Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So...maybe the forum should be LONG RANGE SHOOTING!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

No, long range shooting is when you're aiming at targets.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

No, long range shooting is when you're aiming at targets.

Ahhh we finally agree... 😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

yes it should be called long range target shooting

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53

Or we could call it "Long Range Hunting". And those who are not interested in long range hunting could go to another heading.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman

Or we could call it "Long Range Hunting". And those who are not interested in long range hunting could go to another heading.

Ringman, that's revolutionary thinking!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Send it!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always find it funny that we continue to have this argument about long range hunting on a forum called Long Range Hunting......

Most true long range hunters have put in their time , money, and effort to get proficient at their skills but there will always be a few guys who bought the latest and greatest long range rifle and shoot a box of ammo a year and consider themselves ready for anything within sight. The simple fact is there are always going to be those guys out there just as well as there are going to be lots of guys like I have experienced who couldn't hit a deer at 50 yards that is standing still in front of them.... fighting each other on a forum like this where you know most of the responders are serious hunters who spend more time than most practicing their craft is nonsensical at best- but at least it is entertaining....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by mod7rem
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Long range hunting isn't anymore risky than archery.... funny part is archery hunters are revered in some circles as "real" hunters.

I understand and agree with what you’re saying in regards to the risk of a clean kill vs wounding, but you have to admit that there is big difference in the amount of “hunting” required to get into a shot position with a bow vs a long range shot with a rifle.

It depends on how you define "hunting". I think of hunting as the pursuit and endeavor to seek out and kill something. Hunting can require several different skill sets. If you're stand hunting, then patience, holding still, and marksmanship are paramount. If you're still hunting, spot-and-stalk hunting, etc, then stalking may be a major skill set required, in addition to marksmanship. If you're calling, baiting, or driving, then stalking isn't all that important. If you were to use a knife or spear, shooting skill wouldn't be required at all. Yet all of these are different styles of hunting. Essentially, I think a lot of times people on this forum conflate stalking with "hunting". I would agree that LR hunting requires less stalking skill than SR hunting does. But it requires more shooting skill. Some guys enjoy hunting that involves more stalking, and other guys like hunting that involves more shooting. Both are hunting in my book.

I agree. It would also be damn monotonous to do it just one way all the time. It also all boils down to knowing ones own capabilities. Only take the shots YOU are comfortable with. Thats it in a nutshell. 1 shot 1 kill. I dont believe in rodeos.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I am troubled by the mere fact that I agree with RM on this.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I'd trust X percent of 700+ yard shooters to make a responsible shot that they're comfortable with, way more than X+ percent of regular Joes to make a responsible 200 yard shot. This includes a damn lot of folks on this site.

Call it shooting if you'd like, vs hunting. I don't have an issue with that but it isn't 100% irresponsible to take those longer shots.

I used to spend a lot of time at the range. In the few weeks before deer season there would be dozens of hunters out there that couldn't even get their own rifles on paper. I spent a lot of time helping them sight in their rifles and saw all kinds of crazy crap. Once sighted in many could still not hit the target at 100. I know several shooters I'd trust to make a 1000 yard shot before I'd trust these average guys to make a 100 yard shot.

Most long range hunters use softer high bc bullets. The bullets actually perform quite well at lower velocities and leave large wounds. I've seen game drop like lightning when hit with a 140 vldh 6.5mm bullet. The 215 Berger Hybrid target 308 bullet dropped my bull elk 3 years ago instantly. I've shot elk with accubonds and other bullets but never had one smacked instantly to the ground like that 215 Berger did. Even the 6mm 105 vldh does a quick number on deer. I've also used the 208 amax 308 bullet for a lightning kill and had good luck at range with the 7mm 162 amax. Last year it was a 108 eldm in a 6 Creedmoor that dropped my buck at around 450 yards.

Bb

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We rode mules, got up close and personal with the elk. I like to eat a two or three year old dry cow, used a 243 Winchester with a 100g Partition, and the combo never failed as shots were within 75-100 yards. I placed my shot, or did not fire. I think that an 85g Barnes tsx would have done just as well.

Stuff is not hard to kill, practice and be competent with your equipment, have the tools to judge ballistics with atmospherics. If you have a hunting/shooting partner, take careful notice if he slaps the trigger or raises his head up off the gun at the report. Ask him where the cross hair was as the gun fired, if he has no idea, then he will not be a candidate for long range shooting as he will soon demonstrate.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Long range hunting isn't anymore risky than archery.... funny part is archery hunters are revered in some circles as "real" hunters.

I understand and agree with what you’re saying in regards to the risk of a clean kill vs wounding, but you have to admit that there is big difference in the amount of “hunting” required to get into a shot position with a bow vs a long range shot with a rifle.

It depends on how you define "hunting". I think of hunting as the pursuit and endeavor to seek out and kill something. Hunting can require several different skill sets. If you're stand hunting, then patience, holding still, and marksmanship are paramount. If you're still hunting, spot-and-stalk hunting, etc, then stalking may be a major skill set required, in addition to marksmanship. If you're calling, baiting, or driving, then stalking isn't all that important. If you were to use a knife or spear, shooting skill wouldn't be required at all. Yet all of these are different styles of hunting. Essentially, I think a lot of times people on this forum conflate stalking with "hunting". I would agree that LR hunting requires less stalking skill than SR hunting does. But it requires more shooting skill. Some guys enjoy hunting that involves more stalking, and other guys like hunting that involves more shooting. Both are hunting in my book.

Sorry for the late response to this, but you’re right of course. I guess I’m looking at it from my own experiences and right or wrong, thinking of it as a difference in shot opportunities. Shot opportunities being easier to create with a rifle than a bow.
One example, I’ve been hunting Stone sheep yearly for almost 20 years and although most of the rams killed have been 200yds or less, there’s been a couple just over 400yds. If I had been taking shots at anything within 900yds instead of trying to close the distance, my shot opportunities would have been much higher over the years. The opposite would be if I was using a bow, then my shot opportunities would have been drastically lower. The same would apply to pretty much all the big game hunting I do, even sitting over a call or bait. An animal holding up outside of bow range is still within easy rifle distance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sorry for the late response to this, but you’re right of course. I guess I’m looking at it from my own experiences and right or wrong, thinking of it as a difference in shot opportunities. Shot opportunities being easier to create with a rifle than a bow.
One example, I’ve been hunting Stone sheep yearly for almost 20 years and although most of the rams killed have been 200yds or less, there’s been a couple just over 400yds. If I had been taking shots at anything within 900yds instead of trying to close the distance, my shot opportunities would have been much higher over the years. The opposite would be if I was using a bow, then my shot opportunities would have been drastically lower. The same would apply to pretty much all the big game hunting I do, even sitting over a call or bait. An animal holding up outside of bow range is still within easy rifle distance.

That's definitely true. I suppose some guys want to maximize the number of opportunities and they practice/train accordingly, while others purposefully make hunting more challenging by using tools that limit opportunities (archery) like you mentioned. Depends on our reasons for hunting. Are we hunting for the meat/kill, or are we doing it for the challenge and the experience more than the meat/kill? Different people have different motivations for hunting, but in all cases it's still called hunting, in my book.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I prefer to get to 20 yards, but there are times where 200 is not possible and other times when 500 is not possible... goat hunting comes to mind... either you are equipped, practiced and confident or you go home empty handed... nothing wrong with ending with an empty hand, but nothing wrong with being prepared and getting it done either.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Damn forum has always been named wrong!

Should have been Long Range Shooting!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I am troubled by the mere fact that I agree with RM on this.

I would have bet you two were related!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hoytcanon
I prefer to get to 20 yards, but there are times where 200 is not possible and other times when 500 is not possible... goat hunting comes to mind... either you are equipped, practiced and confident or you go home empty handed... nothing wrong with ending with an empty hand, but nothing wrong with being prepared and getting it done either.

Well said....

[/S] For further consideration... [/SARC] What type of scumbag fakes an identity to be a part of a community they've been told their not welcome at? Larry Root, ScottDick, FredDoosh.. What a crew of pathetic bastids - to be banned from the only site on the internet that is pretty much a free-for-all.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Killing game at long distances and having to dope the wind doesn't add up to clean consistent kills. The type of terrain, wind direction, speed and consistency can and will push your point of impact all over the place.

Life is good live it while you can.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
728 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.