Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lost a highland calf this morning in birth, first lost calf for us. Momma (3y/o healthy heifer) had no chance at delivery, completely shocked at the size of the young bull. He was bigger than our two month old calves running around here.
I tried to pull his carcass with a neighbor but eventually had to choose the grizzly bike, and that was a serious tug.

That stuff isn't normal with highlands, this was our ninth calf and have never seen this.
We got this cow along with a 3 y/o highland bull last Summer from a couple who couldn't care for them due to lack of space. But I'm suspecting that she was bred by an angus or large breed, rather than the highland bull.

My question: Momma was really traumatized, she was shaking, laying on her side for a few hours. She couldn't get her front legs under her and I got a few more neighbors and we got her on her stomach and she responded with a bit of perk. She's having a really hard time standing; her back legs are weak. We finally got her standing up after about 11 hours after the calf pull, and she stood there with our guidance for about ten minutes. She finally went back down.

She's laying and eating and drinking at this point--perked up, but those back legs look weak. I'm hopeful she makes the night okay out there.

Have any of you cow guys dealt with this? Thoughts? Experienced only please...

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a cattle guy and can't help that way.

But I do wish the best for your animal and the humans involved.

Good luck with it all.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm no cow guy. But that sounds like a real hard pull. I'm wondering if her pelvis is broken? Hope not.

Sorry you lost the calf. Hope that mom makes it.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like she might be a little spraddle legged, it happens. She's in shock and rightfully so, she's been through a lot. Keep a bucket of water near by and maybe a touch of food, she'll come around. Sorry for the loss, it's always a bummer

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A hard birth like that can lead to some paralyses in her back legs. Hopefully tomorrow she'll be getting some control of her legs and want to get up. A vet can give her something to reduce swelling and inflammation. Keep her laying upright, prop her up with a bale or something. Keep us updated on her situation.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A hard birth like that can lead to some paralyses in her back legs. Hopefully tomorrow she'll be getting some control of her legs and want to get up. A vet can give her something to reduce swelling and inflammation. Keep her laying upright, prop her up with a bale or something. Keep us updated on her situation.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks, guys.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
maybe get vet out tomorrow for a dexamethasone shot to help with the swelling . AS mentioned a bale or two, water to keep her upright on her stomach

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve seen this several times a year growing up on a dairy farm. It was usually with first calf heifers and bull calves. Some bulls produce larger offspring and recovery is iffy. Best to keep her up and on her feet as much as possible. If she lays to much, I’d be surprised if she recovers. Not sure what a vet will do other than give you a large bill.

Cows are tough though and I wish the best for you.

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks fellas, you guys sound spot on with the scenario and your theories....I appreciate the advice in dealing with it.
I did have some bales along her sides today until she got control of her balance while laying.

I'll pop them beside her again for the night.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Big bull, your cow needs to go to the sale barn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have had similar issues over the years. A pull can be extremely taxing on the heifer and time will tell you what you get. You are doing all the right things with getting her water and food but don't try to get her to do something she doesn't want to do. If she won't stand don't make her. If she stands but lays back down let her. Good idea to do what you did with the bales to give her some support. A heifer can have a uterine prolapse up to a week after a tough calving, although it usually happens within a couple of days. Check for that daily. If you have never sewn one up call the vet. If she isn't up in a couple of days I would call the vet to take a look at her.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If she gets up tomorrow try to keep her in a pen with good footing for awhile. If she doesn't get up you should work out a plan to get her up using a hip lift with a loader for a while every day until she can get up on her own. Often when a cow realizes she can't get up she tries to quit. Don't let her. She's got the advantage of being a young animal she can recover from this.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As others as said. She should be ok.
Keep water available. Consult a vet
If possible.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
She might get up if she is watered and fed. For future reference you can get a calf puller which you can brace against her hind legs and start winching the calf out if he's loaded properly with nose and front hooves coming. The device is a few feet long so once you get him started you can leverage down against the cow's hind legs and the calf pulls out in a more natural downward slant lessening the chance of injury to the cow. Valleyvet.com or medical-tools.com might have what you need. Just get it out and make sure you know how to use it before you need it.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In addition to all the other advice above, I would be, or having someone be standing coyote over-watch all night. If she can get up
she is sitting prey, be a damn shame to loose her to a yote.
Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
was that her first calf ? any idea if she went over term?

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hate to say it but seems like more often than not when they don’t/can’t get up for more than a few hours...they never do.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Stay with her all night . Then you'll know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hoping the best for her, poor girl.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,837
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.