Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
New to posting here but not a new lurker. Curious how many dodgy New Englanders we have roaming these campfire streets? I’m here in VT and burning up the last of my firewood hoping that Winter gets the hint and goes away.

Anyhow hunting: who tracks & who stands? I know we all do a little of each but why do you do what you do?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Renegade is a good tracker. Just avoid being downwind. #CiCi’sPoots
#Shoowee

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Hunt the NY/VT boarder. Mostly from a stand since I only own a couple hundred acres. I like to still hunt the most but rarely do since bumping deer off the property is not a wise move. No real tracking opportunities like in the Adirondacks.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Northern Maine here. Mainly a still hunter or tracker if we have snow

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm in eastern Ct and hunt out of treestands for the most part due to the small parcels of private land I hunt on. If we have snow I'll still hunt and track if I find a good buck track but typically the buck will walk off the property. Last year I was able to track a buck that I saw from my stand into a swamp and shot him in his bed. Pretty rare thing in CT but conditions were right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I hunt in northern New England I track when there is snow. If there isn't snow on the ground, I'll over-watch in the early AM and late PM and still-hunt from 9AM to 3PM. I mostly hunt in the Connecticut River valley in the towns of Haverhill, Piermont, Orford, and Lyme on the NH side and the towns of Bradford, Newbury, Ryegate, Barnet, and Waterford on the VT side.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Have stand hunted in Connecticut and Maine mostly. A little still hunting if we have snow up north.

A
A
Tracking and still hunting is all I do and enjoy, unless I'm hunting with relatives. Then I sit as long as I can.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for chiming in fellas! I hunt the Champlain Island area but with the small plots I mostly stand but then when it snows I cross the lake, into the Adirondack area and have pretty much huge woods to roam. I can’t get enough of the Adirondacks & spend as much time as I can over there.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I hunt SE NH and northern Maine. I'm too old and clumsy to track like the Benoits so my deer hunting is generally a combination of sitting, still hunting and tracking. Mostly sitting in NH since I've hunted the same woods for decades so know some pretty good places to sit (on the ground; no more tree stands for me). Northern Maine is mostly still hunting and occasional tracking if conditions are good. I don't expect to walk up on a deer but tracks often lead to good spots to still hunt.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
as much as i enjoy still hunting, i find its about impossible to do it right with the wind constantly changing directions in the mountains where i hunt. still rainy days are really the only time i feel like i am not actually driving deer instead of hunting them. never had success tracking in the snow. i've done it, but never shot one doing it.

My diploma is a DD214
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rem141r
as much as i enjoy still hunting, i find its about impossible to do it right with the wind constantly changing directions in the mountains where i hunt. still rainy days are really the only time i feel like i am not actually driving deer instead of hunting them. never had success tracking in the snow. i've done it, but never shot one doing it.

Just my humble opinion but if you are tracking a deer in the north woods and are worried about wind, you'll be walking in circles. It is what it is and there are times when you are going to have the wind at your back.

Stillhunting is different for sure.

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Still hunt without snow, track with it

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JDK
Originally Posted by rem141r

Just my humble opinion but if you are tracking a deer in the north woods and are worried about wind, you'll be walking in circles. It is what it is and there are times when you are going to have the wind at your back.

Stillhunting is different for sure.

i agree on the walking in circles. sometimes it seems like the wind is always at my back.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I live in Maine and find myself doing all three depending upon time of day, time of the month (rut, etc.), weather, and presence of other hunters. I find tracking fascinating, tree stands boring, and still hunting tolerable. But then the magic happens and it's all worth it.

The way life should be.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Two constants about the wind in Maine -- if you're hunting, it's at your back and if you're canoeing, it's at your face!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by eblake
Two constants about the wind in Maine -- if you're hunting, it's at your back and if you're canoeing, it's at your face!

Haha here in VT too

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I am in NW CT. I have done both in the past when I hunted some farms which had enough room to walk a little bit. But that was then and this is now. I hunt on the ground stands on state land. Relatively speaking I do OK. If I tried to still hunt all that I would succeed in doing is driving the deer to another hunter or outside the boundaries where I can legally hunt. When I have gone to Canada (Anticosti) I love still hunting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Hunted NH most of my life. Given some fresh snow in norther/central NH (white mountains), I was off and tracking. Dry leaves or southern NH, it was on a stand.Still hunting when bored of sitting

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
When I hunt in Southern New Hampshire I track when there is snow. If there isn't any snow on the ground, Tree stands in the early AM and late PM and still-hunt during the mid-day. I use 4 stand sites. My trail cameras tell me when the deer move past certain stands. I run the cameras all summer long and into the season.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 77 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.