Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We took Quaker instant grits on a fly in trip last year. Regular or butter flavor only, please. Easily better than instant oatmeal, which I find quite disgusting. I add brown sugar and like them ok. Steel cut oats if I’m home, but ease of preparation trumped taste on this trip. I know nobody asked, but instant mashed potatoes with precooked bacon pieces were pretty good too.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Instant grits are like instant oatmeal......merely something to fill the guts in a hurry. I like regular grits with cheese/jalepeno/bacon.

Yup.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by WMR
We took Quaker instant grits on a fly in trip last year. Regular or butter flavor only, please. Easily better than instant oatmeal, which I find quite disgusting. I add brown sugar and like them ok. Steel cut oats if I’m home, but ease of preparation trumped taste on this trip. I know nobody asked, but instant mashed potatoes with precooked bacon pieces were pretty good too.

Actually, instant mashed potatoes are one "instant' that's not too bad. We use the instant mashed potato flakes to bread chicken and fish for deep frying. It works out pretty well.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
kragman, the little splash of milk makes grits a lot creamier and less clumpy. Smooths them out, in other words. Doesn't take much.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm really liking cheese grits. A bit of American for creaminess with sharp cheddar for bigger flavor. Haven't gotten too much garlic salt in them yet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rem141r
do grits ever taste like anything besides what you put on them?

Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My grits "musts" include:

Salted water
A small splash of milk added towards the end of the simmer stage
Tiny pinch of powdered garlic
Black pepper
Butter if to be eaten as is, or...
Stir in crumbled bacon or cubed ham, and some cheese like cheddar or jack.
For a bit of color, add diced chives or dried parsley, but that's only if you feel fancy today.

Plop a sunny up egg on top and dig in.

Yum.
But I go for the egg poached..
Canned parmesan is ok in a pinch..
diced pepperoni if you don't feel like cooking bacon.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Poached, shirred, or fried are all fine. (Now you have to look up shirred, don't you? Ha!)

We have shirred eggs for brunch sometimes. Wonderful.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You gotta make sure they aren't too dry. And the salt amount must be perfect for your taste, and black pepper also.

Texas Pete hot sauce and butter is a staple addition for me and many others around here.

Try grits beside a rare grilled rib-eye or T-bone. I think it's called the Truckers supper. It's delicious!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do the milk thing to, Rocky. Cook them in salted water and finish with a splash of milk before serving. Butter, S&P.

I just finished breakfast of grits, country ham, and eggs. Out Damn Standing.

The ham deserves its own thread, but if you ever get the opportunity to eat some ham or bacon from Benton's in Madisonville TN, you should.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by rem141r
do grits ever taste like anything besides what you put on them?

IME. no

The same thing could be said of potatoes or rice. The fact of the matter is, all these foods have very slight and subtle character of their own. This is especially going to be lost on people who have destroyed their sense of taste/smell by years of smoking. They really need to stick to strong flavored foods to enjoy what they eat. Another aspect of this attitude is, maybe those people haven't had good grits (or rice or potatoes.) If all one has ever had is is Quaker hominy grits, or Idaho white potatoes or one of the genetically developed, high-yield rices made to optimize production for poor, third-world countries it's a reasonable attitude. On the other hand, a good russet potato, properly baked, a good basmati rice, cooked right or some good yellow corn grits can stand on their own on the plate with maybe just a pat of butter or the juices running from the other foods to enhance them.

Well said!

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've long thought that any man that has to eat instant grits has a time management problem. It doesn't take much longer to make real grits.

μολὼν λαβέ
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
I've long thought that any man that has to eat instant grits has a time management problem. It doesn't take much longer to make real grits.

That's probably true. And I probably do, but I only tried them to see if they were OK. Turns out that they suck, so never again unless there's some dire need.

Looks Like my grit eating days are weekends only. Or those days that I make breakfast for dinner.

Last edited by kragman1; 03/06/21.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I fixed my own instant grits before school 1st and 2nd grade and heading out walking thru the hood.

I didnt have a Betty Crocker mama with a cracker barrel type breakfast with uncle pete sopping black strap molasses. lol

I had to bounce

I’m not a food critic with worldly experience as it pertains to grits. Food in-food out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Poached, shirred, or fried are all fine. (Now you have to look up shirred, don't you? Ha!)

We have shirred eggs for brunch sometimes. Wonderful.

I do..
Hmm
Ahh I have had those...
The fancy version of egg in a hole..

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 03/06/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I like Quaker instant grits with butter, salt and pepper just fine. Never made real ones so maybe I'm missing something.

Pioneer peppered gravy over biscuits is as good as any gravy I have had.

We have stopped using a percolator for coffee. Wife likes Tasters Choice 100% Columbian better. Nescafe decaf is pretty good too.

Idahoan Baby Reds instant potatoes are just as good as scratch to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the instant grits to kill ants. Apparently they take the particles back to the nest, then when they eat them the grits expand & kill the ants. It seemed to be working pretty well at the last house,. Haven't needed them here yet.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by cra1948

Our favorite here at home is Geechie Boy yellow corn grits, milled right down the road on Edisto Island.

cra1948 is on point. To get get real, " smack yo' Momma" grits you have to buy from a mill that's local and makes their products with love and care, We are also fortunate to have a grain mill nearby (Lakeside Mills) that makes a variety of milled grain products - - online store too!

Try them in meat loaf mix instead of Panko, bread or cracker crumbs..

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Instant grits are pretty good with coarse ground black pepper, pepper jack cheese, and a generous dose of Tabasco Chipotle. Optional green chiles on top of all that makes it even tastier. I couldn't imagine eating grits as just grits. No one's that hungry.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I like grits. I fix instant grits every Monday with country ham and eggs. I put a large dollup of butter and several dashes of hot sauce in the grits. I really like redeye gravy in grits.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.