Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Wife and I have bought a new king size bed. Looking for suggestions and experience with mattresses and box springs. We have a queen now. Haven’t shopped for a mattress or box spring in many years. Last one we bought was from a local dept store long since closed.

What we are seeing online are lots of brands and options unfamiliar to us. Many ship to house without ever trying them. Leary about the “Purple” and “Casper” type foam ones but both of us are open minded. Anyone care to share their experiences good and bad?

GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
My wife and I just purchase a Temperpedic. We looked at all of the others and in the end decided on the most expensive of them all. I was a lot like you in that we haven't bought a mattress in 15+ years. If you figure how much time you spend in bed, it's worth the greater investment to be comfortable. We just pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago and mattress is still in transit, so I can't comment if we made the right decision.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I brought a Stearns & Foster mattress about 15 years ago.

I believe it was a Devonshire. That doesn't really matter only the D matters.

A different store sells the exact same mattress with a name Derbyshire or Dutton.

The D was a ranking on quality.

I seem to recall it was fairly expensive. But it was very comfortable and I think it came with a 20-year warranty.

I elected not to buy the box spring. Which was stupidly overpriced for being absolutely nothing. Ended up building a custom bed. Space under the mattress where the box springs typically goes, became pull-out shelves.

We also have a high quality foam mattress at another house. But that technology changes so fast any information I provide would not be helpful.

There are a whole lot of games and markups in The Mattress and Furniture World. If you knew somebody in the business you might be able to get better answers on True Values

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
25 year old , red hair, has own toys and income, not terribly bright.

Last edited by las; 03/08/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by las
25 year old , red hair, has own toys and income, not terribly bright.
The Harry Markle thread is that way ---->

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Damn I thought I was going to learn about a new epoxy!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We love our Sleep Number, but you seem settled in (as in sleeping trough) for a conventional mattress. But I WILL recommend this: bamboo sheets. Try once and you'll never sleep with anything else.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Based on other's recommendations I got a Foster and Stearns mattress. I regret it. It is already taking a set and forming a divot where I sleep. For a mattress costing over $2K, I expected MUCH better. Avoid!

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by batch
Based on other's recommendations I got a Foster and Stearns mattress. I regret it. It is already taking a set and forming a divot where I sleep. For a mattress costing over $2K, I expected MUCH better. Avoid!

We've gone through about 3 mattresses in around 15 years due to sagging/settling/compression of the material. We just recently started using a cheaper version of a memory foam mattress. I'm talking about the type that's shipped in a box, which when the mattress is fully expanded, is about 10 times too small to hold the mattress. We went with a very hard one and topped it with a thin, inexpensive memory foam topper. It's working pretty well so far, and we won't be out as much when it inevitably sags.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sleep Number NEVER sags. Can't. Unless you want it to, and then you dial in a lower number.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Sleep Number NEVER sags. Can't. Unless you want it to, and then you dial in a lower number.

Mine sags, it has leaked since day one and needs inflation every night or it’s like sleeping in a hammock. The aquarium pump works about half the time. High priced junk.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Saatva or Winkbed unless you're cheap like me.

We buy a good Serta extra firm with minimal padding. Then put a high density 4" memory foam on top. Replace parts as necessary. We get several years from a topper. The last mattress made it over nine years.

Supposedly Saatva, etc. are warranted to last longer, but those companies haven't been around long enough to make me bet they will be there at the end of the warranty. And I don't want to deal with warranty on part of a mattress.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Box springs are so yesteryear man !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No specific suggestions, but I would not purchase anything sight unseen or untried.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You must have bought your "Sleep Number" from the same guy who hawks Rolex watches from his overcoat because real Sleep Number beds are fully guaranteed and they have excellent customer service.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We replaced our 15 year old mattress a year or so ago with a memory foam mattress from Costco. I was pretty skeptical strange buying a mattress in a box, but it seems to be working fine. We put it on top of the old box spring and we're both sleeping better than the old mattress which was one of the better brands available at the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I couldn't be happier with my Sleep Number bed .

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
OK, Jim Monklin, a living saint, a WW2 Vet, Sargent in the Army Reserve. Jim told of being in France after it fell to the US.

They are bivouacking on a stone floor. This other solider is guarding a wine cellar.

He rolls out his bedroll, lays down, sits up, and says, that floor is hard. Drinks a bottle cognac, lays down, that floor is still hard, another bottle, and another. That feels good! He goes to sleep! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
I couldn't be happier with my Sleep Number bed .

Agreed/. Pricey but worth it for me. Customer service has been outstanding from sales, delivery, and followup.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
R
ring3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks all for the experiences and recommendations. Very helpful. Damn confusing purchase, so many options and retailers. Going to continue shopping for a week or so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.