Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Pic from a couple of years ago. Took the first bird to wander in to the decoys, a little jake. Model 31 from 1936 in 16 ga FULL.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Nice bird, but beautiful old Model 31, what a gem !

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks Vic, I like the old gun quite a lot. I've taken it out for doves and chukar and it is a pleasure to shoot

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Second tom of 2020 for me. Posted before but appropriate for this thread (plus I'm pretty proud of myself, first tom called in and killed by myself grin ) Blaster is a 20ga. JL Galef Companion singleshot, Fiocchi 3" Golden Pheasant 1 1/4oz #6, about 30 yards.

Spotted him the day before following a hen down a power line right of way. Went in and set up, called some and got him gobbling but he wouldn't budge. Went back the next morning, cold called and he gobbled back. Found a better spot to lay up and sent out a few more yelps on my box call. He gobbled right back and was closer, so I yelped a couple more times, getting a gobble back and it was clear he was coming in. A minute or 2 later I see his head coming up the hill looking for the hen and I let him come another 5 yards or so. He stops and starts getting the nervous head weave going so I decide it's now or never, bang, flop! Sometimes it just works out.

Good luck to those getting after them this spring!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember those Companions. Nice snag.

I plan on hitting them hard next month. Am heavily invested in new guns, vest, boots, calls, even pants! Got a bunch of TSS in .410 and 20. Hope they appreciate my commitment.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Looking good ryoushi!

Pappy, post up pics next month of that .410 bird please

Looking forward to the opener!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice Dan. Just sittin here thinkin about a Turkey hunt to Idaho if I don’t get a spring bear tag. Make a shed/Turkey/scoutin trip over to my whitetail spot.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I plan on hitting them hard next month. Am heavily invested in new guns, vest, boots, calls, even pants! Got a bunch of TSS in .410 and 20. Hope they appreciate my commitment.

Thanks! I inherited the Companion from my FIL after he passed. It has become a favorite, especially for high country blue grouse in the alpine.

Originally Posted by Judman
Nice Dan. Just sittin here thinkin about a Turkey hunt to Idaho if I don’t get a spring bear tag. Make a shed/Turkey/scoutin trip over to my whitetail spot.

That would be a fun trip. Some great turkey hunting in Washington too, Jud. One of the few places (maybe the only?) where you can kill 3 different subspecies of turkey in one season.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by longarm
Looking good ryoushi!

Pappy, post up pics next month of that .410 bird please

Looking forward to the opener!

Thanks longarm! This is a great thread, goes to show you don't need a big blaster to kill these birds. I'm likely to miss turkey season this year so am looking forward to seeing success pics from those who get after 'em.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ryoushi

Thanks! I inherited the Companion from my FIL after he passed. It has become a favorite, especially for high country blue grouse in the alpine.

That would be a fun trip. Some great turkey hunting in Washington too, Jud. One of the few places (maybe the only?) where you can kill 3 different subspecies of turkey in one season.

Ya father in law has a chunk of ground up tonasket, gotta buncha birds. Area I go in Idaho is covered up with em too. Just lookin for a excuse to get out camp and kill a bird or 2.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
ryoushi, if you get the time I would happily host you on a local hunt here. PM me for details

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Ya father in law has a chunk of ground up tonasket, gotta buncha birds. Area I go in Idaho is covered up with em too. Just lookin for a excuse to get out camp and kill a bird or 2.

Gotcha. It's unreal how many turkey are out in E WA and N Idaho, a real success story, almost too much so.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by longarm
ryoushi, if you get the time I would happily host you on a local hunt here. PM me for details

Sent!

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey Jud,
Didn't see your response earlier. You know you are always welcome down this way!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Appreciated Dan, I’ll take ya up on it. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Second tom of 2020 for me. Posted before but appropriate for this thread (plus I'm pretty proud of myself, first tom called in and killed by myself grin ) Blaster is a 20ga. JL Galef Companion singleshot, Fiocchi 3" Golden Pheasant 1 1/4oz #6, about 30 yards.

Spotted him the day before following a hen down a power line right of way. Went in and set up, called some and got him gobbling but he wouldn't budge. Went back the next morning, cold called and he gobbled back. Found a better spot to lay up and sent out a few more yelps on my box call. He gobbled right back and was closer, so I yelped a couple more times, getting a gobble back and it was clear he was coming in. A minute or 2 later I see his head coming up the hill looking for the hen and I let him come another 5 yards or so. He stops and starts getting the nervous head weave going so I decide it's now or never, bang, flop! Sometimes it just works out.

Perfect timing. This Saturday I was pattern checking the TC turkey gun, I have a 4x scope on it to zero in on the head a bit better and have killed several birds with it over the years. I must be getting forgetful more so the closer I get to 70, or I just got used to shooting my 28 at quail this year.
I got a "scope bite" on the bridge of my nose. Something I haven't done for over 10 years., musta just got lazy.
Yesterday I finally got around to cleaning my 410 Companion after shooting some wobble trap with it a few weeks ago. Thought to myself as I rubbed the bridge of my nose that I might want to try the 410 this year and chuckled as I put it back in the safe.

After reading this post, I checked and I do have two boxes of Fiocchi GP 3inch on the shelf. Might need to test my "cluckin and puttin" skills this year.
Your post must have been my message from God.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by uncle joe

Perfect timing. This Saturday I was pattern checking the TC turkey gun, I have a 4x scope on it to zero in on the head a bit better and have killed several birds with it over the years. I must be getting forgetful more so the closer I get to 70, or I just got used to shooting my 28 at quail this year.
I got a "scope bite" on the bridge of my nose. Something I haven't done for over 10 years., musta just got lazy.
Yesterday I finally got around to cleaning my 410 Companion after shooting some wobble trap with it a few weeks ago. Thought to myself as I rubbed the bridge of my nose that I might want to try the 410 this year and chuckled as I put it back in the safe.

After reading this post, I checked and I do have two boxes of Fiocchi GP 3inch on the shelf. Might need to test my "cluckin and puttin" skills this year.

(In my best God-like voice) I command thee to go forth and turkey hunt with the Companion! grin

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

(In my best God-like voice) I command thee to go forth and turkey hunt with the Companion! grin

Ain't gotta tell me twice...that's my wife's job.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Looking forward to the grip-n-grin.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

Looking forward to the grip-n-grin.

You guys got me on a roll now. Just ordered some TSS 410's on line for the 410 Companion, and an Optima 2XF choke for my 28 ga A 400 Beretta.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

188 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 44automag, 33 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.