Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Local GS has one on the shelf. Really nice. Any of you guys have experience with one. The good or bad. Share your thoughts.
Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have two Ridgeline models and they have made me put everything else on the shelf.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have a Mesa. Very nice rifle. Good price point also. Like taking mine out to shoot.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not a fan at all of Christensen.........but if it floats your boat go for it

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My ridgeline is great and has become about the only rifle I grab anymore. It's maybe not the prettiest, but is functional and accurate. No kick even for an evil 30 caliber. The 4 others I know who have them operate the same way. I know one guides ridgeline that has seen more elk shot with it than most rifles in America have shot big game.

Don't hesitate.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Ridgeline 6.5 is extremely accurate. It is taking time for me to get use to shooting a rifle that light though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Mesa 6.5 PRC had to go back to the factory for ejector issues. They turned it around and got it back to me immediately. I haven't shot it a lot, but it gives easy MOA with factory fodder.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do not own one yet but will.

A friend has three Ridgeline's that I have mounted scopes on and sighted in for him. All were solid shooters from the bench. A 30-06, .300 WSM, and a .450 Bushmaster. I was pleased with them all but the .450 BM with 20" barrel was my favorite. It handled like a dream and with a .45 can was very sweet. I would like one with a low power variable for hunting thick woods. Anyway, I have been looking at the titanium models, as they just look great but have yet to pull the trigger/wallet on one. I like the 7mm-08 and 280 AI too.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Have two Ridgeline. Very good rifles for the money. Not custom but a cut above the rest in terms of good triggers and features. Bought one new and one used. Both seem to be accurate. I followed break in process for new. Ended up getting different stocks for 2 as wanted a little more customization. I have two other rifles that wear Christensen barrels. Both 308. Super accurate too for a ar10 and short barrel bolt gun.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mesa CM. Approaching 400 rounds thru it. No drama. Kills stuff good. Happy camper.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Ridgeline 6.5 PRC It's great shooting rifle, works great too..

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a Mesa in 300 Win Mag that also had ejector issues. CA sent me the parts and it fixed the issue. I still haven’t fired it. Could be persuaded to let it go....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always encouraged people considering a Mesa to handle one first. While the specs show it to have a normal LOP, it feels different in the hand. The wrist is slim, and I was aware of that, but there was something different yet. Yesterday I realized what it is. Look at the pistol grip position of these various stocks. It sits further back on the Mesa making it feel like a shorter LOP, but from butt pad to trigger is pretty much the same as the others.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I had a Mesa 7-08. Would not feed from magazine. Sent it back. So so accuracy. My savages, remingtons, and rugers all out shot it. Got rid of it.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
On average, how would y'all say the F&F on a new Mesa compares with a new M70 FWT? All three of my FWTs (Portugal models) have been excellent in that department and all shoot MOA or better with factory ammo. (Just starting to tinker with loads for the 280. Have components but not messing with the 708. And haven't messed with loads for the 6.5 at all.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
On average, how would y'all say the F&F on a new Mesa compares with a new M70 FWT? All three of my FWTs (Portugal models) have been excellent in that department and all shoot MOA or better with factory ammo. (Just starting to tinker with loads for the 280. Have components but not messing with the 708. And haven't messed with loads for the 6.5 at all.)

Fit and finish. I am an odd sort in that I have a problem with the way those words are coupled into something that so many people have a difficult time explaining. It is often used when discussing boats. People will say the fit and finish is bad. When I ask what didn't fit, I rarely get an answer. Or what wasn't finished or finished poorly...

That aside, fit is somewhat less subjective with guns. The fit of the Mesa is good. The barrel is floated, and the channel evenly spaced on both sides of the barrel. The rest of the stock to metal fit is as it should be. The recoil pad fits precisely. The metal to metal fit is as it should be. It is finished as it is finished. Mine is is tungsten with a black stock with gray splatter. It would be hard to compare the finish with a FWT, because they are finished very differently.

I think sometimes "fit and finish" is used to describe what is really a subjective feel of quality. In that respect, they both feel like quality pieces.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Fit and finish. I am an odd sort in that I have a problem with the way those words are coupled into something that so many people have a difficult time explaining. It is often used when discussing boats. People will say the fit and finish is bad. When I ask what didn't fit, I rarely get an answer. Or what wasn't finished or finished poorly...

That aside, fit is somewhat less subjective with guns. The fit of the Mesa is good. The barrel is floated, and the channel evenly spaced on both sides of the barrel. The rest of the stock to metal fit is as it should be. The recoil pad fits precisely. The metal to metal fit is as it should be. It is finished as it is finished. Mine is is tungsten with a black stock with gray splatter. It would be hard to compare the finish with a FWT, because they are finished very differently.

I think sometimes "fit and finish" is used to describe what is really a subjective feel of quality. In that respect, they both feel like quality pieces.

Fair point, Paul. When I say F&F I literally mean fit of components to stock, finish quality of metal, finish quality of stock, etc. So the walnut to composite isn't a direct comparison, but those "finishing touches" do add up to overall quality beyond basic functionality. So I think we're fully capable of at least ranking or tiering models based on that definition.

That said, asked a different way, for a rifle that didn't need to suit a specific purpose (rough use, wet climate, etc.) is a Mesa really worth $300-400 more than a brand new FWT?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Fair point, Paul. When I say F&F I literally mean fit of components to stock, finish quality of metal, finish quality of stock, etc. So the walnut to composite isn't a direct comparison, but those "finishing touches" do add up to overall quality beyond basic functionality. So I think we're fully capable of at least ranking or tiering models based on that definition.

That said, asked a different way, for a rifle that didn't need to suit a specific purpose (rough use, wet climate, etc.) is a Mesa really worth $300-400 more than a brand new FWT?

I recently purchased the Mesa and an M70 Ultimate Shadow SS. I paid $1199 for the Mesa. Like Paul said, everything looks great and its SS with cerakote. The M70 cost me $749 and it came with a pretty goofy plastic stock. Add $285 for a B&C stock and we are at $1034. If I were to get it cerakoted to make it more apples to apples, I’d be up near $1300 probably. Even though the Mesa has a TriggerTech trigger, the M70 trigger is good enough that I’m leaving it alone.

So, that’s pretty close in price. The question then is which one shoots and feeds better, and I can’t say since the Mesa still hasn’t been fired. The M70 shoots great. I can say without a doubt the M70 feeds better, even after I fixed the issues I was having with the Mesa. The M70 feeds real smooth from the magazine and it ejects as strongly as you run the bolt. The Mesa kinda just flips them out weakly.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It always strikes me as unbelievable that folks selling a $1200-1300 rifle turn them out not feeding or ejecting properly. If a $300 Savage can do it...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The short answer is, no. Not in my opinion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

640 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 68 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,917
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.