Print Thread
Hop To
J
JFE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I have one of these but the feeding is less than smooth when you try to do a rapid reload.

The cartridge itself has a modern design with little taper and a sharp shoulder - it’s designed like an efficient benchrest cartridge. The other issue might be the stainless steel action - they have a reputation for being less smooth than CrMo actions.

Is this typical of the breed?

Can they be made to operate smoothly or am I best to move it on?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, it's not the stainless steel.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have the same rifle. It is pretty smooth. Has smoothed up with some use. I cleaned and lightly oiled the bolt when it was new and that helped some too. Mine had a lot of grease in and on it. Might not be quite as slick as a custom Mauser or model 70 in 375 h&h but definitely not bad at all.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Btw mine shoots extremely well too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Other than some Weatheryby, brass for the .375 Ruger is the only brass left at the Sportsmans Warehouse down the road.

He who laughs last is slow-witted.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cdnn had the blued one for like 899 I was so tempted

I like guns | optics | fishing
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Should smooth out after some use mine did, very accurate with several loads.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The MkII's have have very slick operating bolts. You can polish up any of these yourself and improve them immensely.

To me the Ruger Hawkeyes are the Mauser 98 and Model 70's of our time for lefties. We dont have large choice of options but at least theres been Ruger and Sako. I hope they produce more for us once the crazy buying stops.

One thing about stainless surfaces is that they can gall but those lugs and surfaces can be lapped and use with a lube will help.

If your looking for an grease to help slicken things up go to NAPA or O'Reillies and get an $10 tube of CRC engine assembley brake in lube grease. It comes in a black tube and has high lubricity for brake in of engine parts and it helped on my old Ruger scout rifle. Sparringly apply some of that grease like a thin film on the contact raceways and lugs where things are touching. A real thin film. The CRC lube has fine graphites and really nice slick feel to it. It the same stuff some of these firearms guys are peddling and putting in tiny Carmex size jars and marking up the price. Yeah. Buyba tube and its enough for the rest of your life and its cheap. Just use it lightly like a film and work your bolt when sitting around or watching TV if thats your thing, or a movie.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
To me the Ruger Hawkeyes are the Mauser 98 and Model 70's of our time for lefties.
And here I thought the left-handed Zastava '98 Mausers (and even the P.O. Ackley left-handed '98 Mausers) and the left-handed Winchester 70s were the "Mauser 98 and Model 70's of our time for lefties."

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Originally Posted by JFE
I have one of these but the feeding is less than smooth when you try to do a rapid reload.

The cartridge itself has a modern design with little taper and a sharp shoulder - it’s designed like an efficient benchrest cartridge. The other issue might be the stainless steel action - they have a reputation for being less smooth than CrMo actions.

Is this typical of the breed?

Can they be made to operate smoothly or am I best to move it on?

I have 2 Hawkeyes, and one is the Alaskan 375 from before when they began putting factory brakes on them. Both of my rifles are the stainless laminate, with the other being a 30-06. On both, the bolt throw operates more smoothly in an up-back forward-down motion as 4 independent motions. If I try the up and back, then forward and down motion like I do on my 700 CDL, the Hawkeye will feel rough. Maybe try that. Both my rifles are keepers and are on the never sell list. In fact, I just found some old 375 Ruger loads of 260gr Accubonds and 300gr Game Kings. Hafta take it to the range this weekend!

...on earth as it is in Texas.
J
JFE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the feedback.

From internet searches it appears that others have had similar issues. I have spent a bit of time going over the potential problem areas using needle files and sandpaper. It’s improved quite a bit but it’s still not in the same league of smoothness as other rifles I own. I expect it will improve further over time. The extractor is still a little stiff and I’ll get a smith to work that over. My rifle is from the second lot of 100 released before they became a regular factory offering.

I’ve used the rifle in a comp where you fire 8 aimed shots in 35 seconds, including one reload sequence. These sort of comps put equipment and users under pressure and show up flaws in equipment and technique. This is quite different to a normal hunting situation where you might fire 1 or 2 shots normally.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
My Hawkeye 223 was a bust if you cycled very quick ! Sent it back and smooth now ! I trust it now not before. Get it fixed so you trust it ,then you pack it .

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
To me the Ruger Hawkeyes are the Mauser 98 and Model 70's of our time for lefties.
And here I thought the left-handed Zastava '98 Mausers (and even the P.O. Ackley left-handed '98 Mausers) and the left-handed Winchester 70s were the "Mauser 98 and Model 70's of our time for lefties."

Good luck finding a Zastava 98 lefty. I cant. Id have one if possible. There are custom left hand Mauser actions but theyre extremely spendy and the Mausingfield

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck finding a Zastava 98 lefty. I cant.
I didn't realize you spoke for everyone. You know, with your obvious senile dementia, and generally half-assed views. It's like you live in your own little bubble, walled off from reality and reason.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I didn't realize you spoke for everyone. You know, with your obvious senile dementia, and generally half-assed views. It's like you live in your own little bubble, walled off from reality and reason.

Your weird. I cant find lefty mausers and ive looked. Would love to have one myself and i dont speak for anyone else.

Ive actually got an wonderful little Brno 22 small ring mauser but its right handed and i should sell it because ive never shot it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your weird. I cant find lefty mausers and ive looked.
Don't care.

Would love to have one myself and i dont speak for anyone else.
Already established and still don't care.

Ive actually got an wonderful little Brno 22 small ring mauser but its right handed and i should sell it because ive never shot it.
Also solidly in the don't care category.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Your weird. I cant find lefty mausers and ive looked.
Don't care.

Would love to have one myself and i dont speak for anyone else.
Already established and still don't care.

Also solidly in the don't care category.

Good enough for me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.