Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I got a Bog Pod Deathgrip for Christmas. I've used it a few times, and been practicing with it alot. It's main use will be with night vision, while predator hunting. For some reason, when I'm standing, I almost always seem to pull right. Discovered this after missing two "chip shot" foxes one night.

So, for me, sitting is the ticket. I'm much more solid, which translates to accuracy. Overall, I like it alot. It's incredibly solid and it keeps you above the weeds and tall grass.

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I started Bench Rest shooting in 1977. Back then Remington would pay $1000 to any winner who won using a stock 40X.
So 30 years of testing rifles on sand bags is a good standard.
About 20 years ago I started putting bipods on rifles and Contender pistols. My best friend and long time shooting partner ED spent a Summer with me two years ago. We shot a lot. I said in the last several years that I can prove that a bipod cuts 1/4 minute off my 100 yard average group size...compared to a rest and squeeze sand rear bag.
Ed looked at me like the priest in The Exorcist.
We got into an out of proportion debate. Time allowing that day on the range with his rifle....He proved it to himself in fact we stopped at a gun shop on the way home whereupon he bought a Harris for his 6.5 Ackley Improved.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Uncas
I started Bench Rest shooting in 1977. Back then Remington would pay $1000 to any winner who won using a stock 40X.
So 30 years of testing rifles on sand bags is a good standard.
About 20 years ago I started putting bipods on rifles and Contender pistols. My best friend and long time shooting partner ED spent a Summer with me two years ago. We shot a lot. I said in the last several years that I can prove that a bipod cuts 1/4 minute off my 100 yard average group size...compared to a rest and squeeze sand rear bag.
Ed looked at me like the priest in The Exorcist.
We got into an out of proportion debate. Time allowing that day on the range with his rifle....He proved it to himself in fact we stopped at a gun shop on the way home whereupon he bought a Harris for his 6.5 Ackley Improved.

I suppose thats why so many competitors at benchrest matches are using them?

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Uncas
About 20 years ago I started putting bipods on rifles and Contender pistols.

I have always used sandbags or a rest until recently.

This past summer I was working on loads for a new rifle and experimenting with different loads looking for good groups. Rather than drag all my shooting stuff to the range to fire 1 or 2 groups I made up a small bag with the necessities and stuck a Harris bipod on the rifle. I was impressed with the results. Enough to make me think the consistency offered by the bipod was affecting the groups. This was especially true when I compared notes taken while shooting the same rifle off of a rest with a bag on top.

I tried the tripod on a second rifle and again I was impressed with the results. They were as good or better than the rest or just sandbags.

My initial "guess" is that the consistent location of the bipod and the consistent pressure on the bipod provide more consistent results.

Last edited by FWP; 03/06/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bogpod works pretty damn good, I always have it since I use it for glassing with binos or spotter anyway, just swap for the saddle when it’s time to shoot,

IC B2

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by longshot3
I got a Bog Pod Deathgrip for Christmas. I've used it a few times, and been practicing with it alot. It's main use will be with night vision, while predator hunting. For some reason, when I'm standing, I almost always seem to pull right. Discovered this after missing two "chip shot" foxes one night.

So, for me, sitting is the ticket. I'm much more solid, which translates to accuracy. Overall, I like it alot. It's incredibly solid and it keeps you above the weeds and tall grass.

Try standing legs spread shoulder width. Like shooting a pistol rather than foot forward as a normal rifle pose.
I'm most accurate with both hands on the pistol grip, letting the Pod hold the weight. It seems odd but light pressure steers the gun without wobble or pulling the shot.

If I had to guess, your pulling right as the shot brakes is from steering the gun with your trigger hand.

Last edited by Hal4son; 03/07/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not much for gadgetry and had never heard of or seen a Bog Pod until about ten or twelve years ago while on an elk hunt in very open country in northwestern Colorado. I borrowed a Bog Pod from my hunting partner to make a 320 yard shot that I couldn't have successfully made otherwise. After that trip, I got my own Bog Pod and have used it on a number of elk hunts. It doesn't hurt to practice with these occasionally. At first I noticed shots taken off the Bog Pod at 300 yard targets impacted a little high in comparison with shots fired from a benchrest, though maybe not enough to miss an elk. However, as I got more comfortable with the Bog Pod, I found that shots fired using it had the same point of impact as though fired from a benchrest. This may vary from shooter to shooter, but it's worth checking.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bog Pod i used one last year and this tri-pod worked fine for me and no its not as accurate as a permanent cement bench but its good enough for hunting as are all the other rests even a Harris bi-pod if thats all you have, tree limb, back pack, rock, car door ,what ever, its still easier to shoot more accurate than freehand for most of us.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,402
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.