Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bobski Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
lets talk new stupid laws.
basically, there are no more face to face private transfers of guns as of last june.
fine.
now, in order for me to buy a gun from someone else in va....whats the next step?
im being told that gun dealers cant even do private transfers unless their business is on an authorized state police list of dealers.

who has that list?
getting thru to state police is impossible. (mailbox full) then a hang up.
anyone hear have a link or would cut/paste it here or pm it to me?
lmk

next...set for june 2021, state police require people to submit for a state background check thru them (before) approaching a dealer to do a transfer? true false?

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I recently sold a rifle to another VA resident. We went to a gun shop that I have had many transfers done before. They simply logged the rifle in their A&D book coming from me, then the buyer filled out the normal paperwork and the transfer was done. I think any FFL holder can do this, it's nothing special.

As for your last question, the background check goes through the state police, never heard of pre-applying.

bobski Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I tried to do that, but the dealers i used for years, told me that only a dealer from the authorized list can do it now.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Wife just told me this morning she has to have her kayak registered to kayak on a county lake

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yeah & wishing I'd gone to Tennessee or WV instead for this last move. The stupidity in Richmond just keeps on rollin'.

Hadn't heard about the pre-approval thing yet. I wonder if a CCW permit counts as pre-approval?

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What part of VA are you in? There's a guy here in Chesterfield, Sonny's Transfers that can handle your transaction and I'm pretty sure it only costs $17.

I've been here my whole life and have watched things slowly change to what we have now, it sure ain't what it used to be. I'm about ready for a change.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The stupidity in Richmond just keeps on rollin'.

Ain't that the truth...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brother-in-law is in the Navy stationed in VA. He was just told yesterday that they are no longer allowed to own or possess a firearm on or off base even in civilian housing that they use the BAQ for!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
bobski Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
guy I want to buy the gun from lives in midlohtian, I live in Suffolk.
we are both private sellers/buyers.
he wants to charge me 50 bucks to ship it 60 miles to bobs gun and tackle in Norfolk, where they will charge me 17.00 for a transfer, then 35 for a background.
we are trying to save shipping crap and do it up near him.
I just called moates, he doesn't do p-t-p transfers. and get this........either does GREENTOP!
how far is sonnys from Midlothian?
got a phone and email? directions?

bobski Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
fyi, odds are, this will be the last gun deal in state i'll be doing. been here since 85. time to move.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like infringement to me.

Any dealer should be allowed to do that transfer.

LOL
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sounds like infringement to me.

Any dealer should be allowed to do that transfer.

ALMOST LIKE... any citizen should be allowed to pump their own gas?

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bobski
he wants to charge me 50 bucks to ship it 60 miles to bobs gun and tackle in Norfolk, where they will charge me 17.00 for a transfer, then 35 for a background.
I just called moates, he doesn't do p-t-p transfers. and get this........either does GREENTOP!

Sonnys Guns and Transfers

Sonny does a lot of transfers at his house. He doesn’t have a very bubbly personality but the price is right and in a good spot for you. Depending on which part of Midlothian, he’s probably around 15minutes or less away. Also, Sonny’s is between you and Midlothian so that should help you a little.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bobski

It’s been a long time since I was in Bobs. Good memories when they handled the higher end stuff. My USA made 10X suit came from that store along with a Remington 700 BDL Classic in 7mm mag. COuldn’t afford anything there until I got my divorce.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Is it not possible to pick a spot some where in the middle and just meet him?

Va Beach is no better for stupid,my son has not lived there in over 3 years and they still send stuff trying to get him to pay for the privilege of having a ride in VA.

bobski Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
hey texas...you didn't get the memo. va doesn't allow face to face anymore as of last summer.
I have a call into sonnys.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
“im being told that gun dealers cant even do private transfers unless their business is on an authorized state police list of dealers.”

Huh? Never heard of this. Some dealers don’t do transfers, whether private or if you want to buy something and have it shipped to the store.

So you’re saying there’s an additional stipulation from the State Police for private sellers?

bobski Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
yup.........

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by smokinggun
What part of VA are you in? There's a guy here in Chesterfield, Sonny's Transfers that can handle your transaction and I'm pretty sure it only costs $17.

I've been here my whole life and have watched things slowly change to what we have now, it sure ain't what it used to be. I'm about ready for a change.

This^^^^^
No idea of how to help the OP[other than the fact that my LGS can do them but I'm in western VA].

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MPat70
Brother-in-law is in the Navy stationed in VA. He was just told yesterday that they are no longer allowed to own or possess a firearm on or off base even in civilian housing that they use the BAQ for!!!

No chance. Someone is misinterpreting or taking liberties with a regulation (not surprised these days). On base housing they can regulate but zero legal standing off base and a JAG will jerk them back into alignment quickly.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.