-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a mature market, hunting rifles don't wear out like cars. I regularly shoot a 103 year old P-14 made by Winchester. Most hunters I know are content with their one hunting tool..

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
It's a mature market, hunting rifles don't wear out like cars. I regularly shoot a 103 year old P-14 made by Winchester. Most hunters I know are content with their one hunting tool..

Not I.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
must be the last dozen or so remingtons i have bought since 2009 were from a Different Remington Arms. as I havent had any issues with any of them in fact a 700 varmint in 223 will shoot just about any 55 gr. bullet you choose into tiny litle clusters my longest string being a box of the cheap remington UMC. i fired the entire box into one ragged hole that was covered entrieely by a nickle. the 700 BDL in 7 Mag I bought 2 years ago shoots several laods into half in or slightly larger groups. h870 Turkey gun has been 100 percent bombproof. Several of the others were Walmart 700 ADLS that I no longer own but had no problems in funtion or accuracy from any of them.

what has always amazed me is the amount of peopel who will gladly spend 1500 bucks give or take on a Kiber rifle full well knowing that theya re going to have to go through a long series of steps to unfugg it just to get it to shoot half way decent. whereas I fully expect that a firearm costing that much should require nothing more than a good scope in good, solid ounts and decent ammunition

Last edited by gitem_12; 03/07/21.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The last two Remington 700 LTR`s I bought last year shoot great.Both came with 40x triggers from the factory.My only complaint is the 223`s twist is 1/9,but it still shoots 69 grain Sierras into dime size 10 shot groups at 100 yards.

Last edited by Huntz; 03/07/21.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have quite a few Remingtons. Other than the poorer finish on the ADL's and replacement of walnut with plastic, I have not seen quality declining. The accuracy is still there. However, the worst Remingtons were the ones with their first plastic stocks AKA Tupperware! Those stocks were worthless, I mean absolutely worthless.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
As far as function etc no issues with recent 870 or 700. The cheaper 788’s I have never purchased but don’t care for the feel when I handled them.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bugger, I been a Remington owner and fan since 69. I don't hate that 1st gen Tupperware, have 1that came on a m700 300 win mag ss model from the early 90's the recoil pad was worthless just like the one on my 870 express 20 ga but no problems with the limbsaver and R3 replacements on them. Yeah my 65 model 7 mm mag ADL needed the original black pad replaced too. Rem pads all age poorly like most everyone else's. Just got to replace them occasionally. Remington's biggest problem is being bought and mishandled by a bunch of fugtard corporate raiders who couldn't t manage a pc circle jerk fugging asswip*s.. none of the manufactors put together any kind of a basic model that is as
finely finished as a 1980's model 700 ADL any more. That is the way it is. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Vulture capitalists, like said above, destroyed Remington, H&R/NEF, Marlin etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Bugger, I been a Remington owner and fan since 69. I don't hate that 1st gen Tupperware, have 1that came on a m700 300 win mag ss model from the early 90's the recoil pad was worthless just like the one on my 870 express 20 ga but no problems with the limbsaver and R3 replacements on them. Yeah my 65 model 7 mm mag ADL needed the original black pad replaced too. Rem pads all age poorly like most everyone else's. Just got to replace them occasionally. Remington's biggest problem is being bought and mishandled by a bunch of fugtard corporate raiders who couldn't t manage a pc circle jerk fugging asswip*s.. none of the manufactors put together any kind of a basic model that is as
finely finished as a 1980's model 700 ADL any more. That is the way it is. Mb

Bought one of those, 700 BDL SS Mountain Rifle. In 300.
Never realized it was a mountain rifle until much later.

The dealer rented a room to a gunsmith.
Paid for the gun, and dropped it off to be shortened a little and
have a Decelerator installed. Knew darn sure I didn't want to
shoot it with that hard pad. Bought an 870 express with the
same type pad. Probably some rubber left over from making
haul truck tires.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those first Tupperware stocks you could tie in a knot, they were the filmiest excuse for a stock I've ever seen.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Remington went bankrupt for a good reason. If you want a proper rifle, of course you could always buy a Remington 700, and replace the stock and pillar bed the action, replace the rough trigger, "blueprint" the action so that the locking lugs are square and true, replace the bottom metal, fix the sticky bolt stop so the bolt doesn't fall out, re-drill the off centre scope base mounting screws or buy eccentric scope ring inserts to compensate, replace the crappy little extractor with a Sako style claw, and perhaps buy an upgrade to the main spring & striker. Good luck to you if the bolt handle falls off, but don't worry too much, somebody makes a proper replacement. There is a good reason that a small industry has sprung up to fix what Remington should have done right to begin with. I have had a string of bad luck Remingtons. But my sons have two that were actually OK. Except both are chambered in 7mm-08 and have drastically different chamber throat dimensions. No more Remingtons for me.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Don’t agree wholly. Their design is sound. Nothing wrong with the bolt stop or the extraction and multi piece bolts have become the norm. It’s the execution that has failed. They are built like [bleep]...but the design is good imho

GOD Bless America
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by castnblast
Remington went bankrupt for a good reason. If you want a proper rifle, of course you could always buy a Remington 700, and replace the stock and pillar bed the action, replace the rough trigger, "blueprint" the action so that the locking lugs are square and true, replace the bottom metal, fix the sticky bolt stop so the bolt doesn't fall out, re-drill the off centre scope base mounting screws or buy eccentric scope ring inserts to compensate, replace the crappy little extractor with a Sako style claw, and perhaps buy an upgrade to the main spring & striker. Good luck to you if the bolt handle falls off, but don't worry too much, somebody makes a proper replacement. There is a good reason that a small industry has sprung up to fix what Remington should have done right to begin with. I have had a string of bad luck Remingtons. But my sons have two that were actually OK. Except both are chambered in 7mm-08 and have drastically different chamber throat dimensions. No more Remingtons for me.

What good reason did Remington go bankrupt?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
They’ve been run into the ground by parasite bean counters for one...a couple times now.

Also a pile of bad product decisions...we all know this

GOD Bless America
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

For those who didn't bother reading the thread......

Originally Posted by alpinecrick

DuPont sold Remington to C,D & R, a Wall Street scumbag shark capital management firm in 1992 (or 93). In the late 90's C, D & R borrowed $200 million against Remington, pocketed the money and gave Remington the debt. That's why Remington began to struggle.

In 2007 Cerberus, another Wall Street scumbag shark capital management firm bought Remington including the $200 million in debt. In the fall of 2007 Cerberus announced they were taking Remington public and an IPO was scheduled in the spring of 2008.

Enter CNBC, a scumbag, anti gun network. CNBC immediately began production of an "expose" to be called Remington Under Fire. Remington Under Fire was released in late February of 2008. Remington Under Fire was created expressly to torpedo Remington's IPO. CNBC succeeded in doing just that. ( And I can't help but note how many professed pro 2nd Amendment, pro gun people bought into what is probably the most sophisticated hit job ever aired on national television.)

Soon after Cerberus canceled the IPO, and devised another method to suck some money out of Remington and convinced lenders to hand over $840 million dollars in loans using Remington as collateral. Cerberus pocketed the money and gave Remington the debt. At this juncture Remington is now laboring under 1 billion, 40 million dollars in debt.

No firearms manufacturer and no ammo manufacturer on the planet could succeed with that kind of debt. It is quite the testament to Remington that they made it over a decade before folding.

rahtreelimbs, hopefully that addresses your question.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Yatzi.

There was trouble in paradise prior though. Mike Walker and Wayne Leek both resigned over qc issues if I'm not mistaken...and seriously...correct me if I'm wrong. Walker is on record as such...Leek...cant seem to find anything in print but i know I've read it.

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Remington is an American institution and I truly wish them the best. Ive got a collection full of them and a lifetime of memories with them

GOD Bless America
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't DuPont pick up Remington cheap?

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by castnblast

How many average buyers do you really believe do all or any of that?
The reason that there’s a whole cottage industry around the Rem 700 action is because it’s been the most successful and copied action for decades. Your describing upgrades that are mostly theoretical to the average hunter or casual shooter and generally only needed by either competitive shooters or high end custom builds as a way to sell to customers some nice add ons to have the “best.”

Where Remington lost there way was lack of invocation or listening to consumer demand and allowing a brand that was once associated as quality to slip to a very cheaply plastic stocked Walmart brand. That the Remington niche today is low cost bolt rifles and pump action shotguns. Two lower demand and lower markup guns in today’s market and trying to compete against other more innovative sellers at the same price point in the bolt action rifle world.

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder but Remington firearms tend to be unpleasing to the eye and they don’t listen to the customer base unlike Ruger with No 1’s, Blackhawk Bisley’s, Lipsey’s African and other designs or special runs that make them more than just an economy brand. Remington should have a well marketed line of nicely made well stocked hunting rifles based on there 700 action. The same basic action that everybody and there brother uses as a basis to sell high end competition and hunting rifles around. Instead they’ve cheapened out every component around it and put it in a garbage stock to sell high volume low mark up Walmart rifles.

Having said all of that it’s been my experience that a newer out of the box Remington 700 will still shoot well to very well and function reliably and so will the Rem 870.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If Remington made the highest quality guns on the market, there would still be the "haters", who would find any reason to run them down. You can argue it any way you want, but their Model 700 has been THE bolt action design that ALL others are compared to for about the past 50 years. It has been the best selling bolt action rifle on the market, and that's what draws the criticism, from those people who choose to buy something else, perhaps trying to justify their choice.

Every bolt action centerfire rifle that I own, except for one, is a Remington, either a 700 or a 7. I just like the design and have yet to own one that I could not get to shoot good enough for my purposes. I did have a bolt handle come off one, and have replaced most of the triggers, mostly because I hate the newer trigger, but that has not stopped me from buying more. I have a simple philosophy concerning situations like this..............it's none of my business what someone else buys, and it's none of their's how I spend my money. In other words, if you don't like Remington guns, or for that matter any other brand, then just don't buy one.............just be happy with what you do choose to buy, and keep your mouth shut about what the other fellow owns.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.