Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rosco1
- - -That fight had to do permanent damage to both of them. - - - .
Might you be referring to the later match - in Manila?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Regardless of who your favorite was it was the best era in heavy weight boxing in the 20th century.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Regardless of who your favorite was it was the best era in heavy weight boxing in the 20th century.

Or ever.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by rosco1
- - -That fight had to do permanent damage to both of them. - - - .
Might you be referring to the later match - in Manila?

Both fights actually. Seems like I heard Frazier spent a month in the hospital after the first one, and he was the winner!

These fights took place before I was born, so I don’t know a whole lot about the lead up or aftermath, but just watching them I have to think they lived with the physical and mental consequences of it. I don’t know if modern fighters would do that for 15 rounds, one or the other would likely go down and not bother getting up.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Watched it today. Joe was just not going to stop that night. He is my all time favorite fighter, because of that relentless work ethic. No he sent win all his fights but he showed the world that inn that particular night he was the best in the world

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm probably older than most here so had better opportunities to know about and see the heavyweights of the late 40s through the 1970s, and I agree with those who say that was the best heavyweight era. Louis, Walcott, Marciano, Patterson, Frazier, Clay, etc. And, for the tight game in general there were great fighters in almost all divisions.

The best technical boxers I remember having seen were Willie Pep, Archie Moore, Ray Robinson,Jjoey Maxim and others of the time. I think the most powerful pure punchers I ever saw were Rocky Marciano, Ernie Shavers and Jim Foster.(Lt. Hvy.) There have been a bunch of great fighters in the ensuing years.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw it in Japan. One of the best heavyweight fights of all time. 2 great champions and all that hype!

All American

All the time
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ahhh, back before MMA and WWE, when the only thing people had to worry about being fixed was boxing.

I had two great aunts that were huge Ali fans. When they got drunk at parties, they would demonstrate his rope-a-dope technique.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was too busy with puberty!

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw Ali and Chuvalo in Vancouver in 1972, my Dad took my brother and myself. Our tickets were up in the high seats and when there was empty seats near ringside we all moved ringside.
Best era of boxers.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by sawbuck

I remember watching this on Wide World Of Sports.
Couldn't believe it!

That was good!

Frazier should’ve knocked that POS Clay out when he called him ignorant.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ACTDad
Watched it today. Joe was just not going to stop that night. He is my all time favorite fighter, because of that relentless work ethic. No he sent win all his fights but he showed the world that inn that particular night he was the best in the world

Yep. He beat Clay like a drum that night.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Absolutely.

Smoking Joe was awesome. That left hook.....

Probably one of the all around toughest boxer ever in my opinion

Clay was tremendously talented. Joe was a classier guy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 57 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.