bang is behind in production due to covid.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by Milwroad
So I get hoarding and all that but how are the hoarders getting it? Do you know anyone buying directly from the plants?

Everybody’s looking, so it ALL disappears

It’s like trying to win a radio contest. Everybody is trying to be the fifth caller. Somebody succeeds.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My buddy paid $700 for 1000 rounds of 9mm. He proclaimed what a great deal he got ...🙄 people are already accepting these prices as the new normal

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 87 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.