Campfire Greenhorn
J
looking for crafts ideas would love to find plans for bags and arrowe qurviers

Jonathan Henson
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to tan up the skunks I caught and make snowmobile mittens from the with buckskin palms.

Now I have a rack of tanned coyotes to make a bed spread for my wife. Soon as I get the "Honey Do" list whittled down some.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I make stir sticks outta coon peckers.....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to make "Roach Clips" out of them they sold well in the 1970/80's. I decked them out with feathers and beads.

Last edited by erich; 03/08/21.

Make mine a Minaska

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by erich
I used to make "Roach Clips" out of them they sold well in the 1970/80's. I decked them out with feathers and beads.

what a roach clip?

Jonathan Henson
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
a few years ago it seemed to be popular to use fox and raccoon skulls for paper weights or display pieces. used to see a fair amount of them varnished or painted.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What you can make is only limited by your imagination. We buy furs as my Yukon River born wife sews with fur and tanned deer, elk and moose hides. She recently put a silver fox ruff on a black coat she bought, very nice looking. She made beaver "trapper" hats for the kids and grandkids and mittens and slippers, etc.

One of my prized possession's is a rifle sheath/scabbard made from smoke tanned moose hide with a bear paw beaded on it with black beads. When I pull the old Marlin 45-70 or Mod. 71 Winchester .348 Ackey Improved out of it at the range or around the camp fire I feel like I am surrounded by envy. My dear wife has a Mod. 94 Big Bore .356 Winchester she "stole" from me and totes on moose hunts and berry picking trips. I bought some river otter hides from a guy and she is going to make a scabbard out of them for her Big Bore. I have seen the old seal skin scabbard that legendary Master Guide Hal Waugh had for his "Big Nan" a .375 Weatherby on a old Mod. 70 action. Was very nice to look at.

Like many Alaskan homes we have a few hides, skulls and antlers gracing the walls, along with a couple of dried bear peckers. You should see the ones that come off of a walrus, looks like a serious club. Goggle Ossik images. Damn!

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
What you can make is only limited by your imagination. We buy furs as my Yukon River born wife sews with fur and tanned deer, elk and moose hides. She recently put a silver fox ruff on a black coat she bought, very nice looking. She made beaver "trapper" hats for the kids and grandkids and mittens and slippers, etc.

One of my prized possession's is a rifle sheath/scabbard made from smoke tanned moose hide with a bear paw beaded on it with black beads. When I pull the old Marlin 45-70 or Mod. 71 Winchester .348 Ackey Improved out of it at the range or around the camp fire I feel like I am surrounded by envy. My dear wife has a Mod. 94 Big Bore .356 Winchester she "stole" from me and totes on moose hunts and berry picking trips. I bought some river otter hides from a guy and she is going to make a scabbard out of them for her Big Bore. I have seen the old seal skin scabbard that legendary Master Guide Hal Waugh had for his "Big Nan" a .375 Weatherby on a old Mod. 70 action. Was very nice to look at.

Like many Alaskan homes we have a few hides, skulls and antlers gracing the walls, along with a couple of dried bear peckers. You should see the ones that come off of a walrus, looks like a serious club. Goggle Ossik images. Damn!

dang how big are you guys river otters? i woud think it take a lot of them or very big ones

Jonathan Henson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jonboy900
Originally Posted by erich

what a roach clip?

For smoking a doobie.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22

The “pizzle swizzle stick” from Donco.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But, wait...... There's more......

For an additional small handling fee, You can get two, yes TWO, pizzle swizzlers for the low introductory price of just $19.99...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Yep bear peckers too 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

Since you brought it up....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way back in the '70's, I was catching beaver and had no market for them. Started tanning the hides, sew on a backing, and selling them for throw rugs. It was work, but I made pretty good money that winter.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Late 70's I was selling beaver for a buck an inch. I did tan and lace some to willow hoops and display them with a couple #4 longsprings, even gave a couple of those as wedding gifts.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife paints a skull now and then. She's done several coyotes and a bear. Now she has a cougar skull just waiting for the right inspiration.

And yeah, she has to buy them all.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have not myself, but a sent a bunch of my beaver to this lady who made me 3 pair of these mittens. She does outstanding work.Beaver mitt link

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 1_deuce, 41 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,719
Posts18,457,212
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.