Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I find it interesting how many praise the fit and finish of the Miroku Winchesters. I took delivery of a new M92 .357 two days ago. The fit of wood to metal was better on all three of my Rossi rifles from various years production. And my Chiappa is fitted much, much better. The Winchester's wood is proud at least 1/10 to 1/8" in all areas where wood joins receiver, and all along the tang and grip too. I thought I was buying a premium product. Turns out the fit is about the same as my Remington era Marlin.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by castnblast
I find it interesting how many praise the fit and finish of the Miroku Winchesters. I took delivery of a new M92 .357 two days ago. The fit of wood to metal was better on all three of my Rossi rifles from various years production. And my Chiappa is fitted much, much better. The Winchester's wood is proud at least 1/10 to 1/8" in all areas where wood joins receiver, and all along the tang and grip too. I thought I was buying a premium product. Turns out the fit is about the same as my Remington era Marlin.

I saw a video on You Tube where the presenter did have a Miroku Winchester where the wood was proud of the stock by about 1/16", but certainly not as much as you suggest.
In fact, I have never in 50 years of shooting seen a lever gun with as much proud wood as you suggest.

And, I bought a Miroku Winchester 1873 short rifle with a round barrel and plain walnut stocks about 1 year ago, and the wood fit was about perfect. Also, I have viewed close-up photos of individual serial number Miroku 1873 rifles currently for sale on a web-site and the wood fit was again about perfect.

I suppose that even Miroku can have quality control problems on some runs. I can say however that on my rifle the fit and finish is about the best of any lever action rifle that I own.

The only Rossi that I owned about 18 years ago had good wood to metal fit, but the stock seemed like it had soaked in motor oil as a finish. It literally seeped oil. The rifle itself failed to function out of the box, was stiff to operate, and had button rifling that was so shallow that cast bullets keyholed. Accuracy was nonexistant. After much stoning of parts and reassembly, it worked reasonably well, but not 100%.

My recently purchased Remington Marlins have reasonably good wood to metal fit for the most part, but not perfect. They work well but some needed some minor tuning. Springs tend to be too heavy and the front sights on regular models are crap.

Last edited by saddlegun; 03/30/21.

UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 357Carbine
Bought a Rossi 357 a few months ago. The fit and finish is miles ahead of the old Interarms Rossi. Take a look at a new one, you may be surprised.
Oh, says made in Bainbridge, GA.

I received a Rossi .44/40 24" octagon barrel at my retirement party.

It is wonderful, with no issues. The wood finish will probably change to Tru-oil someday.
Fit, finish is great and I really enjoy it.

The octagon barrel is a little heavier than my 1896 Winchester Model 1892 but nothing to complain about.

I size my cast bullets @ .430 to use in both rifles and life is good.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nothing wrong with Uberti's, I have both

Attached Images
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 33 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,366
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.