Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’d like to pick up a light & short 7x57 for New England & Kentucky woods hunting and know that there are throat & mag length issues to consider for Remington, Ruger & Winchester. I’d enjoy advice on which to consider or maybe another option that I’m not looking at. The Remington Classic is too bulky for my needs but maybe a 700 Mtn rifle would be ok. But I sure like Ruger RL & Win Featherweight and own several of each. The rifle needs to be nimble cuz these woods are thick and I’m a tracker mostly who covers lots of ground in the woods.

I fully understand that the 7mm-08 is modern, better & similar at the same time but owning both a 6mm & 257 Roberts I’d like to complete the trio.

Throw it all in & thanks for reading my rambling thoughts!

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive had them all and really wish I had my 700 Mtn. rifle back. That said the current Ruger African in .275 Rigby is simply the nicest and perhaps most accurate factory rifle Ive had...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The nice thing about building is, you get exactly what you want.

Sorry for the non-gunwriter opinion.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
The nice thing about building is, you get exactly what you want.

Sorry for the non-gunwriter opinion.

The Devil is in the Details! Assume nothing, especially reamer design!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew up with the Mod. 70 and the Springfield 03A3 and almost every beautiful rifle picture I remember gracing the cover of popular gun magazines was a Mod. 70 or Mauser bolt action rifle. I personally think the Mod. 700 and Ruger "took over" because they were cheaper to make, had good advertising, and that appealed to a new generation of hunting riflemen. Not because they were better or more durable hunting rifles. That and the demise of "old" Winchester bolt guns sealed the deal, so to speak. I have never been a fan of Remington centerfire rifles, but many of my friends are.

Ruger rifles are built to last and I used a Mod. 77 .338 for about ten years. That rifle would put a handful of 250 grain Nosler Partitions into a tidy little group at 100 yards and was a moose, caribou and bear slayer. I traded it off for the Holy Grail, a Pre-64 Mod. 70 Alaskan .338 Winny. A few years later I sold it for a profit and built a .338 based on a Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" action. A grandson will receive it some day, with the condition he passes it on to his son.

So I think any of the three will work fine and I like a light weight rifle as long as it balances good for off hand shooting, which for me feels best when a rifle is a little muzzle heavy.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ruger M77 tang safety in 7X57MM will be easier to find than the other two you mention

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can't go wrong with the 7X57 and any of the three offerings you presented will work fine. I have three rifles in this caliber two customs and a pre64 M70 carbine. If i was to be still hunting the big woods country this is the rifle I'd take but finding one is the problem and there pricey.
You said your a tracker so when you get a shot it's probably going to be one quick one. Consider a Ruger #1 in either the 1A or international configuration. Most of my hunting was done with single shot rifles last year and I never felt handicapped.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The mountain rifle or the M70 featherweight (if you can find one) would be my first choices. But, if Ruger showed up first, I'd grab it. If you find one of the others later, you can pick one up and sell the Ruger, although you just might not want to.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by shootinurse
The mountain rifle or the M70 featherweight (if you can find one) would be my first choices. But, if Ruger showed up first, I'd grab it. If you find one of the others later, you can pick one up and sell the Ruger, although you just might not want to.

THIS.......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
According to my records I've owned 14 7x57s, and hunted with most of them. Never had a Model 70 Featherweight, though that would seem to be a good choice, based on my experience with various other 70 FWTs from pre-64s to push-feeds to Classics. But have owned and hunted with one Remington Mountain Rifle and several Rugers.

The 700 shot okay but not great. Eventually turned it into a custom rifle, whereupon the gunsmith (unknown to me) installed a "match grade" barrel with a 1-12 twist, He asked what bullet weight I'd be using most, and I told him probably around 140, assuming his question involved throat length. Did not find out what he'd done until various longer bullets would not shoot worth a schidt--whereupon I measured the twist. It turned out he'd also installed slow-twist barrels on rifles ordered by friends of mine, including a 1-12 twist on a 6mm Remington. He's still in business, but apparently finally abandoned the slow-twist accuracy theory.

Mine also included a couple of Ruger No. 1As, one a red-pad with great wood, and the other a black-pad with plain wood. The red-pad had the typical ultra-long Ruger throat of the day, and would not shoot any bullet less than 160 grains seated close to the lands. The black-pad rifle had a much shorter throat, and shot well, but the plain wood never grabbed me.

The first Ruger 77 was a tanger, which the worst barrel I've ever encountered on a Ruger rifle. Had a bore-scope, and the barrel was very rough--but also slugged it and the "tight" spots measured .287". The 77 Mark II shot well, due to Ruger starting to make their own barrels and shortening the throats, but again had very plain wood and just didn't grab me.

The bolt-action "7x57" I own now is one of the special-run .275 Rigbys. I traded into it a year ago, and it shoots as well as any 7x57 I've ever owned, including a custom rifle built by Serengeti Rifles on a Montana 1999 "short" action. (Also have a Sauer drilling, a 16x16x57R that shoots very well--for a drilling--with both handloads and factory ammo.)

The one 7x57 I really regret selling was one I stocked myself on a Brno VZ-24 action around a quarter-century ago, with A nice piece of European walnut grown in New Zealand. I made by hand from the blank with a blind magazine and 21" Shilen barrel. The rifle weighed only 7 pounds with a 4x33 Leupold--and would consistently put 5 (not 3) 140-grain Nosler Partitions into around half an inch at 100 yards. But a supposed friend talked me out of it, and I sometimes still wake up in the middle of the night wondering where that rifle is.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I’d like to pick up a light & short 7x57 for New England & Kentucky woods hunting and know that there are throat & mag length issues to consider for Remington, Ruger & Winchester. I’d enjoy advice on which to consider or maybe another option that I’m not looking at. The Remington Classic is too bulky for my needs but maybe a 700 Mtn rifle would be ok. But I sure like Ruger RL & Win Featherweight and own several of each. The rifle needs to be nimble cuz these woods are thick and I’m a tracker mostly who covers lots of ground in the woods.

I fully understand that the 7mm-08 is modern, better & similar at the same time but owning both a 6mm & 257 Roberts I’d like to complete the trio.

Throw it all in & thanks for reading my rambling thoughts!

Hard to beat a little Brno Carbine.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Good to hear the 275 is working for you:-)

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks. Graeme!

The only ammo I've shot through it so far is handloads worked up for other rifles. They shot very well!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’ve use a model 70 classic, I purchased of here secondhand. It is incredibly smooth and accurate. It is paired with a Vx-3 3.5-10 with custom reticle. It is by far my favorite woods rifle.

CK
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’d sell a couple three rifles to finance a .275 Rigby Ruger African...

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ruger African or maybe a Brno 21 or 22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have loved one of the Ruger African .275 Rigbys but none were sent to Australia,

I still have my Ruger 1A in 7x57 though. I like that rifle heaps and always come back to it after playing with something new.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I built a 7x57 on a short action M-70 EW. The build itself had numerous issues, but none of them were because of the cartridge or the action I put it in.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My first big game rifle was a first year production Ruger Model 77 Tang Safety in 308 Win; and I still have it . I also have a Ruger 77 MII in 7x57 caliber. Both are great rifles. I also have a nice Brno made sportified Mexican Mauser 98 in 7x57 that is a great handling rifle. My best friend and hunting buddy had a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 FW 30-06 that he used for everything. He had it when I met him in 1959 and it was passed on to his son when he died last year, at age 83.

The Winchester 70 FW is legendary, and as Mule Deer mentioned, the "Ruger rifles are built to last". Most importantly the 7x57 caliber is a sweet low recoiling round that has a great reputation for performance on game world wide. It is my favorite! It can take almost all the big game in North America with the exception of the great bears. And at a safe distance with 175 grain Nosler PTs or Accubonds, it could probably easily kill a Grizzly, but I personally would step up to a 30-06 or greater for a Grizzly.

But for 7x57, I would look for a good used or new rifle, I would pick the one you like best and go forth in confidence. That said, I wouldn't rule out Rem 7mm-08 the modern version of the 7x57 performance. Especially based on available factory ammo (under normal conditions), or if you do not reload.

CJ

Last edited by CascadeJinx; 03/08/21. Reason: typo
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Just bought Wife an unfired tang safety Ruger in 7x57, for a few reasons,

If she ever wants to hunt africa with me, even if she doesn't, i'll take it and get her a bag of plains game with it.
Have had a bag of ammo i loaded 25 years ago with 175gr hornady round nose bullets, they run 2385 from the little Ruger.

I even fires my hellbender 7x57 load just fine with 175gr old style grand slams, thou at 2660 instead of 2700 fps, the rifle wears a gloss 2-7 leupold, perfect light handy package imho, also put a Ernie the Gunsmith spring in it to lighten trigger pull, that rifle is zeroed and waiting on hair.

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,214
Posts18,466,272
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.