Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Mine is five now. Smartest dog I've ever had and the most head strong. Personality plus and is a character. Good guard dog until she knows you. Great hunting dog and family dog. Loves to eat cat crap!! Would get another one in a heart beat. Came from Windmill Kennels in Idaho

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by luv2safari
My new griff I just picked up

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My wife looked at this and said we need a boyfriend for Rosie. She wants a puppy. She's been telling me no new dogs for a while. "A while" didn't last long, lol.

if interested he is going to breed again this summer . really strong lines

Sorry for the delay in answering. Rosie sure is interested.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My new griff I just picked up

My wife looked at this and said we need a boyfriend for Rosie. She wants a puppy. She's been telling me no new dogs for a while. "A while" didn't last long, lol.

if interested he is going to breed again this summer . really strong lines

Sorry for the delay in answering. Rosie sure is interested.

let me know. Grouse mountain griffs in Whitefish MT

He just pointed a blue grouse at 12 weeks

getting along ok now

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
MY SON’S BUD HAS ONE. GREAT DOG IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY. We have a PUDELPOINTER and she is terrific but the Griff is calm and collective.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Had one growing up, best hunting dog ever. Tried to kill everything including some dumb people. No one will be getting in your house if you have one from that line. Like stated above, they like to kill stuff: cats, coons, other dogs, deer. They used to need good training, which we as kids and my absent father never provided, but boy did we shoot allot of stuff. The breed is supposed to be much nicer now than 40 years ago. My wife doesn't know it, but we are getting one in a couple of years when I am fully retired, har har.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station
Had one growing up, best hunting dog ever. Tried to kill everything including some dumb people. No one will be getting in your house if you have one from that line. Like stated above, they like to kill stuff: cats, coons, other dogs, deer. They used to need good training, which we as kids and my absent father never provided, but boy did we shoot allot of stuff. The breed is supposed to be much nicer now than 40 years ago. My wife doesn't know it, but we are getting one in a couple of years when I am fully retired, har har.

The breeders have bred out for the most part the desire to kill everything like a DD ( nothing wrong with that if that's what you want) if you locate a good established breeder. Decent watch dogs and will alert on movements, strange sounds and people approaching their area. but based on my experience won't attack people. Just an alert bark and then some sniffing and tale wagging.

Like all breeds socialization, training are required

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My love of Griffons goes waaaaayyyyy back.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Can't say enough positive things. Ours is out of Idaho, and does not mind the water. Very much a family dog and not a "kennel" breed. GSP is a better hunting machine, but WHG are superior the other 99% of the time.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
very cool pics! You sure have a lot of time with the breed

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
very cool pics! You sure have a lot of time with the breed

Gents, thanks for sharing some really great photos.

Bruce, I so apologize for not keeping up with you, I hope you are well!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I love my Griff. Great family dog, great hunting dog. She loves to hunt. Good retrieves and a great nose.

I hunt most years with a guy and his drathaars. His drats are great dogs in their own right but I really enjoy the way my dog works a bit closer and a bit slower. She doesn't miss much.

Mine is out of Hun Hill, Frank Puccio. Haven't spoke with him in some years but I believe he still breeds and trains hunting dogs.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I love my Griff. Great family dog, great hunting dog. She loves to hunt. Good retrieves and a great nose.

I hunt most years with a guy and his drathaars. His drats are great dogs in their own right but I really enjoy the way my dog works a bit closer and a bit slower.

Had 2 WPG's and 2 GWP's (currently Emma).

Second what MadMooner said.

Griffs are sometimes referred to as "bootlickers" because they hunt so close. That doesn't suit everyone's style, which is fine, but for folks who aren't looking for dogs that run to the next county, griffs are awesome. Griffs will range out to 75-100 yards and check back often. I've also had a draat, my first GWP (a blackie!). Ty was a hunting machine, but definitely german.

There are few breeds which compete with griffs as family dogs. They need to be with their family. All. The. Time. And they're clownish! Boy, are they full of personality.

What was the question :-P

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Great dogs. My son’s buddy has one, he is a good hunter, family dog and one big LUG!

G
G
My first dog is a Griff, Bailey is 2.5 now and she is a great family dog. I'm looking forward to my next one in 3-4 yrs so I can avoid the situation the OP is in with regards to mourning the loss of your hunting buddy. I joined my local Navhda chapter and I think their breed registry database is a great tool to help you find the breeders that are producing strong hunting litters. As others have said there is a lot of coat variation in the breed. Bailey's sire was a smooth head with furnishings like a GWP and her dam was a more typical wooly mop head. I ended up with well defined furnishings and a pretty flat lying coat which I like. I will also second that they are indoor family dogs, they crave their people time, not well suited for a kennel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
466 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 47 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.