-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone use any of the upper end Arc Teryx jackets as their primary outer layer? I'm not talking the $800-$1000 LEAF jackets. Something like the Atom AR, Kappa Hoody.

In the past 4-5 years, I've found I get cold sitting for more than an hour using my current system (Jetstream and Kelvin Lite hoody). I'm on the search for more insulation in my puffy/outer. I have a Kelvin Down Hoody but I feel like the Staypuff marshmallow guy in it. Plus it has several tenacious tape patches, so a bit more substantial shell material - that is still relatively quiet. The new Kelvin Lite Down Hoody is supposedly between the Kelvin Lite and Kelvin Down Hoody in warmth but seems to have the same shell material that will end up with Tenacious tape camouflage patterns.

Any other ideas with 120-175 grams of insulation is what I'm looking for. A jacket/coat without a hood is worthless to me. I like hoods - they are warmer and provide wind protection on your neck.

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'll do the Cap'n obvious part up front.

If your puffy is being compressed at all either by being at all snug itself, or being squished under your outer layer, you're defeating it's purpose. A shell over a puffy needs to be LOOSE or you're losing insulating properties.

Dead-air space is your friend.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So I use the Atom LT most days in fall and winter for work with no hood and have for about two years now. I’ve been looking for one of their blaze orange Atom LT, AR or SL for years but never found one on the used market at a price I like since they stopped making that color. The LT is not warm enough in real cold weather without additional layers, but pretty good when active in the cold or stationary in mild weather.
I do own an equivalent jacket that I use for hunting, a Black Diamond Access Hybrid. It’s a similar concept with Pertex Quantum shell, Primaloft Silver insulation, stretch side, and DWR coating.
This model is discontinued but Black Diamond makes similar stuff still. But you don’t see much in olive green anymore.

It layers easily and packs down to almost nothing. I wear that jacket as my main jacket and will put on a Kuiu down jacket over it when cold. Will also wear silk thermals underneath and synthetic shirts. I don’t tend to wear a particularly heavy shirt.

I do like some Arcteryx stuff and have an orange vest from them that is basically weightless

Last edited by exbiologist; 03/06/21.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have various hoodies including an Arc Teryx. If I am moving, they all work fine. Not moving and perhaps not optima. Starting using a quarter zip Kifaru Lost Park Parka last fall. It for me worked amazingly well. Looking forward to some tree stand sits in for deer this coming fall. I'd check those out. And the price point is very good on those for USA made.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 30338
I have various hoodies including an Arc Teryx. If I am moving, they all work fine. Not moving and perhaps not optima. Starting using a quarter zip Kifaru Lost Park Parka last fall. It for me worked amazingly well. Looking forward to some tree stand sits in for deer this coming fall. I'd check those out. And the price point is very good on those for USA made.

This^

Have an atom LT that is a daily use item during Fall/Early Spring but def not sufficient for true cold inactivity. The Lost Parka that I have is a pull over version and other than its somewhat awkward and boxy cut its much warmer than I’d have expected. The rhino skin is noisy tho so it’s a jacket I mostly glass in and remove when I go mobile. Combat Climashield is wild the way it gets rid of moisture - really surprising benefit to such an insulating layer

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every single time I've gone into a store with the intention of buying any of the AR jackets, I've walked out empty handed.

Several reasons, price, value, fit, and warmth.

Their just not for me,

Warmth while stationary? Keep looking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Another completely Chinese-owned company.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
I'll do the Cap'n obvious part up front.

If your puffy is being compressed at all either by being at all snug itself, or being squished under your outer layer, you're defeating it's purpose. A shell over a puffy needs to be LOOSE or you're losing insulating properties.

Dead-air space is your friend.

Yep. Nothing is tight and puffy is fully puffed. wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have an Atom LT I wear for a 'winter' jacket in TN. I really like it but it isnt a cold weather item, especially stationary.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m just happy that garments are fully puffed. I mean who doesn’t like puffy, puffys?

*I’ll add my edit to say that ArcTeryx offers the highest quality gear that maintains a degree of elegance & toughness. I run Kuiu & Kifaru and despite their price still could take a few lessons from ArcTeryx on fabric & stitching choices. Maybe I’m biased. Yes, I’m biased.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 03/06/21.
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I treat the Atom LT more like my insulated mid-layer. If it’s real cold, stopping to glass, I add a Kifaru LPP over the Atom. I’ve never been cold with that combo.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.