Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great, i'm still green to traditional archery too, got my longbow out today, checked brace height and fired about a 3 inch three shot group pretty well centered at 12 yards, if i could rec anything, it'd be shoot, shoot, then shoot some more.

my Toelke Whip longbow slings 656gr cedar shaft arrows with 175gr ACE non vented head at 171 fps with my 31 inch draw, just got a stable of questions answered by member JGray here, i feel better about shooting black bear and big hogs with my setup should the occasion arise this season.

Thanks JGray, and good luck to you Rambler.

Trump Won!
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I only shot in 240's and 250's.
But I started low bale and was running 55 and 57# bows.
Yup, no way I could compete indoors w such a setup.
I didn't care, considered it just strength building and practice for 3D.

Less arrows in 3D wink

And I shot my Blackwidows from the compound stakes.
Me and another guy did (he shot a 65# Palmer w light arrows clocking 235 FPS).
He always won. But I scared him a few times LOL

I just don't play the game, hell never shot a 300 indoors w wheels and release either.
But 82# twin cam w overdraw and single spot, mid 290s was good enough back in the day
( was screwed because I ran a peep and kisser which put me in unlimited ).

3 hrs sleep last night, right shoulder bothers me off and on. Yeah, big # for years........paying the price.

Need to touch up my HS, chipped the paint on a limb tip hunting last yr.
54#, it takes work these days and I gotta ease into it.

Thought about a 48# PSA2........but I just shoot in the yard now, or at my buds house. 1200 for a bow that aint gonna get shot a ton seems silly.
Hell one oops and I may be done w archery.
Samick Discovery and some good limbs seems a bit more $ responsible.

Last edited by hookeye; 03/22/21.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Very nice bow! The same was used by the master himself. But of course made for south paws. I still have my Kodiak Hunter 35# from the 1970s. When you were flood with compound bows an archery store in Germany imported tons of recurve bows from the bear factory in Grailing, MI. Among them Super Kodiak, Super Magnum, Kodiak Hunter, Kodiak Magnum and Bear Victor TD bows.

Elmer Keith
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Check out The Push Center of Knowledge as indicated in a previous post. Their podcasts, videos and training will save you a lot of heartache and pain. I have shot traditional since 1988 and have learned a lot since I started following their podcasts. So much good info out there now. A good light draw weight bow to practice form with will pay great dividends and it does not need to be expensive. Judging by your group you shot with you old Bear you have a great start, enjoy the experience and good luck.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The problem is; You don't know what you don't know.

Compound and stick bows are apples and oranges. The degree of difficulty goes way up with a stick bow.

The key is to develop good alignment, form and a good shot process. Lots of grip and rip trad guys that never develop the above.

Lots of good internet resources; Watch guys like Dwayne Martin, Rod Jenkins, Jimmy Blackmon, Alan Eagleton, John Demmer shoot.

Archery talk has some good stickies.

The Push.

Jake Kaminsky channel.

Get lessons or a mentor. If you have no resources, film yourself shooting and you can self diagnose.

Start light...like 30#. Many trad guys can't feel what good form and good alignment feels like....you can with a light bow.

I like the ILF platform for its versatility.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you ever feel overwhelmed with information, just remember that "people" have been using
them for 40,000 years.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 48 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.