24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
first time Ive ever said a prayer for a cow.

.... like tears in the rain
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As long as the cow us trying you need to be doing your part. You'll see it in her eyes when it's time to call it off.

Life is good live it while you can.
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guys, I lost her. She slipped back into shock, weak, completely exhausted and started shutting down. The hard weather -- rain and wind today didn't help. True Grit, she gave me that look. frown
Butcher just left here with her.
It's a kick in the nuts after trying like hell to save her over the last 36 hours.

Thanks for the thoughts and insights here, it's all very appreciated. I've learned a ton going forward.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to hear.

We care a lot for our livestock, and it hurts my heart to lose one.

Imagine you are the same.

I know better, but I always feel like I failed them somehow, when I lose one. Reckon if I lose that compassion, I'll quit ranching.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Sorry to hear.

We care a lot for our livestock, and it hurts my heart to lose one.

Imagine you are the same.

I know better, but I always feel like I failed them somehow, when I lose one. Reckon if I lose that compassion, I'll quit ranching.

Yep, you said it friend. I feel like I let her down or failed her, dammit. We care greatly for our highlands.

We butcher our steers etc, and keep things in perspective, but losing one like this just stings like hell, she was a sweet cow.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Be danged.

I did not see that coming.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Me either.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by broomd
Guys, I lost her. She slipped back into shock, weak, completely exhausted and started shutting down. The hard weather -- rain and wind today didn't help. True Grit, she gave me that look. frown
It's a kick in the nuts after trying like hell to save her over the last 36 hours.

Thanks for the thoughts and insights here, it's all very appreciated. I've learned a ton going forward.

Thats too bad !

Thought she would make it

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Damnit I hate to hear that. Hopefully she'll be alright to eat, the one we tried eating under the same scenario had an off taste for some reason. Next time you have to pull a calf make sure you pull down and try to pull when she's trying to push.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear this one. I love them little highlands.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have heard it said, "If you can keep it outside". No good losing livestock, worse yet when it's family.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by broomd

Sounds like you gave it a hell of an effort. Really nothing more you could do. I feel for ya.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had cattle many years. It's always tough but a very elderly lady told me many years ago, " if you don't have 'em you can't loose 'em". It's part of the game but dang it all anyway. You showed you really cared and tried hard. That's all you can do and I tip my hat to you! Good luck!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We have a member here that goes by cowdoc so he could advise you about the mechanics of bovine birth but if I had any cows at all I would own a calf puller. The first calf you save will pay for it not to mention saving a cow. The downward pull seems to do far less damage than a straight out pull. As I said learn how to operate the thing and know where it is at all times. All it costs is the original price and will last forever if kept under a roof. My neighbor and I got so good at it that all the cow people around were calling us.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sure hate to hear that she did not make it. My last one was down for 8 days before she was finally able to stand on her own. It was another week before she was able to walk good enough to turn her out. She took a lot of work but is still with me 3 years later and giving some mighty fine registered angus calves. Sorry once again.

Jim

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That sucks.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's a darn shame. Sounds like you tried hard, just wasn't in the Good Lord's plan.
Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you tried with everything you had, some times it's just not going to happen, so don't beat yourself up over it , we all learn from those tough life experiances,
I have had to put horses down that could not be saved, and saved 1 that took 2 months I hope the next one comes out well for you.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry for the loss of your cow. Sometimes the best efforts go south.

A general rule of thumb I use is to not pull harder than what 2-2.5 strong men could pull by hand. Calf pullers are a necessity of course but you can exert more pressure than should be used with one. After you've done it for a while you develop a feel for how hard to pull. A good slick OB lube is a necessity too. Bottom line is you can hurt a cow by pulling too hard.

If you can't make progress by traction, it's time to resort to C-section or fetotomy. If live calf, obviously a section. If fetus is dead, fetotomy is first choice. The calf is cut up enough to be delivered without excessive traction.

I realize not everyone in the cattle business has access to a veterinarian that does bovine practice. That's a can of worms I'm not going to open right now.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
^^^The local vet my niece works at recently quit doing large animals, and this is dairy and beef country, not to mention the myriad of equine facilities! Mind boggling!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,843 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.