Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

Is there anyone that owns one of these, Pro's & Con's? I could not find alot of information out on them. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are 2 models I guess. One a carbine, the other has a around a 30 inch barrel. They are cut for round ball usually.
Some snuck out with 1/48 I heard, but most 1/60.
Triggers are single, and heavy.
I had Carbine, gave it to a kid that was poor. Shot OK.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to believe they once made all those traditional-style guns, even a .56 smoothbore for New England states that required it.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a rather slim and nicely proportioned, half stock, half octagon round barrel, flintlock, large trigger bow, single trigger. Mine was a 1 in 60 twist. Rear sight was not to my taste...but overall it was a very fine rifle and I regret selling mine. It was my entry level gun into competition, and at any given event, it was often in the top 3. Later, as I really got into the game, I had a custom flintlock built with a finely tuned English lock and realized just how average the Thompson lock was. So, in summary, a fine well made, little rifle, capable of superb accuracy, slightly hampered by a very average lockwork. With a little trigger work, sights to suit you, and the very best English flints, correctly knapped, it is a great gun.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Parts - if you end up needing any - they are hard to find, as it was not as large of a production as the Hawken and Renegades.

They were purpose built for the PA round ball season, and twisted slow to match the patch and ball.

Single trigger - that is workable, but not stellar.

It's a "short" half stock to me for a balance and carry, always felt very muzzle heavy in the rifle version, but the carbine was pretty nimble.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There was a guy that had one that used to hunt with us. I liked it. It was a slick handling rifle. Too bad T.C quit making traditional guns.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
wish i coulda had one of the carbines in percussion lock. i had a carbine in flintlock, a later model with the QLA.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a long hunter, worked well after I had the locked swapped out by the factory for the updated one. (I honestly don't recall if I shot it with the original). I wasn't a fan of the QLA, though I don't know if it hurt anything, I just wasn't used to it. I sold it because of that, and the fact that it had more modern, fiber optic sights. (which I loved in function, I just couldn't come to terms with them being on a flintlock)

I was tempted by a short one recently, even though I sure don't need one.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Hard to believe they once made all those traditional-style guns, even a .56 smoothbore for New England states that required it.

Well they were a New England company. Great workmanship back in the day.,,

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ive got one and love it.shoots round ball great.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by barnabus
ive got one and love it.shoots round ball great.

I have a ole' hunting buddy who owned the percussion version of the round ball rifle, the barrel consistently out
shot the "Green Mountain" round ball barrel I have for a .50 T/C Hawkin stock.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Got me one, flint with 1/2 round/ octagonal barrel. Will not part with it for any consideration.
I never shot well with flintlocks. But I shoot THIS flintlock VERY well.
At 50 yards, she just chews a hole. I shoot a .490 ball, .015 patch with a. 54/.56 wad over 70 grains of 3f Swiss.
The previous owner did some useful work on her, Lyman frizzen, glass bedded tang, recut crown and a nice polish job on the bore. She does need a trigger job. A little moly grease on the sear does wonders though.
I can't wait to take her for a walk after Christmas.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
i thought they were the holy grail til i finally got one. percussion carbine version would have been neat, but i was not a fan of the flintlock. quality was good, but by then i had gotten a TVM southern rifle that just shot rings around it.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
387 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.