24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I have a Ruger Hawkeye II that shifts point of impact rather dramatically (5 inches if I’m not smoking something) as ambient temperature changes from say 80F to 20F (or vice versa). Anyone else had similar problems? And how did you fix it?? Shots are high in cold temps when you’d expect velocities to be down.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sounds like a bedding problem.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
At what range?

Slower velocities can shoot higher because the bullet takes more time during recoil to exit the barrel as it's rising during recoil.

I believe you're not smoking, but are you snorting anything?

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The one time I had a severe bedding issue. The shots would walk from center bellseye to two o'clock. Each shot rising higher to the right as the barrel heated up.

My stock was warped, and pressing on the barrel in one direction. Some careful inspection should reveal such a flaw without too much trouble. I'm not a gunsmith, and was trouble shooting without much knowledge or any experience when I figured out the problem.

The other culprit could be scope or sight related. Five inches is a lot for the same ammo.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Its a bedding and pressure on the barrel problem... I'd also check the mag box and make sure it's not binding or torqueing the action. The mag box should not be tight between the floor plate and the bottom of the action...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Its a bedding and pressure on the barrel problem... I'd also check the mag box and make sure it's not binding or torqueing the action. The mag box should not be tight between the floor plate and the bottom of the action...

I had a mag box binding up on me. I was about to chuck the rifle into the tree line. Went home took a belt sander to the mag box, went back to the range problem of wandering/shifting point of impact solved.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Rugers do not like the center screw to be real tight, they should be almost loose.

Magazine box should "Float" between the action and the floor plate where you can drop the magazine box and wiggle the mag box with your finger, This is a BIG secret on getting rugers to shoot extremely well.

There is also an issue with the load that you are shooting where you could be loosing a LOT of velocity when it gets extremely cold, as previously mentioned.

Start at the start, Bed the rifle, give a good freefloat on the barrel, not a dollar bill thickness float, a business card at least.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What powder are you using? If sensitive to temperature change, change the powder.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
560 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.