Print Thread
Hop To
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Had some messages yesterday and early this morning from Jaco Visser, owner of Nkwe Safaris in Botswana. Jaco is one of Gerhard's best friends and the guy he's partnered with for the two elephant concessions they have in Bots.

Jaco's place where he does his PG hunts is on the western side of Bots, about a two a half hour drive south of Maun. It's between the city of Maun and NG49 where they have the ele/buffalo concession. I have never met Jaco face to face, only on video calls with Gerhard. Likewise, I have not personally hunted the property....yet. IF, things goes as planned, I will be on Jaco's place and NG 49 in early April. Here's a link to his website - Nkwe Safaris If you have the phone app Whatsapp, you can message him or call him direct on the phone number listed on his website. Just remember, if you call, they are 6-7 hrs ahead of US Eastern time.

From the photos and talking with both Jaco and Gerhard, the lodging/camp facilities are along a permanently flowing river and the facilities look very, very nice on his website. Anyway, he's put together a couple of package hunts and wanted me to post them up. Unfortunately, I can't make the trip if anyone wants me to travel with, but I will still do all I can to help you sort out airlines/travel, permits & docs. etc.

As always, feel free to contact me either here in the open forums or PM's and always feel free to contact Jaco directly from his contact info on his website above.

PACKAGE # 1 – 8 Trophy Animals – 1x kudu, 2x blue w/b, 2x zebra (Burchells), 1x impala, 1x duiker, 1x jackal. Includes 8 nights, 7 full hunting days all inclusive. Minimum of 2 hunters hunting 2x1 (2 hunters will have one PH) $5300.00 per client.

PACKAGE # 2 – 6 Trophy Animals – 1x eland, 1x zebra (Burchells), 1x blue w/b, 1x gemsbok, 1x steinbok, 2x warthog, 1x impala (trophy), 2x jackal. Includes 8 nights, 7 full hunting days all inclusive. Minimum of 2 hunters hunting 2x1 (2 hunter will have one PH) $5600.00 per client.

PACKAGE # 3 – 9 Cull Animals & 1 Trophy – 2x cull eland (male or female), 2x blue w/b. 2x zebra (Burchells). 2x warthog, 1x impala (trophy), 1x jackal. Includes 8 nights, 7 full hunting days all inclusive, Minimum of 2 hunters hunting 2x1 (2 hunters and one PH) $5000.00 per client.

Michael

Last edited by M3taco; 01/13/21.
BP-B2

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well....some good news. Looks like I'm heading to Bots at the end of this month!!

Jaco and Gerhard have hunting party coming in to hunt elephant in the NG49 Concession that is on the western side of Bots near the Okavango Delta about 2hrs drive from Maun. Was invited to come along as a backup gun and Appy/waterboy.

Just finalized the tickets - flying Qatar Air as primary carrier from Miami. Flying into Gaborone first and spend a little time with Garhard and Maggie on Sass Post then drive over to NG49 and help finish up camp prep for the clients arrival. They are booked for 3 ele in 10-days. Should be a damn good hunt.

First time for me on Qatar Air with personal firearms. The transit process in Doha from other's who've gone before all say it is pretty seamless and easy. Will be a good practice run for the small group trip in June and Aug. If all goes well, we'll use Qatar Air for those trips as well.

Here's the only Swahili I know (spelled phonetically): "un gawa tea a bowana tembo" = "get the hell out of the way, elephant coming"....who knows maybe ol' Ian was having one over on me and I'm ordering up a double scotch and a hooker!!! laugh

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Basically, no one speaks KiSwahili in Botswana so you shouldn’t have a problem....

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yea, I know....another post I made got me reminiscing about Ian Goss and my time in Natal. Had a double finger (vertical crazy) pour of good scotch and a cigar in his memory last night.

JD - Have you made the Doha transfer with firearms before. I transited the terminal a good bit while on active duty, but that was kind of a group thing and only going the the forward HQ's there. Never got to really stay in the terminal for any time or make a connection with civilian firearms.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m getting excited........

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by M3taco
Yea, I know....another post I made got me reminiscing about Ian Goss and my time in Natal. Had a double finger (vertical crazy) pour of good scotch and a cigar in his memory last night.

JD - Have you made the Doha transfer with firearms before. I transited the terminal a good bit while on active duty, but that was kind of a group thing and only going the the forward HQ's there. Never got to really stay in the terminal for any time or make a connection with civilian firearms.

I quit carrying my rifle about 10 safaris ago, so I have never transited with a rifle. I really like the airport though. I’m basically too lazy to fool with permits, extra charges, etc. To me a rifle is just a tool. Every camp has a suitable rifle to use. As long as it goes bang and hits what I aim at, I’m good to go. Flying QA in September on the way to the Caprivi for a buff hunt, flying via Kasane. QA and Emirates are my favorite airlines. Learned my lesson the hard way with Delta and never fly them.....

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Received a few aerial pictures from Jaco this morning of the eastern side of NG49. Below is a map of Bots with all the various concession areas. The two concession Gerhard and Jaco have are marked. These concession are where they do just the DG hunts and are in addition to the private lands they do the PG hunting on. To give you a better idea of the scale, CT27 is about 2m US acres and NG49 is about 650k US acres.

Bots Concession Areas

CT27 is on the far N end of Gerhard's operation in the Tuli Block - they've got quota for just three ele there. It's govt owned but a local tribal council has control over it. They only put 3 ele in the tender as a test run and are likely to add more at the next tender offer.

NG49 is about 90min by bakkie from the airport in Maun. In this tender, they received quota for 15 ele, 2 buffalo and one leopard. The photos below were taken in the last couple of days. Again, these are over the eastern side of the concession that boarders a national park. The western side closer is a bit higher ground and dryer. This is where the upcoming hunt is supposed to take place. Keep in mind that nearly all of Botswana actually lies within the Kalahari desert and this shows they have recieved exceptional rains this season.

Eastern NG49 1
Eastern NG49 2
Eastern NG49 3
Eastern NG49 4
Eastern NG49 5

Here are a couple of the ele in NG49 they scouted last year after they won the tenders.

Ele 1
Ele 2
Ele 3

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Is anyone on this forum who might be interested in an elephant hunt yet this year (2021)?

If, so Jaco had discounted the ele hunts in NG49 for the rest of 2021 by $5000 US to $60K , 10-days, all in, from the time you're met at the airport until you get back on the plane. Jaco says to expect NG49 ivory in the 50lbs+ range.

They also have 2 left in CT27. 10-days, all in from the airport and back - $27.5k US. Gerhard says the CT27 ivory will be 25-40lbs.

Edited: I can't post the details here. The sent me to *.pdf files with photos embedded. One file is just under 2mb and the other is just under 650kb. Too big to attach here and my photo hosting site won't accept *.pdf files so I can link to the.

If you PM me, I'll give you my email address and if you email me I'll send you the files. I do not collect email address and won't contact you again via your email unless you request me to.

Edited to Add: Gerhard and Jaco messaged me this morning that if someone or a couple of guys come together and take two or more ele, they could do even a bit better on the prices in NG49. They didn't specify how much in the message so, you'd have to contact them directly.

Last edited by M3taco; 03/12/21. Reason: Add new info
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Jaco had his first client of the season in this past week. Guy was from RSA and shot 9 kudu in 6-days on his property. They ranged from 52" to the last one......63"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

and the 63"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The dude likes hunting kudu. What's the trophy fee?

Coming from a place where i can generally shoot one WT deer a year, 9 kudu is a decade worth of kudu

IC B3

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The "normal" ala carte t/f for his trophy kudu is $1500 ea. I don't know for certain, but since the client was from RSA and likely drove there and took multiple head, he likely got some bit of a discount.

When Gerhard and, in this case Jaco put together this "package" hunts like above, you'll save somewhere 20-25% over doing the same hunt via straight daily rate and individual ala carte trophy fees.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
The "normal" ala carte t/f for his trophy kudu is $1500 ea. I don't know for certain, but since the client was from RSA and likely drove there and took multiple head, he likely got some bit of a discount.

When Gerhard and, in this case Jaco put together these "package" hunts like above, you'll save somewhere 20-25% over doing the same hunt via straight daily rate and individual ala carte trophy fees.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
534 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.